Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Do you tip at a car wash...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you tip at a car wash...

Yea, go ahead, beat me up for not washing it myself but time is short this week.

So the question is: do you tip the guy/gal that dries, vacuums, and cleans out the truck? If so, how much.

The guy today kinda sucked, didn't get the inside of the windshield very clean. Guess if you want it done right, do it yourself.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:38 PM

My parents used to own a F/s carwash for about 14 years. I worked in the vacuum & prep area until I finished college (14 - 20). For me, I always appreciated people handing me the money personally (not put it in the box). If they put the money in the box up front, the guys that actually do the cleaning (vac & prep) guys never see it & you don't really get any extra effort put forth. When I go in now, I usually give the vac/prep guys a couple bucks & give the windows guy up front a buck after I look it over. Windows guys always screw it up, but it's not really their fault as the boss buys cheap soap for the towels.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:40 PM

I forgot to mention that EVERYONE splitted the tips, not just the guys working on it. It was just nice to see the money in person first. We put the money in a box and split the tips w/ everyone just to make it fair. It also made everyone do some quality control when they weren't doing anything else.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by carcrz
My parents used to own a F/s carwash for about 14 years. I worked in the vacuum & prep area until I finished college (14 - 20). For me, I always appreciated people handing me the money personally (not put it in the box). If they put the money in the box up front, the guys that actually do the cleaning (vac & prep) guys never see it & you don't really get any extra effort put forth. When I go in now, I usually give the vac/prep guys a couple bucks & give the windows guy up front a buck after I look it over. Windows guys always screw it up, but it's not really their fault as the boss buys cheap soap for the towels.
Yea, kinda tough to be hard on the guy since he may not be making much. Watching some of them work is interesting. One of the guys was really maticulous as he worked on a F150. I'd pay him an extra 10 or 20 to do mine 'cause he really made the truck shine. Maybe next time I'll ask if he can do it.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 PM

yea sometimes i run it through the delta sonic. It works pretty good. I do give them a couple bucks for a tip, however did you ever notice the water that sprinkles out of the mirrors on the way home? It makes for a mess on a black truck
Old 09-11-2006, 04:53 PM

There's really no way to solve that problem. Just before we sold ours, we installed some air hoses that we could blow out the mirrors, but even that didn't get everything. I'd just recommend wiping it all down whenever you get to your next destination.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:55 PM

It depends on how short her shorts were, and how "low" she got when drying off the vehicle.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:00 PM

depends on how god of a job they do.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:00 PM

I do it the same as at a resteraunt. x2 for first number $20 bill = 4 , $100 bill = $20, etc, etc. those guys don't make jack. I know, I know then find another job, but someone has to do it. just my 2cents
Old 09-11-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by mattk50
depends on how god of a job they do.
EXACTLY!!! To some, a dollar makes a difference, to others they really don't give a hoot. For us, we always paid our guys fairly decent so they already did a good job. But most washes don't pay more than a dollar over min. wage, so imagine how much time they would spend on your truck for an extra $5. I can see the manager now
Old 09-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by TomW
It depends on how short her shorts were, and how "low" she got when drying off the vehicle.
How obvious, now I feel like an idiot.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tip at the carwash?.........Not a bad idea, I could take the money out of one pocket, put it in the other, and then put it in my tire fund jar when I get home. In other words, the only carwash my truck has ever seen is self-service.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 AM

9%, I ain't tipping more than I put in the offering plate on Sunday.

We were told to give 1/10th, so why should I give the waitress or car wash guy/gal more than that???
Old 09-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HappyGA
9%, I ain't tipping more than I put in the offering plate on Sunday.

We were told to give 1/10th, so why should I give the waitress or car wash guy/gal more than that???
I tried the same logic against the IRS once... They said "render unto Caesar", I think...
Old 09-12-2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Begle1
I tried the same logic against the IRS once... They said "render unto Caesar", I think...

haha, yeah, some people you can't decide what you want to give I guess..

Quick Reply: Do you tip at a car wash...