Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

DC Gun ban lifted

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DC Gun ban lifted

I seen on the news that the gun ban in Washington DC was lifted and people are not happy, I would like to be able to carry but I can't leagally in WI.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the jist of it is that the gun ban was in violation of the constitution right? So, does this mean you can carry? Probably plain sight stuff. I would guess that this will have ramifications in other states with gun ban laws too. Here in New Mexico you can carry anything as long as it is in plain sight. You can have a loaded gun in your vehicle, as your vehicle is private property like in your home. If you get stopped by the law you do not have to tell them about your weapon as they have no legal right to enter your vehicle without a search warrant.

I am in favor of the right to carry, so this to me is good news. Places that have gun bans and carry permits play into the criminals abilities because the citizens are unprotected. We all know that the criminals will have guns regardless of the laws. If the laws change and the citizens start carrying/have protection and start using it, just maybe the crime business will be less favorable or start declining when the citizens start knocking them off. I have a police scanner in my office, that sucker is constantly going off, the local and county police are so busy it is incredable. There is no way they can keep up with it all, stuff gets prioritized, and it amazes me how long it takes for response time. That to me is a signal - crime is out of control - so I am in favor of the right to carry, and I carry.

I have a bumper sticker that says - Forget the Dog BEWARE of the dog's owner. It's not on my truck, it's at the entrance to my property on the gate.

CD
Old 03-10-2007, 11:23 PM

DC's ban was very restrictive. You could have a rifle but it had to be disassembled and locked away. You could not have a handgun, there was even a private security guard that had letters of commendation from presidents and visiting dignataries that was charged for being in possession of his duty weapon while off duty and testifying in court.

The following are statements of fact and not meant to be political in nature.

Of course the news would show that people were not happy about the ban being lifted as they believe in gun control but not news control. The citizens of DC have been victims for decades. DC is also the place where the Supreme Court ruled that you had no personal right to police protection, the police only have a responsiblity to protect the public in general.

As for crime taking a dip think back to when Florida allowed concealed carry, crime did take a dip because then criminals knew they were in danger. Same thing for the town of Kenesaw, GA where every homeowner is required to own a gun. In Kenesaw the murder, rape, and other violent crime rates took a nose dive as the criminals knew their victims would fight back. While in Morton Grove, IL they banned guns within the city limits and crime increased.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:33 AM

i saw a poll somewhere that shows 84% of the people approved the court decision.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This one would be better discussed on our sister site, all-politics.net.

NRA Patron member and PA CW permit holder here.