Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Death comes but once

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Death comes but once

Ok, just a general question here:

Lets propose you went to your doctor, and he ran some tests, and told you that you had, maybe 6 months to a year to live, from some disease process. He also told you that there was no cure, and palliative care is all that would be in your future.

How would you address the rest of your life ?

What would you do to make the most of it ?

What impact, if any, would you make on the world, your families, your friends?

We all have known someone who was provided a sentencing as such, I'm sure. Just wondering how you would go about living out your last days..

TIA
Old 02-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I hope it would be like this.....
I know there'd be a lot less work and a lot more Harley riding in what's left of my future.
Maybe I'd finally get around to taking that cross county trip I'd been planning for 30 years.

The following users liked this post:
NJTman (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Wine, women, and song!!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I hope it would be like this.....
I know there'd be a lot less work and a lot more Harley riding in what's left of my future.
Maybe I'd finally get around to taking that cross county trip I'd been planning for 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9TShlMkQnc
Never heard that song, or relized how well that fella sings.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It would be time to break out that long list of folks that did me wrong over the years and see to it they go first!

OK just kidding of course

The obvious thing to do is spend as much time with Family and those you love, make sure they have lots of terrific and fond memories of you. And go ahead and eat that triple scoop sundae you been craving all month!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
It would be time to break out that long list of folks that did me wrong over the years and see to it they go first!

OK just kidding of course

!
Lol. Great minds think alike...

Just kidding
Old 02-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have pondered that a few times.
not sure it would change a whole lot from how I live today.
Awhile back I looked at what I call my bucket list. I’ve hit or done a lot of it already.
lampshades
🤪
NJTman (03-10-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Would wrap up the loose ends, spend time with family and if able hopefully knock off a few more bucket list items. Perhaps give real thought to anything I might need to make amends for though nothing comes to mind immediately that has been left undone in that regard. As far as impact on family friends and world I would admit at that point I would no longer really be concerned about the world as selfish as that may be. Family and friends would come to the conclusion that all must die at some point and cant be around forever. I would worry most about my disabled son and spend as much time with him as I could imparting what little knowledge I have about life to him. Everything I have, what little there is would go to my son and a few trinkets / items not appropriate for my son to other family members. I suspect i would spend a fair amount of time reflecting upon my life remembering the good people, the good times, the good experiences and try not to waste any time thinking about what coulda/shoulda happened much less the rough spots that befall all of us throughout our life at one time another. (Not that they don't contribute to the making of the person you are but why focus on unhappy moments at that point).
NJTman (03-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
They told my dear Uncle 6-12 months after his lung was removed...he lived for 13 more years....get a second opinion.
NJTman (03-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 07:36 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Old Joke Alert.

Doctor calls and man answers the phone...
Doc: "Your tests are back. The results say you have 24 hours to live."
Man: "Geeze, that's awful....... I've got a LOT of stuff to try to get accomplished in the next 24 hours."
Doc: "No worries, I tried to call you all day yesterday."
Old 03-08-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
The doc told Dear Old Dad he had a 20% chance of making it past two years because his prostate cancer was that aggressive...

That was in 2002, he'll turn 84 this may, and still gets out fishing and hunting every year....
The following 2 users liked this post by westcoaster:
NJTman (03-10-2018), torquefan (03-11-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Considering I've outlived the family members I cared about and almost all my friends, I'd opt for the Lary solution. That should keep me busy for quite a while.
My mom was diagnosed with a malignant lung tumor back in the early 60s. She lost 1 lung and part of the other. They didn't give her more than a couple years. She passed away in 97 at the age of 79.
NJTman (03-10-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:36 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Good question with some interesting answers. One thing missed so far is, to me, the most important question: you are about to meet your creator - - what is your relationship with Him? All the things mentioned so far are short reaching, have value, but have missed an eternal situation. Where will your soul go after death, or, putting it another way - - where will you spend eternity?

I say these things because it happened to me - - I was working in my yard one morning and suddenly I was on the ground with a huge elephant on my chest, sweating profusely and a horrible pain in one shoulder. I had no question about what was happening - - I was having a major heart attack. There was no one within shouting distance, I did not have a cell phone and I was a long distance from my house. I rolled over on my back, looked up into the beautiful blue Florida sky and the words that came out of my mouth were "God, are we changing our relationship today?" I had made my decision where I would spend eternity many years previously, so my position with God was not my question to Him - - my query was He had lived in, and with, me down here on earth - - was this my time to come live with Him as I had always anticipated and looked forward to? 20 minutes later I was on my way to Heaven - - and the trip was amazing. I had flat lined while in the rescue squad. I later learned they had quite a struggle reviving me which gave me quite some time for my amazing trip. When I awakened in the hospital and realized I was back on earth, I was torn between being happy and sad.

I say all this to pass on my thoughts on this question. If you have not considered the condition of your relationship with God, nothing is more important. Pardon my little sermon, but I would not be a friend to you if I did not relay my experience and how it affected my life. Even though I was definitely ready for the trip before it happened, my coming back changed my choices as to what I would do with the rest of my life. I have a completely different attitude toward how I spend my time and my choices in life. I just helped bury my wife's sister this week, and her passing was exactly what this post asked. It was so interesting to watch her reaction and the questions she asked my about my trip to heaven. She was getting exciting about what she knew was up for her in just a few short months. WHY??? Because she was ready to meet God. Now, I just learned this morning my nephew just died at 5pm last night. He was 59 years old. He also had made his peace with God and was looking forward to the trip in spite of the sorrow of leaving his family. He had made all his plans before the bad news of his cancer.

Very good question in this post - - one we all need to consider before we get bad news. It can happen with no warning and no opportunities for remedial work on our part. Been there, done that.

Bob
The following 2 users liked this post by FiverBob:
cougar (03-09-2018), Shovelhead (03-08-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 06:15 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Bob, that was an outstanding reply and spot on!

If I knew that I only had a maximum of 6 months left I would get really excited because it means that I would very soon be going home. My real and eternal home. Then I would make extra sure in my heart that there would be absolutely NOTHING to hinder my journey. That includes unforgiveness of anybody.

My wife and I already have an agreement that the entire immediate family know about and that is that if something serious happens to either of us physically that we will NOT be allowed to die in a hospital. The only requirement is that we are kept free of pain. Extending our lives artificially by machines or otherwise is not permitted. Why spend all that extra money on doctors, hospital stay etc just to keep us alive in misery for a few extra months? There is zero quality of life under those circumstances!

After I had taken care of my spiritual situation (which will not take long in my case), then I would consider doing something else like maybe taking a trip to visit some of my far flung family in other countries. In all probability, would not travel much, but instead would make sure that my wife is content in her new life after I go. She enjoys beaches, so for sure we would take some time to visit a few more of the excellent Mexican beaches. Definitely my wife would be my priority if I knew that my time here was drawing to a rapid close.

Would sell my truck and other of my "junk" before I die to take that bother off my wife's hands.

For those that are unsure of where your soul will be 2 seconds after your death, maybe it is time to do some serious thinking?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In 2005, and after extensive testing, I was told that I had terminal cancer and had maybe six months to a year to live, Dr. said he was sorry but that is the way it is.
My loving wife drove me home and called for the Lab results, then picked up a copy and made an appointment with Doctors at U.A.B. They worked me in the next day and the testing began.
Their conclusion was that the previous MD. at the Alabama Cancer Center in Montgomery, Al. had incorrectly read the Lab report, and that I definitely did not have Cancer, THANK YOU, JESUS, but I did have Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. With proper Medical Professionals, I am alive and still raising HELL, and living a Happy Normal life.
My Advice, Always get a second opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kerley:
NJTman (03-10-2018), torquefan (03-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Death comes but once