Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dove hunting

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:40 AM
JKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dove hunting

Any one get any of those "ring-neck" doves? Do they have the same taste as the mourning dove?

Those ring-necks haven't really gotten here yet. I haven't seen any claimed on the field.

Just curious. Maybe I'll get one before season ends. Our first phase opened last Saturday.

Happy shootin'. - JKE
Old 09-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We got a couple last week. All the ones we got were considerably larger than a white wing or white tip. We haven't eaten them yet because we're going back out this weekend with the hopes of getting enough to make a meal.

In Texas those are considered "exotics" and, if I recall correctly, there is no limit on them.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Last time I went dove hunting (several years ago), the group of "hunters" (with their multiple coolers of "adult beverages") across the field seem to be following the "If it flys, It dies" hunting rules.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:28 AM

At one point during a very slow hunt last weekend, we considered enforcing an "if it moves it's fair game" rule, but eventually common sense prevailed and we decided that the rancher whose field we were in probably wouldn't like us shooting at his cattle (even though they were very easy targets).

Disclaimer: No cattle were injured or shot during the making of this post.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:34 AM

You gotta watch out for those flying pigs too.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
JKE

We had an active shoot Saturday...WMA field. Can't get on field until Highnoon and 50 shells only. 12 bird limit regardless of type. Shoot stops at 6pm.

I'm not a great shot, but really enjoy it. Learning each time. Ran out of ammo at 4:57 and the birds were coming in continuously. Didn't have time to reload without multiples flying over...and I'm slow with this old A5. The guys that ran out of ammo got a good ribbing as they left the field. Couldn't help but to laugh. Good times.

Gonna go again this Saturday.

I'm looking forward to getting a "feed" report on those ring-necks, Hoss.

Budy of mine that went couldn't hit anything. He came over during the shoot and said..."Hey, what's Cardinal taste like.?"..."I don't know. Why?"..."They're slow and I think there's a nest in this here tree you're standing under...we could have scrambled eggs too."

Hoss- how are you cooking your birds?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by JKE

Budy of mine that went couldn't hit anything. He came over during the shoot and said..."Hey, what's Cardinal taste like.?"..."I don't know. Why?"..."They're slow and I think there's a nest in this here tree you're standing under...we could have scrambled eggs too."

Hoss- how are you cooking your birds?

I'm not ashamed to admit that I gave serious thought to shooting a few little cheep-cheep birds that were flying around in the trees behind me. Heck, at one point I almost drew a bead on a dragon fly.

I think we're going to go with the jalapeno and bacon recipe. I've heard it's good if you stuff the jalapeno with cream cheese too, so we may try that.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
JKE

You see something out of the corner of your eye and think it's a dove way out there. You jerk your head around and it's a dang dragonfly at 10yds. Get worked up fer nothin'.

Not sure what you are working on there, Hoss. I have done cream cheese peppers with season salt on them and they are great. I have wrapped dove in bacon, secure with a toothpick and grill. However, I have never stuffed a dove breast with Jalapeno, cream cheese, bacon and cooked it...

EDIT: wait a minute...my post count was 911 back in the day. I left it at that number on purpose. What happened while I was gone?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:48 PM

New software a coupla weeks ago apparently counts differently that the old software.
I lost a few hundred, BigBlue lost a few thousand.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:52 PM
JKE

Roger that

I'll have to see if I can do something about that...
Old 09-14-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by JKE

Not sure what you are working on there, Hoss. I have done cream cheese peppers with season salt on them and they are great. I have wrapped dove in bacon, secure with a toothpick and grill. However, I have never stuffed a dove breast with Jalapeno, cream cheese, bacon and cooked it...
Neither have I, but I hear it's good.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Ya know? That DOES sound pretty tasty! Time to put the bird feeder out back.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys know, there's a reason why the only good way to cook dove is with sour cream, jalapeno's, guacamole, bacon, beer batter and nutmeg.

That's because dove isn't meant for human consumption. What wouldn't taste good smothered in sour cream, bacon and jalapeno?

Chickens aren't as fun to shoot, but they taste good with just a few scattered herbs...
Old 09-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Talking about the dragon flies made me laugh. We had an opening day in NC so slow once that we had a one-handed dragon fly shooting contest. Shot up a bunch of shells at dragon flies, then started topping tobacco plants with 7 1/2's. Then went to throwing up empty shells and shooting those. Very slow day.

I've about whiplashed myself more than once, when a fly or bug is just in the corner of your view and you think it's a dove. Even dirty spots on my sunglasses have gotten me before.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Timberman
Talking about the dragon flies made me laugh. We had an opening day in NC so slow once that we had a one-handed dragon fly shooting contest. Shot up a bunch of shells at dragon flies, then started topping tobacco plants with 7 1/2's. Then went to throwing up empty shells and shooting those. Very slow day.
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but at one point last Saturday we got so desperate to shoot something that no less than 10 crab apples and/or cow patties got thrown up into the air.

We managed to bag two birds a piece, but once it slowed down just about anything became fair game (as you can tell).

Finally, we put the shotguns up and went down into the dried up pond to shoot pistols and a friend's AK-47. Now THAT was fun.

Hopefully this Saturday we see a few more birds.

Quick Reply: Dove hunting