Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Deep Frying a Turkey

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deep Frying a Turkey

I was just wondering if anbody has ever done this to a turkey. I've talked to several that have done this and they all say its a real tasty way to cook a turkey. Any helpful hints/tips/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Tye
Old 11-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Oh, MAN!!!! Once you fry, you never go back!! I'll send you a rub recipe... Directions on the fryer box are good for cooking instructions.
How you doin, BS??? Have not talked to you for a while.
-madhat

Last edited by madhat; 11-17-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: cause I'm stupid and can't spell K-A-T
Old 11-17-2006, 03:31 PM

Dont put to much grease in the pot my cousin had a nice bonfire with his turkey cooker
Old 11-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Banned

Buckshot,

Do a search. Lightman fried one last year and was raving about how good it was. I may have to track him down next week and snag some of his turkey!

Try it and you will never go back to oven baked dry turkey again. I started doing this about five years ago and have never looked back. Best piece of advice is try and use pure peanut oil. It will cost a little more but makes all the difference. Also make sure to put the bird into your pot and then fill with water until it covers the bird. Take the bird out and then mark your pot at the level the water is. This way when you put the bird in hot oil you will not overflow and burn your house down. Last but not least never leave it unattended as it needs to be monitored at all times. This last step gives you a good reason to tip a few cold ones while watching and enjoying frying your bird. Happy eating!!!!

Travist

Its the ONLY way to cook turkey

Tip 1...stick the bird in the pot and fill with WATER...Just enough to cover the bird....Remove bird....Note depth of water.....This is as high as you want to fill the pot with oil....If you fill the pot and THEN insert the bird, it will boil over....IF you dont burn down the fryer, garage, deck, or doghouse you will at least have a small Exxon Valdez to clean up

Tip 2...Heat the oil to at least 375 before dropping the bird in....The oil will cool quite a bit after dropping the bird...You want to cook it with the oil at 350, so heat it up quite a bit before splashdown, then bring it back to 350 if you need to....Watch the heat!!! You can burn the turkey and the whole friggin pot can catch fire

Wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt....Dont panic when you put the bird in, cause its gonna act like a volcano when you first drop it in....Nice and slow!!!

Cook for 3 min per pound at 350....Try the injector marinade!! Its great....

Last tip...If you do fry a turkey, be prepared to do so every year....Nobody will want roasted turkey ever again!
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Oh, yeah... use peanut oil, turkey must be completly thawed. (or you'll spend Christmas in the ER burn unit...)
Old 11-17-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by madhat
How you doin, BS??? Have not talked to you for a while.
-madhat
Doin ok! Just plugg'n along. Lots of Doctor appt. stuff like that. I guess I'm just getting old. Thanks for ask'n!

How are you doin?
Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 PM

Everbody I've talked to has WARNED me about the oil, fire issues that may arise. And funny enough, everbody has a story.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:12 PM

Guys, I was just like you..... I fried a turkey for at least 5 years in a row, best turkey ever.

Then I discovered brining them. Now I will never go to the expense and trouble of frying them ever again.

You just put your bird in a heavy saline solution along with herbs and spices for 24 hours and then bake as usual...... HOTDANG but it makes a tasty turkey.

Go to Alton Browns website and search for brined turkey if you are interested.

Happy thanksgiving everyone.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 PM

I set my yard on fire with my first bird. Man is it good though. I have a Cajun recipe and one that I came up with. Both are to be injected and then you rub it on the skin too. I've probably done 30-40 turkeys since my first one and not one fire since.....

Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:22 PM

anybody interested in smoked turkey???
Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 01sbc
anybody interested in smoked turkey???
Lay it on us!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM

Last year I smoked one for a couple hours and then fried it. That was great too. You just have to be careful when smoking it so that you don't dry it out. My father in law did one last year and it was just OK.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:38 PM

Just inject and rub seasoning on the bird and let it sit for a day. Put it in the smoker and smoke the heck out of it.
I hate to say it but my absolute all time favorite tasting bird was a smoked one my Mother in Law bought from WallyWorld. All we had to do was heat it up. Man it tasted just like ham! They did that bird right!!! It ran about $30.00-$40.00 though!!!

Quick Reply: Deep Frying a Turkey