Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Donations for a vacation

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Donations for a vacation

Can't believe it worked but it did. Last month I went to a local mom and pop convienence store in town and there was a donation jar by the register that said "Taking donations for a trip to Alaska". The girl worked there and was just trying to chum up some money for the vacation of her lifetime. Anyway, there was a couple of bucks in there and I just laughed and thought yeah, right. I went back in yesterday and guess what...she got enough to cover her $800 plane fare plus $200 spending money. Gotta give it to her.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinda sad really. I am seeing more and more examples of people just "asking" for money for themselves, fundraisers or whatever.

I'd be much more inclined to donate to a school group or sports team etc. if they are working some for the money..............say a carwash or something.

I think with so many people asking for money for nothing.....it makes giving at all more challenging and dilutes the pleas of those who really need it....say for an operation that cost $60K.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
two sides to ever story

if it is a local town, and she WAS WORKING, then everyone knows the deal

there aint nothing that aint known in a small town

FYI, we had a car wash for our youth group. raised $10

did the Applebees pancake fund raiser, raised $400
Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a x sis in law sent a fund raiser e-mail to buy her daughter. (an Ungrateful Brat) at set of tires and spending money. and said i hope this is not tacky. I replied it is VERY Tacky. We have supported this 20 something kid in a few things and never even get a thanks. A spoiled Generation of gimmies is coming up.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Pretty disgusting actually....people begging for money for a vacation I understand needing help when a life changing tragedy occurs but a vacation?

On another note I am going to the Grand Caymans and Cozumel next month and I could use some spending money Please donate to Topneedsavacation.com

Remember tis the season for giving so give till it hurts!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:46 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heck yeah, I'll donate in person. gonna be ther FEBruary.....hehehehhee

remember, all the cruise ships come in tues thru thursday afternoon and stay till 10PM. you can hustle a lot from the austrians......just pick up shells on the beach

work for it, ya know? LOL oh heck- enjoy!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
heck yeah, I'll donate in person. gonna be ther FEBruary.....hehehehhee

remember, all the cruise ships come in tues thru thursday afternoon and stay till 10PM. you can hustle a lot from the austrians......just pick up shells on the beach

work for it, ya know? LOL oh heck- enjoy!
I will be there in Feb as well...I will try to pick a different dock so we don't work against each other hustling the Cruise ships
Old 12-18-2009, 01:58 PM
DTR Mom

LOL with my evil looks, they wouldn't dock.....much less think I am selling something wink wink
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Pretty disgusting actually....people begging for money for a vacation I understand needing help when a life changing tragedy occurs but a vacation?

On another note I am going to the Grand Caymans and Cozumel next month and I could use some spending money Please donate to Topneedsavacation.com

Remember tis the season for giving so give till it hurts!

And while your giving some donations to Top's vacation fund.....Don't leave me out. I can use all the help I can get!! Takes M/C, Visa, Cash gifts!

www.TexasCTDneedsyourmoneyforhoneymooncruise.com

Remember, I earned the right to your money....just because im me and I asked for it!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

having worked for a few years in a convience store, I figured out one thing pretty quick.
the need a penny / leave a penny dish, if you keep it to about 15 cents, it keeps the bums from coming in and raiding that to buy more beer. Or just raiding it period.
If you keep that dish to about 15 cents and throw the rest of teh change behind the counter, a dollar an hour isn't unheard of if your busy.. quite a few people will just drop there change in there instead of in the pocket.

come to think of it, that tray bought my six pack each day I worked... and 8 hour in a stop and rob, you need a drink... Im surprised I never drank while I was there...
Old 12-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Chapter President

Just don't take vacations, no donation requests, no hassles.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Hay guys, don't be so hard on her. Some of us work are ***** off all are lives and can't save enough for a "real" vacation. A vacation for me is 2 weeks on my patch of dirt in Tok, AK. I don't make enough money for the toys after paying the bills. So my vacation is spent working on were I will be retiring, may be.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cougar, don't be a responsible adult. Borrow yourself into a hole you can never get out of, and have ALL the toys.

I understand where you're coming from, I am the same way, live within your means, or not at all.

And if you're busting your butt, and people see it, and choose to donate to your cause, more power to you.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 PM

I'll donate a place to stay.....
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
I'll donate a place to stay.....
If you wanna vacation up there, I'll save you a long trip... you can stay in my freezer!

chaikwa.

Quick Reply: Donations for a vacation