Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Driving Distracted

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Distracted

I read this story on my internet enabled cell phone while I was drinking coffee and driving into work today Click here

~Rob
Old 04-20-2006, 03:08 PM

So what is distracting?

If I'm eating while I'm driving, I'm paying real close attention to the burger in my hand!!! That is not distracting, that is being focused.

I don't see a problem.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2006, 03:41 PM

Cracks me up they have to do a "Study" on something like that. How much money was wasted on this study? And how are you only "3 time more likely to have a crash"? I would say common sense says you are 100% more likely to have a crash when your NOT LOOKING AT THE ROAD...

Hub
Old 04-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Banned

I agree. I can't believe they wasted the time, money, and resources on something as stupid as this. Well of course your more likely to have a wreck if your doing something else. DUH!!! Oh well. I guess now that it's published it's proven fact and the lawyers can use it in a court case.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excuse me, I just set the cruise control so I could hook up the fax and type up some new memos to the boss while lighting a cigarette and eating a double cheeseburger with fries and a large drink and dialing the phone number to the house while looking at the pager and putting the latest MI III movie in the DVD while listening to Garmon tell me where to go. And your problem is?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
Excuse me, I just set the cruise control so I could hook up the fax and type up some new memos to the boss while lighting a cigarette and eating a double cheeseburger with fries and a large drink and dialing the phone number to the house while looking at the pager and putting the latest MI III movie in the DVD while listening to Garmon tell me where to go. And your problem is?
And they got on my case for using a paintball gun while driving...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

This is no joke, I saw a woman working on a crossword puzzle one day that she had on the steering wheel. We got on the interstate together and she was steady filling in blanks. Needless to say, I backed off and left her go her merry little way.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:06 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they forgot to mention a couple of things first off most people know there phones good enuff to dial with out really looking at the numbers. second i think your more likely to get in a crash by doing somthing as simple as looking away to check your mirriors or you look up to check your rearview mirror and in the tiem you were checkin your mirror you look back to the road 100 differnt things could have happend or gone by while your were doin what your supoda be doin.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy83
they forgot to mention a couple of things first off most people know there phones good enuff to dial with out really looking at the numbers. second i think your more likely to get in a crash by doing somthing as simple as looking away to check your mirriors or you look up to check your rearview mirror and in the tiem you were checkin your mirror you look back to the road 100 differnt things could have happend or gone by while your were doin what your supoda be doin.
That's what happened to me in my first wreck. I turned to check my mirrors and the car in front of me decided to stop at the red light.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
and the car in front of me decided to stop at the red light.
I hate those bad drivers!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:37 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

ya know, as much attention as cell phones are getting, I am reminded of a buddy of mine. he is your average guy with one small exception. He has crashed 6 times. Everytime it was because he was adjusting his radio.
My point is, your cell phone, laptop, pda, air conditioner, even a hot babe walking along the sidewalk, they are all distractions and they all cause crashes.
LEARN TO DRIVE!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
even a hot babe walking along the sidewalk,
LEARN TO DRIVE!
You have no idea how many times I've almost wrecked because of that very fact.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:50 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by BigBlue
You have no idea how many times I've almost wrecked because of that very fact.
I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't been there my self....
Old 04-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Banned

Yeah. Just the other day I was in the work van cruising through the apartment parking lot during one of their pool parties and I almost wrecked twice. I love college.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:41 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
People are always going to be distracted while driving. It's a fact of life and nothing is going to change human nature. Some people must take their kids in the car with them. They must have their radio on. They must have a cell phone. Some must light cigarettes, drink sodas, talk to the people in the back seat, etc...

It's just silly to imagine these distractions can somehow be legislated or trained out of existence. For a driver to be forced to ignore everything else in the vehicle and concentrate solely on driving would make the task of driving extremely boring and would probably lead to drivers falling asleep more often. In fact I remember an old driving manual issued by Kansas that said if you feel sleepy to turn the radio up LOUD!

Beware the law of unintended consequences. Also understand that whatever the government touches it usually messes up badly.

Edwin

Quick Reply: Driving Distracted