Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gasser in future?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Gasser in future?

With the new life time warranty on some Dodges
Has anyone else considered going Gas?Its cheaper and the Cummins still only has a 100000 warranty.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But not the same kinda power. Not to mention, with new technology, electronics and chassis will be the main things to fail, seeing as how engines can run for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, and those things arent covered under the lifetime warranty, powertrain only right?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Originally Posted by rbrettctd
But not the same kinda power. Not to mention, with new technology, electronics and chassis will be the main things to fail, seeing as how engines can run for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues, and those things arent covered under the lifetime warranty, powertrain only right?
True but many things fail on our rigs now. Can I Say 3 VP 44s $$$$$$$
Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, with diesel being $3.68 right now, and expected to hit $4 this winter. I'm thinkin, get a motorcycle and rain gear for my transportation.....and have to get a different line of work since my truck and excavator both run on diesel.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM

Im considering switching to a gasser for the next few years.

I hardly tow/haul stuff anymore now that Im back in school for a while. I feel bad that I have to make myself drive my truck ever other week just to make sure it gets driven.

Ive driven a 3/4 quad shorty yesterday actually with the Hemi and was pretty happy with it. Its not the same as the cummins at all, but at least the truck is the same. Im one of those that actually likes the Dodge trucks not just for the cummins.

I drove a 06 Ford with the 5.4.... dog dog dog. I can't stand Chevy's anymore. Except I looked at a 96 3/4 Burban! Needs some work, but its cheap.

Me and the wife love the 03-05 Dodges. Still going to look at some diesels, but might consider a brand new 08 3/4 ton gasser. Also, considering the 1/2 ton Mega as well, but its kind of big to drive everyday.

Oh, the warranty ain't bad, but I could really care less about it.

Well, thats my .02. Have a good one.

ps. The 20k trade in value for my truck made me happy at a couple dealers. Makes me want to keep my truck! Its like gold...keeps going up in value.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Box5
Well, with diesel being $3.68 right now, and expected to hit $4 this winter. I'm thinkin, get a motorcycle and rain gear for my transportation.....and have to get a different line of work since my truck and excavator both run on diesel.
Heh, I'm actually currently doing this. I bought the Ducati to show boat on but now I'm jumping on it to go most places on the weekends. Two problems, maintenance is more demanding for the bike especially rear tires and if you get into a wreck they usually don't turn out well .

Anyway, it seems like prices avg out over the course of the year. If I cut my miles back in the winter in the truck i'm ahead of the game... But those V10 Fords are looking awfully nice right now never thought I'd ever say that.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 PM

Not gonna happen at our house.

My wife did trade her TDI Beetle this year for a Toyota minivan only because she wanted "more room". The minivan mileage is in the low 20's and the Beetle got mid 40's so we are definitely not saving any $$.

The truck is parked during the week while I drive the Jetta but it gets used quite a bit on the weekends. With that type of use I expect to keep it forever.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:05 AM

Mechanical engine failures are quite rare these days for gassers, this isn't the 70's any more, higher quality metals are used so they just don't wear out, i've seen 6.0 chevy's torn down at 250k that showed no wear to speak of, only reason they were torn down was people thinking they can go 25k on an oil change and spun rod bearings as a result. Also gas prices are rising as well and a similar gas powered vehicle is certain to get at least 25% less fuel economy so any money saved on fuel at the pump is lost in economy.
just my .02.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Looking hard at these when they come out next year.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=117630

As a commuter, tough to beat. ie: 40 mpg.
And they are built to actually survive well in a collision.

And I can always stuff it in the glovebox of the Ram when I take a trip, to use as a spare.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Heh, I'm actually currently doing this. I bought the Ducati to show boat on but now I'm jumping on it to go most places on the weekends. Two problems, maintenance is more demanding for the bike especially rear tires and if you get into a wreck they usually don't turn out well .

Anyway, it seems like prices avg out over the course of the year. If I cut my miles back in the winter in the truck i'm ahead of the game... But those V10 Fords are looking awfully nice right now never thought I'd ever say that.
My friends superduty with the V 10 gasser gets 7 mpg pulling a little 14 foot trailer. We hooked up my 06 Cummins and I got 14 doing 80. The V 10 could only hit 80 going down hill with a tail wind With gas at 3.10 and Diesel at 3.40 the V10 is one step better then walking!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Looking hard at these when they come out next year.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=117630

As a commuter, tough to beat. ie: 40 mpg.
And they are built to actually survive well in a collision.

And I can always stuff it in the glovebox of the Ram when I take a trip, to use as a spare.

If you want to get crazy you can get a Hayabusa engine conversion. If you go to Youtube search "Smartuki" and check that out.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
vet:

I have the same thoughts, other than I have to have the rattle.

Look at it like this, my buddy the dealer just sold a 1/2 ton crewcab 4X4 hemi loaded inferno red for 24,500. Added to that was a roughly 2500 dollar lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, so lets say fro 27K the customer bought a truck that he will never, ever have to deal with anything more than the general maintenance items ( brakes, tires, etc. )

How can you go wrong?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:13 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Originally Posted by patdaly
vet:

I have the same thoughts, other than I have to have the rattle.

Look at it like this, my buddy the dealer just sold a 1/2 ton crewcab 4X4 hemi loaded inferno red for 24,500. Added to that was a roughly 2500 dollar lifetime bumper to bumper warranty, so lets say fro 27K the customer bought a truck that he will never, ever have to deal with anything more than the general maintenance items ( brakes, tires, etc. )

How can you go wrong?
This is what I have been thinking. and I dont tow like I used to so I dont need all the power anymore.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:12 PM

or you could get a yaris it gets like 55/60 or something like that. or push out a lil cash, invest in your own biodiesel conversion center and take the left over oil off the restaurants hands. seeing as how everybody is turning to fast food, more oil is being used, and more is left over. convert that to biodiesel in a old tiny diesel mercedes and only have to fill up once a month.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Chapter President

If this comes stateside, I might have to consider giving it a serious look. My truck will be payed off in the next month or so, the diesel prices won't hurt as much with the payment gone.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4219904.html

Quick Reply: Gasser in future?