Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cutting thick steel

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make it track as wide as your ATV. I have a couple small trailers that go behind our quads, and if you are going through the woods with them it sure is nice. Just swing a little wide going around trees, cant tell you how many times I caught trees with the trailer as a kid lol.

If its solid steel, I second the notion of cutting with the welder. I dont do it often, but it would get the job done.

Tractor supply has some thin cutting wheels that would probably fit your grinder. I use them all the time works great on most stuff.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A torch would certainly do it, but I'd use my little hand-held bandsaw. Projects like this is why I bought that little tool in the first place. Real nice square cuts and no slag to deal with.

This would be a perfect candidate for spray transfer mig welding too!

chaikwa.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:40 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You could probly rent a carbon arc to go with your arc welder. they work really well. I have also seen some fancy welding rods and adapter that went on a 12 volt battery charger that worked similar to a carbon arc machine. it worked well enough to bore out som frozen lift cylinder pins on a CAT 5230 front shovel in no time flat. suposedly the setup could work off a vehicle battery as well. Very cool
Old 12-09-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a done deal! Thanks for all the help. Turns out the axle is solid steel. I cut it with the hand held high speed cut-off saw. Only used one and a half cutting wheels.

Welded it up using 7018, used about a lbs worth. Made bevels about 1 inch wide. Weld, pound off slag, grind, repeat. Turned out better than I expected. Did not use any gussets, after all it's solid steel, it ain't going no where. KD
Old 12-09-2006, 11:45 PM

I live up here in Canada and have made quite a few utility trailers over the years. The suggestion of slipping square stock and plug welding is as strong as you'll get, but------------- and I have done it both ways, round stock and square, inside insert on pipe & plug. I live in Canada and have to have any(new)built trailers inspected before they will register and license them. This trailer I built was a tandem trailer and to save $,on material I did a slip (over) and plug welded the back axle.
The inspector wouldn't pass it as it has to be a one piece axle according to regs. I came back home. Took two more pieces,did an inside insert (reverse from slip over & plug and made another axle, ground the (7018)welds close, spun it down in the lathe, heat treated it on my forge, finished the job and went back for reinspection a couple days later. The government wizard now passed it with flying colors, saying that's what I like to see, a one piece axle. PS. I had ample stock on hand but dearly wanted to beat this fellow at his own game because his know it all attitude got my dander up. :-)
Old 12-11-2006, 01:20 PM

I tell ya what sucks is cutting 3/4" steel with an air-powered cut-off wheel. Had to do that to make my pump gear puller.