Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Feel Good Story

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Feel Good Story

My Marine nephew is on his way home on leave from NC. Last night he stopped somewhere in Georgia to fill up. While he was filling up, an elderly gentleman saw the base stickers on his truck, and asked him if was in the military. When he went in to pay, the man and his wife had paid for his gas and bought him a cup of coffee. He caught the man before he left and tried to give him his money back. The gentleman would have no part of it saying he appreciated the job our military was doing.

I've bought a few lunches and drinks, but have yet to have the opportunity to fill up a fuel tank.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, that is the southern hospiltality that you get in good ole Georgia..
Old 09-12-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Now that brought a tear to my eye. That gentleman and his wife are a great example of what it means to be appreciative and support our troops. Through actions, not words.

Way to go Georgia!

(I'm gonna drag the ol' Navy blues out of mothballs and see if they still fit (fat chance of that! )maybe I'll get some freebees too)

Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

(I'm gonna drag the ol' Navy blues out of mothballs and see if they still fit (fat chance of that! )maybe I'll get some freebees too)

[/QUOTE]

uhhhh, seamen.......
Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 PM

well geico, you could join the YMCA group and sing with them then, just don't go down to The Blue Oyster lounge from police academy.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us, real encouraging.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I had something like that happen to me once.

When I was in San Diego I was stationed on the USCGC Chase. One night I had taken my wife and newborn out to dinner at a steakhouse near where we lived in El Cajon. This was a day or two before I was to get underway for a patrol. While we were eating the waitress had come over to check on us and dang near had tears in her eyes. She told us a nice couple had noticed us and recognized me as military (must have been my haircut). The couple had handed the waitress a 20 dollar bill and told her to put that towards our check. Dang near brought tears to my wifes eyes when she told us that. We never saw who it was that gave the waitress the $20, and I never got the chance to thank them. Made me very proud to know there are people that really appreciate what we do. My wife and I will always remember that for the rest of our lives.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I had something like that happen to me once.

When I was in San Diego I was stationed on the USCGC Chase. One night I had taken my wife and newborn out to dinner at a steakhouse near where we lived in El Cajon. This was a day or two before I was to get underway for a patrol. While we were eating the waitress had come over to check on us and dang near had tears in her eyes. She told us a nice couple had noticed us and recognized me as military (must have been my haircut). The couple had handed the waitress a 20 dollar bill and told her to put that towards our check. Dang near brought tears to my wifes eyes when she told us that. We never saw who it was that gave the waitress the $20, and I never got the chance to thank them. Made me very proud to know there are people that really appreciate what we do. My wife and I will always remember that for the rest of our lives.
Geeez things have changed! When I was in SD there were signs on the yards saying "Dogs & Sailors Keep Off The Grass". Being in the military in the 70's was not much fun. Glad things have changed.