Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

DTRROU... DTR Relief Organization Unlimited

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hotdram
Wonder if Jack and Jonah will get called upon to perform their SAR job. Hopefully it is more rescue than recovery.

~Rob
From the reports on Yahoo news, there will be plenty of work for both.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:58 PM

The Red Cross called me today, but I had to go get a friend that broke down on the side of the road. Just now got done, they will be calling me back tomorrow. Not sure in what capacity, but I am willing to do whatever I can.

Carpooling seems like a good idea, and coming from Ohio we could meet up somewhere and carpool. This is the time for America to come together.,
Old 08-30-2005, 09:40 PM

Alrighty then. How many others would be interested in going if the Red Cross says come on?
Nat
Old 08-30-2005, 10:03 PM

At this time we need to start considering a donation pool for those who want to help, but are unable to get away. Money for fuel, food, supplies, etc. would be most welcomed at a time like this. I have the trailer on the truck, and will be talking with the Red Cross tomorrow. If anyone from around Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Michigan is going shoot me an email at bgroom@neo.rr.com, and we will correlate our schedules.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Banned

A buddy of mine is a firefighter in Hattiesburg (right outside Biloxi)

He is searching for bodies.

Hasn't heard from his wife with their 2 kids since Sunday night...
Old 08-30-2005, 10:39 PM

O.K., I haven't been involved in anything like this before, but heres a suggestion: I know any and all help is wanted, even just a strong back to shovel and clean. But maybe those of us here that have some special training- firefighters, EMTs, etc., as well as anyone with equipment, can list off what they have to contribute. It might help with deciding who could be used where, and also show what we have to offer.

Not a whole lot to offer on my part, but here goes:

-Mostly auto repair experience, but practical experience with everything from home electrical repair, plumbing, etc.
-Quite a bit of off road experience. (I'm sure that is a plus considering the condition of the land down there now!)
-Towing and recovery experience. That would be good for clearing flooded vehicles.

Equipment:
-Small generator
-Chain saw
-Chains, straps, cables, and other recovery gear.
-Lots of hand tools. Not sure how those would help, but i have them.
-Some power tools (saws, grinders, etc.)
-Welding and torch equipment. Not sure how those would help, but if they were needed, I'd happily bring them.

I'm waiting to hear about a job within the next couple days, maybe Monday of next week. If I get it, I'll be scr3wed...I'll have to stay here. But if I don't get it, I'd be ready to go as soon as I can figure out funding. I might check with a couple local businesses and see if I could get money for fuel donated. Maybe even get some supplies...we are in a BIG logging area, so there is a good bet that a couple of the businesses might donate some goodies to use.

If I CAN go, is there anyone else from New England considering heading down? I did a quick calculation, and I'm looking at roughly 1700 miles one-way, 27 hours straight driving time (I wouldn't do that trip straight), and $225 in fuel (not counting tolls, or the return trip).

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 PM

3/4 ton truck
18' flat bed trailer
Husqvarna chain saw
spud bars
chain - strap
tools - general type
cordless drill

previous tow truck experience
throwing people out of bars
moderately strong back, although right now I am out of shape
auto repair skills
have spent some time beating trucks (not current one!) off road

Hopefully some businesses would contribute something small, donations, supplies, anything that would help

Might hear about a job tomorrow, but if not then I could go later this week, wife works tomorrow night then off for a week. I could spend a week to ten days down there, get some roads opened up and general assistance. I would think 4 wheelers with winches would be in big demand, because they can go were trucks can't.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

I am going to be going down when the rebuilding begins. That is what most of my skills are.

And rebuilding usually happens after the first rush of support wanes. I want to go down with chains and chainsaws, but I know if I go now I will not be able go to donate my time, skills, and tools as much once the rebuilding begins.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:06 AM

i would like to go. i will be trying to get something together up here. cant afford it, but i will try and do what i can.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:12 AM

I'd be on it in a heartbeat if I had more leave time. I can send a little fuel / food money but that's the best I can offer this time.

PISTOL
Old 08-31-2005, 07:00 AM

I cannot go until after Labor Day, possibly the week after. To members who want to go immediately my advise is to first see if you can get 3 friends who share your desire. 3-4 people can travel together comfortably in a single vehicle and have a good chance of staying together for the duration. If you can get more, keep in mind groups of 4 work best. Don't try to put everyone in vans. Slim chance every DTR member could be used in the same town... the need is just too widespread. and no one wants to see closer volunteers drive past areas they could be used and no one wants to waste time sitting in parking lots waiting on other members. It's no easy task coordinating multiple vehicle convoys halfway across the country.
Multiple vehicle convoys do need two-way or CB radios in each because some will get lost especially in areas where there's no road signs.
After you get a group of 4 or more locals, contact the Red Cross to determine where they can use you. Ordinarily (but this is far from an ordinary) disaster coordinators ask for a 7-day rotation committment. Add 600 miles per day travel days to and from and you can determine how many day committment you may have to make. To some that may mean a 14 day committment. If the Red Cross cannnot use you now, there's plenty of time.
Tiny, I would be very interested in hearing what the Red Cross tells you.
Nat
Old 08-31-2005, 07:10 AM

One more thing, each person has to provide their own inflatable sleeping mattress or fold away cot. Shower facilities maybe be nill.
Nat
and another. If you want to bring a trailer, make it one you can lock up your tools in. Tools get stolen by the people you may be trying to help.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:15 AM

I just got up, will be calling A.R.C. in a few minutes once I get my bearings. I will post what they say.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:57 AM

Well I wish I could afford to take off work and help, but my students and FFA members at school are starting to collect money to be sent to the Red Cross. God Bless and Good luck to all those that do go down to help, those that can't send money if you can.

Eventually they will need help rebuilding schools, I know a group of High School Agriculture Teachers that will be starting a collection for tools, textbooks, etc. to help them out once they know what is needed. I will post on here in the weeks to follow once those needs are known if anyone is interested in helping.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:09 AM

Called A.R.C. just now, waiting on them to call back. I will post what I am told for anyone that is interested. Also e-mailed prospective employer to state my intentions, hope it does not hinder chances of getting a job. Stay tuned for more info!

Quick Reply: DTRROU... DTR Relief Organization Unlimited