Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dewalt ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dewalt ?

I'm looking for a 1/2 inch 2 speed Hammer drill. Any suggestions on what brand, sears, dewalt, bosch?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

I've had nothing but good luck with any of my dewalt tools.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've never owned anything else, never had one fail yet. I've got 2 12 volters, and an 18 volt set. They do nothing but work, and I use them every day.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 PM

I work at Tractor Supply Co and we sell a lot of Dewalt tools. I used to think people were just paying for the name, but over the years I've come to realize that Dewalt really does have a superior product that is worth the extra money.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

The Dewalt cordless 1/2" drills we had (past tense) at work had plastic gears that couldn't hold up.
Milwaukee has good stuff, I dont know if they have hammer drills, but most likely they have.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM

I've got 5 12volt dewalts, and 2 18v sets. I haven't had any problems, and the hammer drill works great.

Coop
Old 04-26-2006, 07:49 PM

I have been loyal to DeWalt for ever but it seems that many guys on the construction and tower climbing side of my business are switching to Rigid and swearing by them. They consider the DeWalt junk in comparison.

BTW DeWalt is going to release 36v tools this year.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Registered

IMO milwaukee is a very good drill
Old 04-26-2006, 08:21 PM

We have DeWalt and Milwaukee tools. Both are great. We do have exactly what you are talking about in the 110v, 2 Speed, Hammer in the Milwaukee. It is a beast.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 PM

we have a custum home and carpentry business and we have had to drill through 200 yr. old beams and sills and anyone who has done this knows how hard it is to do and how long it can take. we use DeWalt and Milwaukee and you cant stop either. we also have an old bosch (over ten yrs) and that still has good power and it isnt in that good of shape either.

i wouldnt recomend craftsmen unless your not going to do to much with it.
i dont know if your looking for bat. or elec. but we have a bat.(19.0V) and its only a year old and already had to buy a trigger for so in the mean time you have to buy another drill till they get it to you 'cause you have to order everything online.....we bought a DeWalt.......
Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 PM

I have a woodworking shop and have a mixture of Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Bosch. You can't go wrong with any of those 3. Delta and Panasonic are also highly rated.

Anymore,the Craftsman brand is 1 step above junk ... but you get what you pay for. They are cheaper and last accordingly. One other problem with Craftsman is a lot of their power tools are made by Ryobi and don't meet the same standards as industry norms. For example, their 4" belt sander uses a 3" shorter belt that anything else on the market ... guess where you have to buy belts! Their routers do not use the standard size guide bushes or router bases. By standard I mean you can take a Porter, Dewalt, Delta, or any other router beside Craftsman or Ryobi and use the same base plates and guide bushes.

15 years ago I wouldn't buy anything but Craftsman. But not anymore. Last year my tools were at a work site and I desperately needed a cordless drill so went to Sears and bought their 19V version. Used it on and off for a while and then dropped it from the top of a 6 foot ladder. Haven't been able to use it sense that time. Drop a DeWalt, my personal favorite, and it will still be working. Of course that is a $200 drill versus $60.

Mu .02.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:34 AM

my suggestion is Milwaukee or Rigid
Old 04-27-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 1/2" Craftsman 2 speed, cord model hammer drill. It works all right but it gets limited use. I lent it to a co-worker once that used it to drill 1/2" holes through some 30 yr old concrete without a pilot hole. He brings it back saying it was leaking grease out of the gearbox. The freakin' moron over-heated it but it didn't seem to harm it any.
If I had to rely on it to make a living, I wouldn't buy a Craftsman drill. My Dewalt and Makita drills just seem to be better made. My electrician and contractor buds both talked me into getting a 3/8" 9.6V Makita. Absolutely no regrets on that purchase. Makita has been making them forever and hasn't changed a thing on them.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metabo tools http://www.metabousa.com/ , might be overkill, but my dad has been using them for years in the high school weld shop and they hold up very well to those little chuckleheads.

We have both Metabo and a Dewalt hammer drill at home, the Dewalt hasn't been used alot yet, but the Metabo has been around for years, I remember him using it when I was a little kid and that was probably almost 20 years now.

But again there's nothing wrong with the Dewalt's or the Milwaukee hammer drills.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Dewalt

I loved my Dewalt drill. When the battery went south after a couple of years I tried to buy a replacement. None available. I called the company and they said that model was discontinued. Batteries Plus couldn't re-cell the old one. Needing one in a hurry, I picked up a Craftsman that I've had for a lot longer, and even got a replacement battery. I'm still aggravated by Dewalt over that.

Quick Reply: Dewalt ?