Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Go all out, or sell the trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go all out, or sell the trucks?

I've got a huge dilemma on my hands. Been looking to purchase a house for about 8 months now, get my trucks fixed/cleaned up and ready to run for a good number of years yet, and all around get financially stable. I've never had credit problems, and I don't have any now either, but want to get everything in a row and start planning for the future. Now, a little insight to the situation at hand: both trucks are paid off, as well as all mods done to them, found a nice house for 90k that I'm ready to commit to, and the g/f has a couple kids(that's where the trucks come into play).

My 95 needs a good tranny put in it, whether I pull the sticks and plate out or not, a set of rear springs, pump work, a new manifold, steering box, and the 4wd figured out, as well as some other minor maintnance items associated with 208k miles. My 97 doesn't need much in the way of hard parts, but is the play truck, and I want to do some stuff to it. It does need a paint job and some other cosmetic stuff.

I know, priorities need to be put in order, and that's what I'm trying to get accomplished here. Anyways, both trucks club cabs, and it's a total PITA putting carseats in the back and getting the kids in/out. I really don't need two diesels either.

I've been looking into a quad cab 2nd Gen truck for myself, and a 4 door car for her to drive. I'm fairly sure I can get a 24v for less than a 98 QC 12v, and have been leaning towards the 24v anyways. With that, I could have the power and driveability/economy I have now with both trucks, in that I can turn a box on and off with them. The turbo, intake, exhaust, gauges could be removed from my 97 and put on the 24v without problems.

Do I suck it up and deal with the club cab, and have two trucks that are paid off? Or do I sell them both off, with the intentions of getting a quad cab 24 valve, and 4 door car so that we both have something to drive? I have to do something concrete with the vehicle situation before commiting to a house, and am finding it very hard. Sorry for the long post, I'm just looking for some advice from dieselheads that can understand where I'm coming from with the financial part too.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:46 PM

The best vehicle you can own is one that is paid for. If it were me, Id sell one truck and take that money and buy a sedan or mid sized SUV. with those, you get room for kids and fuel economy. Drive the remaining truck while you save money for a new 4 door someday. The key is no payments. Assuming you don't have to make payments on that car/suv, that should leave plenty of $$ for the house. Just my opinion.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totall agree, that was exactly what I was going to sugest.

You are right, you don't need 2 diesel trucks. Pick the best one, keep it, sell the other one and buy a decen car with the money. Mods and a fun truck are not as important as a home.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 PM

I've been studying the car ads and ebay, and I'm confident I can get a good price on my 97, and turn around and pay cash for another truck. If I can't quite go straight across, I have a couple grand extra to take care of it, as well as the down payment on the house. I won't have a loan on any of the vehicles in question. I do not plan on trading, but instead plan on selling outright and paying cash.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:17 PM
JKM

A question I would be asking myself here , is do i really NEED a diesel truck? with fuel prices , it is hard to justify , unless you tow A LOT. I switched to a gasser for my daily driver.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 AM

You found a house for 90k? dont let that slip!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roughstock
The best vehicle you can own is one that is paid for. If it were me, Id sell one truck and take that money and buy a sedan or mid sized SUV. with those, you get room for kids and fuel economy. Drive the remaining truck while you save money for a new 4 door someday. The key is no payments. Assuming you don't have to make payments on that car/suv, that should leave plenty of $$ for the house. Just my opinion.

A paid-off vehicle is a great idea, but it's not to say that any vehicle is best just because it's paid for. If your paid-off vehicle is eating you alive with maintenance and operational cost (read: high fuel costs, etc), then perhaps it's better to get rid of it in favor of another "paid for" vehicle that has much lower operating expenses.

If I had to get rid of my truck (which is possible), I'd be downgrading to a 12-20 year old Honda or something that cost less than $2K or so and still gets good mileage.

jmo
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM

I have contemplated getting a gasser, and paying less for fuel. However, I need a fullsize truck. I've had a couple gasser pickups, and would figure an avg of 15 mpg with them. On a diesel, I will figure an avg of 18 mpg. I drive approx 18,000 miles a year, so the diesel comes out ahead using fuel costs of 3.10 for gas and 3.50 for diesel. Regular maintnance costs about equal out between the two.

As far as 90k for a house, there are tons in the 75-100k range around here. The house I'm looking at has a 36x48 poleshed, 4 bedrooms, 2 acres, a 2 two car detached garage and 1,500 sq ft. Not at all uncommon in this area.

As for downgrading vehicles, I can't do it. With buying a house, I need reliable, economical, and safe transportation. I will be locked into whatever vehicles I decide upon for a minimum of 5 years with having a mortgage. I feel that any sooner than that would cause problems financially.

I've sat down and run the numbers many times. I can't help but want to keep both of my trucks and have some fun with them, but I also want to be set for the future and having the house.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:17 PM

Theres nothing like not having a car payment
Old 01-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by strokerace
Theres nothing like not having a car payment
Theres nothing like buying a 4 bed 2 acre house for 90k either.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:39 PM

Man its getting hard to pick up 2acres here for under 50k, much less a house alone for under 150k....sounds like theres a price to living in the best state ever.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:02 PM

Sell the '95, keep the '97, buy a car for the family. (A Honda Odyssy would be great.)

Play and work with the '97, go to town, get grocerys in the family car.

My $.02

Merrick
Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by MCummings
Sell the '95, keep the '97, buy a car for the family. (A Honda Odyssy would be great.)

My $.02

Merrick
Thats what I do. I have a 97 to pull trailers and do work stuff, we have a Grand Marquis for road trips and groceries. and a REAL beater for rough stuff.....a 200 dollar 1978 ford pickup with custom rust.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by roughstock
...a 200 dollar 1978 ford pickup with custom rust.
! Custom Rust !

Merrick
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by MCummings

My $.02

Merrick

I've been leaning towards this as well. With her having a car, the club cab would work ok for the occassional times when the kids ride in the truck. It's just been a royal PITA lately always putting the kids in the backseat of my trucks.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Go all out, or sell the trucks?