Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Farm Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Farm Diesel

I was woundering what the difference between farm diesel and road diesel besides the color? I have heard of it causing damage to the newer cummins engings. How safe do you think it is to run on the "farm" of course.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:19 PM

It will sometimes have a slightly higher sulfer content which is good for lubrication. In most cases these days, it is the same fuel, just dyed red to denote less taxes for those that are using it for off-road use. It's just a way to give a break to the farmers and those that are not putting wear and tear on the roads.

BTW, government agencies can use it on-road as well.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:11 PM

Wounder how many fbi agents we have on here?
Old 09-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ttexas25
Wounder how many fbi agents we have on here?
Actually, that would be IRS agents, as they deal with taxes.

I do believe we have a number of Law Enforcement officers though, either current or retired.

phox
Old 09-24-2004, 09:36 PM

I emailed star service and asked if it was ok to run farm fuel red die in the truck they said it was ok to use but not on the highway for farm use only ha ha
Old 09-24-2004, 10:24 PM

One of our members by the handle "tankeryanker" hauls fuel. You might PM him for a good idea of what does, and does not, happen with off road only fuel.

Matt
Old 09-24-2004, 10:26 PM

I tell you won thing. The more diesel continues to rise, the size of the farm is going to be as big as texas.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:30 PM

A friend of mine just got a ticket last week from a Texas DPS trooper for running the red farm diesel in his truck while on the highway. Used some sort of device to stick into the tank and get a sample.
He went to the Justice of the Peace today to pay the fine and it was a whopping $750.00 dollars.

Also heard of some Game Wardens conducting the same kind of test on some diesel hunting trucks found operating on roads going to and from different ranches lately.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:15 AM

The red dye fuel is the very same diesel as clear (non-dyed). A little of the dye used will go a long way. I believe that 1 gallon of dye is used in 3000 gallons of diesel. I have been pulled at weight station, and the man asked if he could sample my fuel. I asked him the question: What if I say no. He replies go to jail. I reply sure take your sample, two if you want. He was not the joval type person, must have been a type A person.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:29 PM

in NY the fine for getting caught with dyed un taxed diesel in a non approved application is $10000 + $1.00 / gal for all storage capacity on the farm including in approved vecihles its a pretty good incentive to obey that law and a side note sulfer is not a good lubricant in the fuel its a very common misconception and higher sulfer fuel will plug emmissions equip like the cat on the 600 and will eventually reduce preformance.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by spudman
a side note sulfer is not a good lubricant in the fuel its a very common misconception and higher sulfer fuel will plug emmissions equip like the cat on the 600 and will eventually reduce preformance.
Correct, sulphur is anything but a lubricant,
only if you think fine sand lubricates well.

It's the process to remove sulphur that also removes the lubrication properties of the fuel.

There used to be talk of the higher sulphur fuels causing swelling of gaskets,
which then shrink when you go back to normal fuel, causing leaks.

That point is moot, as 99% of those in the "know" swear that offroad/farm Diesel and regular #2 Diesel are the exact same thing,
one just has the chemical dye in it.

phox
Old 09-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 1oldsalt
I have been pulled at weight station, and the man asked if he could sample my fuel. I asked him the question: What if I say no. He replies go to jail.
Are you a commercial operator? Then you might have to submit, like the implied consent for alcohol.

If not, you say no and that's the end of it. I mean, they might come up with "probably cause" to do it anyway, but....

Hell, in either case, you can't "go to jail" for refusing to submit to a search. You might get cited and lose your commercial licenses or something, but you're not going to jail for saying no.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:13 AM

joel, I agree, and disagree at the same time. You have the right to refuse a search, unless there is probable cause to search. But on the other hand when you refuse, and the cop on mere suspection (an element of probable cause) thinks you are using off-road diesel and could be an ***** and place you under arrest for what ever traffic violation he pulled you over for (except speeding). Either way whats the odds, ive never heard of anyone getting checked unless your at the cattle action or somthing of that sort. Another question is it worth the risk? If only 750 dollar fine, not to bad. But if 10000 i think ill pass.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Farmers in this part of the world are allowed to run red diesel on road so long as they have a farm plate on their truck.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:27 PM

now when you get fined is there a federal and state fine or just the state fines?

Quick Reply: Farm Diesel