Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Don't know what to do.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know what to do.....(Pet Related)

Well, I have a problem on my hand. My daughters have really been on me about getting a pet, so 7 months ago I bought them each a beagle. I haven't owned a dog in over 15 years, but did read up on them before buying and they seemed to be a good choice.

Well, both dogs are very loveable, full of energy, love to take walks but they have one problem....they love to bark. At first I just dismissed it as being puppies and figured it would pass. However, the older they have got the worse it has become. They are now 8 months old.

I've did some research and learned that Beagles natural reaction to various stimuli is to bark. They bark when they are lonely, get excited, get hungry etc. Unfortunately, I live on a corner house in my neighborhood, which provides almost two much stimulus as they constantly bark. Add to that, I have a pretty small back yard with most of it being on the side facing the street and sidewalks. Right now they are 50/50 inside-outside dogs. I have been keeping them inside during the day when it is hot, and letting them outside at night when it is cool.

Something I knew was just waiting to happen, happened tonight. I got my first complaint from a neighbor. Lady was very embarassed to come over, but said what has been happening every night. Dogs stay up all night barking at any little passing car, other dog, or anything. And she wasn't telling any lies. I woke up this morning to them constantly barking.

In a way, I blame this all on me. I thought I did the right research when picking a dog, but evidently chose the wrong breed for my situation. I don't know if the fact that I got 2 dogs instead of a single dog compounded things anymore. I wonder if the sitatution would have been different if I had only gotten 1 dog.

I'm now at the point where I am considering getting rid of the dogs. I brought of the idea of getting rid of one, but that didn't fly very well, because each daughter doesn't want it to be hers. So if I do get rid of them, its got to be all or nothing. My last chance attempt to salvage the situation is to get bark collars, which I hope will help. My wife was initially against me getting dogs, and wanted a cat, but I assurred her that everything would be alright.

Do you guys have any last chance advice ? I'm trying to save face in a situation that doesn't look to be in my favor.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:37 PM

Getting rid of only one will not solve the barking. I don't really know what will stop the little yelpers. You might try taking them for a walk to burn some energy and to get to know the neighborhood. There's no doubt Beagles are vocal dogs. They are very smart also, and need to be challenged mentally.

Even in our heat, you should be able to leave them out during the day if they have shade and plenty of water. Then you can kennel them at night (which will take some training, but the results will be worth it.) Maybe a dog run would do the trick, but kennels have benefits when traveling also.

good luck, and YOOORRRRTTT for the pups.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:49 PM

Shock collars, they will work when you hit them when they bark and some models will work automaticly. Some think they are rough, neighbor used on for a week and it cured his from barking non stop. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 07-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Sorry to hear about your problem. There are a few choices. You can go with a collar, either a bark/shock collar or a citronella collar <spelt that wrong> which instead of shocking the daylights outta em it will spary citronella in their face, which dogs hate but beware some dogs don't mind it. You could also get one of those devices where it emitts a high pitched noise which is known to work as well, with this you mount it in an area in your yard, different ones cover different distances. Worst case, which I strongly advise not to, would be to have them debarked. This of course can be costly, and alot of debarkings go wrong and then you have a dog that still barks but now sounds like its barking with a sock down its throat <this sounds will drive you crazy>. If I were you I would go with the shock collars. We have used shock collars on dogs pleanty of times, usually once they learn that it hurts they will no longer bark with the collars on, and they are adjustable so you can start them out on a light shock and increase if necessary. I hope this helps.
~Heather~
Old 07-13-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm sure they can be trained not to bark, the same as they can be trained to sit or stay. Give the collars a try
Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 PM

Just did some research. The new Cabelas they just built has some shock collars for around $50 each. These are the kind that automatically shock the dog if it detects them barking. I think I'll go pick some up and try them out.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:42 AM

I dont know about those automatic collars. I had one on my dog and it would shock her when she was just walkin up the stairs, it was way too sensitive and shocked her from any loud ambient noise.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 AM

Did you see the "Simpsons" where sdie show Bob was helping solve an assacination attempt on Homer?
Old 07-14-2005, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Check out the collars on this site, I bought one for my Siberian Husky but she kind of grew out of the yipping of a puppy, now she just howls. You have to let them know who the Alpha is in the pack.
If you got rid of one of them then the one will probably be lonely and start howling along with the barking.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/
Also I save alot of money on their shots, I buy them here and give her the shots myself.
Jim.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:14 AM

barking is a natural instict fot these little guys and suppressing it is next to impossable. proably the most humane and "foolproof" way to go is to take them to your veterinarian and the can do a minor surgery to their vocal cords that leaves them unable to bark. everyone's happy this way, even the dogs, they can continue to "bark" without the noise.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used bark collars from WalMart on my Border Collie. It was the progressive type that would shock harder with each bark. It stopped her from barking when she had it on, but it didn't take her long to figure out when she didn't have it on. When I would take it off and put her regular collar back on, she would actually try a few "test" barks to make sure it wasn't there.

She's nearly four years old now and only barks when someone or other dogs get near our wood fence or when she gets excited. Excited is when the Cummins starts up, or the Polaris, mower or weedeater. When excited, she jumps and looks over the 6' wood fence. She also figured out that she could leverage on the fence rails and go over the fence where it faced the street. I had to put pickets on the inside of the part that faces the street . She is nearly four now and has calmed down a lot.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:40 AM

Are they only companions for your children or do you use them to alert you when someone comes into the yard or house ... or both ?? I don't know that I agree with shock collars and surgery to curb their natural defense ... kinda like declawing a cat. They slip out the door and are usually dog food.

If I were in your shoes (and I'm glad I'm not, again), but I would present the problem to the girls and maybe suggest that they find a more suitable home (Not a BETTER or more loving home) that will let them do what they do best ... bark and play.
Then, as part of the "responsible pet owner" talk, agree to help them find a quieter breed that will fit in with your requirements. Gonna be some tears shed ... but that is part of growing up and having animals.

It's the sort of thing that a lot of pet owners don't take into consideration BEFORE they buy (I don't know that I would have thought about the neighbors griping). We mostly tend to think of, "How big is it gonna get ?, How much is it gonna eat ?, Who is gonna take it for walks and clean up after it ? etc ...".

Those are some of the reasons the humane shelters are so overwhelmed with abandoned animals. Been there, done that ... got the t-shirt to prove it .

PISTOL
Old 07-14-2005, 07:33 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Pistol, it wouldn't be a lie to tell them that their are beter suited homes (farm) for the dogs.

The are ANIMALS, I have to remind my wife ever so often when our Chocolate Lab decides to chew up a tube of neosporine.
We call them "pets" and they ar domesticated, but they DO bark (beagles more often and WAY more annoying than other breeds)
Sounds as if the neighbor was cool about it, can't blame her for prefering sleep over a coon hunt.
It's a tough one, glad I'm not in your shoes.
If the bark collars don't produce it may be time to find a suitable Farm for them to reside on.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:36 AM

Shock collar

Killed my old blue heelers constant cocky bark... SHed show off and bite the other dogs and bark for no reason within a weeks time, i to reccomend them... However only hit them once and tell them NO! no need to shock them that bad....theyll get the picture...my current blue heeler only barks when provoked, and no i didnt kill the old one, my dad got tired of her we gave her away... she was 17 years old...

Yes i saw that show where homer tries to get assasinated by sycho bob,, shock therapy.. lol!

Tx
Old 07-14-2005, 08:58 AM

The bark collars have worked real well for our dogs.Even when we had bear hounds my wife used the bark collar on them to keep them quiet at home. they worked great. and when we went hunting, they knew that it was ok for them to bark.

Quick Reply: Don't know what to do.....