Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Digital Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Cameras

OK...Wifey has been pestering me to get a digital camera, and I know I've needed one....She told me that I could save up and get what I want if she got pregnant...So now I GOTTA get a camera.....

What I WANT is a Digital SLR....I was leaning toward a Nikon, but the Rebel XT caught my attention....Anyone have an XT??? Would like some feedback on it...

My dad has one of those Kodak Easyshare zooms with the Zeiss optics...It's nice, and about half the price....But I get the feeling that I wouldnt be satisfied with the Kodak....

Anyone able to give me a comparison?? I've read all the specs and stuff, but I just wonder what a real user has to say about it....
Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 PM

I have the Canon digital Rebel and find it to be easy to use and takes excellent pictures. I got it mostly because I can re-use the lenses and flash I had on my EOS650. If you get one, be sure to get at least a 512 MB flash card. The only things I find are possible shortcomings are that it doesn't take movie clips and the USB downloading seems rather slow, at least compared to my Nikon Coolpix880. On the other hand, the highest quality JPEGs are larger than the Nikon so they should take longer to download. Some reviews rag about the plastic body but if you want the metal one, prepare to pay twice as much. If you get the Canon, you won't regret it, although I'm sure the Nikon is just as good. But like I said, I already had the lenses for the Canon. HTH

Oh yeah, congrats on being pregnant.
Jim
Old 01-31-2006, 01:39 PM

I have a Nikon D70s and love it , the best price I found is
http://www.cameta.com/
Old 01-31-2006, 02:45 PM

I've got the Digital Rebel XT (as do 3 of my techie friends, if it was good enough for them, it is good enough for me). I use a Compact Flash Ultra II card and the write time is very quick. The camera is very nice. A bit complicated to get used to, but nothing that can't be overcome (play with the menus to get familiar with them). Check out www.dpreview.com for excellent comparisons between cameras.

~Rob
Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had three Canon digital cameras (none of them SLRs) and they've all been outstanding.

The very first one I bought was back in 1997 or so. At $500, it was the only camera available at the time priced below $1000 that would take 640x480 photos. Still works fine.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:22 PM

Do you already have lenes for either camera? I have an Elan7E QD. Not a digital but that is the reason I'm looking towards the rebal or the D60 (I think). It is the next step up and has a few more features then the rebal but is also a few hundred more. For the investment (new lenes if you don't have some already, the camera it'self, cards) take your time and visit a few good camera shops that have a selection. Tell them your desires and needs and let them direct you some. If you end up with an individual that's pushing one direction only, come back another time and talk to someone else.

All cameras will have positives and negitives (no pun intended), but they should be able to help you through it.

Randy
Old 01-31-2006, 05:37 PM

I already have a Minolta Maxxum SLR film camera, but from what I've seen I'm not impressed with the Konica-Minolta digitals...Plus I never bought any extra lenses, etc for it, so as far as accessories go, it's not a problem...

The photography bug kinda runs in the family....My grandfather did it professionally after he retired from mining....My dad has had nothing but SLR until he got his Kodak...He still likes good old film better cause of the ways he can manipulate the shots...I've learned enough with this Minolta to do some pretty awesome photos...Plus learned alot from the family...That's why I'm leaning to SLR when I get a digital....

My hang-up is wants vs. needs vs. what will do the job....I dont need the best of the best, but I'm not gonna buy junk either
Old 01-31-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been scouting around a bit for a digital camera too. I've got a Nikon F601 SLR that never gets used. You might want to check out the Panasonic Lumix before you buy. I've read some good reviews on them.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
What you buy today is probably obsolete next week. There are many companies and individuals that review the various digital cameras and I would suggest you do a search in Google or others. Cnet.com is just one that comes to mind. From that you will get an idea of the pros and cons for each camera, price, where to buy etc.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Herrin821
I already have a Minolta Maxxum SLR film camera, but from what I've seen I'm not impressed with the Konica-Minolta digitals...Plus I never bought any extra lenses, etc for it, so as far as accessories go, it's not a problem...

The photography bug kinda runs in the family....My grandfather did it professionally after he retired from mining....My dad has had nothing but SLR until he got his Kodak...He still likes good old film better cause of the ways he can manipulate the shots...I've learned enough with this Minolta to do some pretty awesome photos...Plus learned alot from the family...That's why I'm leaning to SLR when I get a digital....

My hang-up is wants vs. needs vs. what will do the job....I dont need the best of the best, but I'm not gonna buy junk either
Probably the biggest thing that has kept me from buying one yet (and contimplating a cheaper one) is I already have an SLR that will take great pictures. It is limited by me. Not me limited by it. For the things that I(and my wife) will use the digital for most of the time will not require the high end camera.

That said, the reason I have not bought the cheaper one yet is I know once I got the digital SLR I could use several of the features to my advantage. One thing to think of is cost of film. It doesn't take long to save the extra purchase price when you have to pay for lab work.

Randy
Old 01-31-2006, 06:52 PM

i have an Olympus 10x zoom 5 mega pixal and love it. 4th olympus i have had. built my webpage with it and have a family photo albums stored on disk from it for each of my 4 childrens family and consider them priceless.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:54 PM
JKM

how much do some of these camera's go for price wise?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:05 PM

I got the kids one with the printer, 750 kodak, and now Wife wants the same one. Great camera, but we like the easy print, and what great photos. We have like 3 different cameras but I myself really like the the one my kids use!! I don't think u can go wrong with this unit. Would luv to send you a picture printed from the dock! Everyone say's it cost to much but if you buy in bulk it's like .25 a pik not bad because u can pick the ones u want.The rest go on DVD or CD
Old 01-31-2006, 07:10 PM

Herrin,
Here are some pics that I took with the Rebel XT, I had the camera set to full resolution (8.1 Megapixels) but reduced them to 25% of their original size to put them on my website:

I am a crappy photographer and don't know what all the settings mean, nor how to frame a pic, so these aren't "as good as it gets". I purchased a DVD from Wolf Camera that was specific to the Rebel XT as to how to use it, but haven't had time to watch it yet.

~Rob
Old 01-31-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
how much do some of these camera's go for price wise?
The XT goes for around $1000 at Best Buy...You can get the package deals on ebay, with lenses, cases and all the goodies starting around $1200

The Kodaks are around $500

"Obsolete" shuold be retired from the world lexicon....It's used too often to describe something that is perfectly fine, but not brand-spankin new...

8mm film is obsolete....
Flash cubes are obsolete
**** and tube wiring is obsolete

My 1.3ghz Celeron pc is NOT obsolete
A 4 megapixel camera is NOT obsolete
My 3 year-old cell phone is NOT obsolete

Anyway...I like the things you can do with an SLR, but I also like the zoom capabilities of the others....This camera will be used for anything and everything for several years..I dunno....Cant decide

hotd....Those are nice pix!!!

Quick Reply: Digital Cameras