Death comes but once - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Death comes but once

Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #1

Death comes but once

Ok, just a general question here:

Lets propose you went to your doctor, and he ran some tests, and told you that you had, maybe 6 months to a year to live, from some disease process. He also told you that there was no cure, and palliative care is all that would be in your future.

How would you address the rest of your life ?

What would you do to make the most of it ?

What impact, if any, would you make on the world, your families, your friends?

We all have known someone who was provided a sentencing as such, I'm sure. Just wondering how you would go about living out your last days..

TIA
NJTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Administrator / Scooter Bum

I hope it would be like this.....
I know there'd be a lot less work and a lot more Harley riding in what's left of my future.
Maybe I'd finally get around to taking that cross county trip I'd been planning for 30 years.

Shovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shovelhead For This Useful Post:
NJTman (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
Banned

Wine, women, and song!!
deere country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
I hope it would be like this.....
I know there'd be a lot less work and a lot more Harley riding in what's left of my future.
Maybe I'd finally get around to taking that cross county trip I'd been planning for 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9TShlMkQnc
Never heard that song, or relized how well that fella sings.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Admin Team Leader

It would be time to break out that long list of folks that did me wrong over the years and see to it they go first!

OK just kidding of course

The obvious thing to do is spend as much time with Family and those you love, make sure they have lots of terrific and fond memories of you. And go ahead and eat that triple scoop sundae you been craving all month!
Lary Ellis (Top) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) View Post
It would be time to break out that long list of folks that did me wrong over the years and see to it they go first!

OK just kidding of course

!
Lol. Great minds think alike...

Just kidding
Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Top's Younger Twin

I have pondered that a few times.
not sure it would change a whole lot from how I live today.
Awhile back I looked at what I call my bucket list. Iíve hit or done a lot of it already.
lampshades
🤪
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #8

Would wrap up the loose ends, spend time with family and if able hopefully knock off a few more bucket list items. Perhaps give real thought to anything I might need to make amends for though nothing comes to mind immediately that has been left undone in that regard. As far as impact on family friends and world I would admit at that point I would no longer really be concerned about the world as selfish as that may be. Family and friends would come to the conclusion that all must die at some point and cant be around forever. I would worry most about my disabled son and spend as much time with him as I could imparting what little knowledge I have about life to him. Everything I have, what little there is would go to my son and a few trinkets / items not appropriate for my son to other family members. I suspect i would spend a fair amount of time reflecting upon my life remembering the good people, the good times, the good experiences and try not to waste any time thinking about what coulda/shoulda happened much less the rough spots that befall all of us throughout our life at one time another. (Not that they don't contribute to the making of the person you are but why focus on unhappy moments at that point).
BarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #9

They told my dear Uncle 6-12 months after his lung was removed...he lived for 13 more years....get a second opinion.
SIXSLUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Old Joke Alert.

Doctor calls and man answers the phone...
Doc: "Your tests are back. The results say you have 24 hours to live."
Man: "Geeze, that's awful....... I've got a LOT of stuff to try to get accomplished in the next 24 hours."
Doc: "No worries, I tried to call you all day yesterday."
Shovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote