Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cost of College

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of College

I've got a daughter who is a junior in high school this year and am wondering what it will cost me per year to send her to a local 4 year college. Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2005, 10:06 PM

I am in the same boat. My daughter is a junior and is looking too. One we looked at was $24,000/year!!! Fortunately she decided against that one.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cost, and some sincere advice for ur hard earned money

Originally Posted by Mr. Jimmy
I've got a daughter who is a junior in high school this year and am wondering what it will cost me per year to send her to a local 4 year college. Any ideas?

Well

I dont know much about many things, but here is my college experience...i dont know what region u are talkin about but here is what i spent every semester on average.. u might wanna hold on...

Books (new and used depends on professor, and demand) $700-$900 dollars
15 hours per semester 165 dollars an hour x 15 hours = $2475 dollars
Dorm if you chose to go that route, 350 a month or so for four months

So per semester, i spent $3175-3375 cause i didnt go with a dorm.

multiply that by 8 semesters for a total of four years.... PROVIDED the hours tuition does not go up, and she remains consistent

$25,400-27,000 for eight 15 hour semesters,

Please be aware that this is on an average full time load of 12 hours per semester from my experience, naturally more hours will equal more money spent, and it is not suggested by me to take anything over 15 hours, i have taken 9 hour to 18 hour semesters and anything above 15 becomes sheer H E double hockey stick.... if you can get used to 15 hour loads anything less will usually be a cakewalk..

Most degree plans are 125-150 hours long, so graduation in four years might become tougher to do and you might need to take more classes to get your 15 hour load or so forth. Depending on major, some classes count for 3 credit hours (which is also what they charge you) some 4 and some graduate courses can count up to 6 and more.... Basics are a must there is no way around them, plus they are good experience for getting your feet wet with the college scene.

NOw u can look online for cheaper books (SUGGESTED FROM THIS dum dum ) and to save more money, my advise to you is have her take just her basics her first semester, it will give her more time to decide what she wants to do, that is some serious money there. Once she finds her major, print up a degree audit, or a degree plan and FOLLOW it as best as you can, that way there is no bs or surpises. make sure she sticks with a specific catalog too, IE if she is going in 2006, stick with a 2006 university or college catalog. if you change, some of your classes might be useless, or not needed. I printed mine up and posted it on my wall, and for registering i made sure i took what was needed.. Also be aware that a bachelor of arts and a bachelor of science are two different degrees, please read and research carefully towards both of them, as towards what is required, what is not, and if she is a biology major, just find the one that suits her needs. That was the mistake that cost me just that 2800 dollars for not doing what should have been my homework, and research at the same time, DO NOT always rely on your advisors, they kinda stuck it to me as well, which is why i suggest if you do get one, stick with the same one for four years, and make sure that you all are on the same page, or wavelength to get exactly what you need or want done....

check in as towards what is needed. Also before taking classes, check prerequisites and ask around, also make sure she knows what to expect in her classes. It also helps to talk to professors for that curve that is needed, just at least show efforts of trying, if they see kissin up, they will know they intimidate you... it also helps to research ur professors by askin around, and if at all possible takin courses with ones that you are familiar with. Most of them do not change their ways between different classes and u can expect similar patterns.. It was always tough for me to start with a new professor, but i did my research and did my work to my best ability...

Result, december 17 2005 grad, biology major, chemistry minor, *** lade, from Texas A&M International University..

www.tamiu.edu

PS to aid you as well for financial aid

www.fafsa.gov

and a good scholarship locator

www.fastweb.com..

I sincerely hope this helps.. take it from a recent college grad.. Apply now for whatever you can for scholarships.. I wish you and your daughter the best...

Respectfully

TxDiesel007

Rick

PS on a local side note.. if you want a community college education, books will be about the same cost, but you can expect to pay about half of that for tuition alone...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned

If it is private be ready ot shell out some good dough, but they do have better education. I am at a private small college and I have actually been invited to a teachers house for supper. Try that at a state school.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:38 PM

I attended a community colllege about a year after I graduated. For me the atmosphere was not good. There were just too many people in all my classes. I am currently taking classes through University of Phoenix online. I enjoy it because I can still work full time and get my degree at the same time. It is expensive and I would not have been able to do it without financial aid and student loans. The good thing is I started in November 04 and I will finish the Associate program in April 06.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bosshawg600
If it is private be ready ot shell out some good dough, but they do have better education. I am at a private small college and I have actually been invited to a teachers house for supper. Try that at a state school.
I have been over to dinner at 3 of my 5 teacher's house, and had drinks at the bar with all 5 of them. And yes, i go to a "dreaded" state school. I just graduated colleg eabout 3 weeks ago, after being in 4.5 years, but because of my own stupidty. I started out a private small college, and couldn't stand all the preppy pretty boys that went there who drove dad's BMW and mom's acura SUV, and thought Keystone light was god's gift to earth. . After three weeks, i dropped out, and the next semester started a heavy equipment program at a New York state school (SUNY). In my opinion, state school was way better than private, as book work, homework, and massive assignments are not my thing. I'm in it to learn how to do something, not write long-a** papers about stuff no one cares about.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand....Costs.....The SUNY schools aren't that bad. My totals for going to school for 4 years was like $15g. I lived off campus, (who wants to live in a closet with some other kid???), did not have a meal plan or anything like that, and after the first year, realized that textbooks were a waste of money. I rarely needed one to complete any kind of assignment, and if i did, i would borrow it. I worked nights for two years in a stone quarry as a mechnaic to pay for my apt and whatever living expenses. It really wasn't too hard to get by, and it can be done sensibly and economically. Don't let people steer you away from state schools or even a community college. We have a 2 year CC in our area that ranks in the top 5 in the US. I may be a dumb drunk with two loud trucks, but i did finish college on the deans list with a 3.7GPA!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

My advice to you is to go with the most you can aford. I am not trying to be a snob about this but the reality of life is that those who graduate from the better schools get the better jobs and $$$.

My son graduated four years ago and my daughter is in her 3rd year, both taking bachelors degrees in biology. The tuition cost is not the last thing in the real costs. There if good financial asistance at all schools if your income level is not that high, I know because I am in that boat too. A bit of student loans, a part time job, can all help. Oh yea a lot of sacrifice too. But look who are you doing it for: you child! There are many ways to get scholarships from private sources too.

In our case that process was the following:

We looked at the kids grades and talked about what they wanted to do. (long range goals)

Looked up the schools where they had a good chance of being accepted.

Narroved down the choices based on location, applied.

Applied for financial aid, counted the beans based on the results and made the decisions.

Do not be scared off by what looks expensive it is not always, but a good future is priceless.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:23 AM

Here is how it works out here at Wright State...
For living on campus, its about $2000 per quarter.

May be wise to check into apartments and condos near the school. Often times ends up being more cost effective than a dorm...

-Trey

Undergraduate Fees - Main Campus
11-18 Hours
Instruction Fee $1,842
General Fee 446
Total Ohio Resident Fee $2,288

Nonresident Tuition 2,125
Total Nonresident Fee $4,413

Undergraduate Fees - Main Campus
1-10.5 Hours/Per Hour
Instruction & General Fee $209

Nonresident Tuition 195
Total Nonresident Fee $404
Old 12-30-2005, 05:39 PM

Good advice from TxDiesel, only I dont think 15 hours is max. I take 17 and am on the rodeo team full time. Which means we practice every day, so I can't study or do any assignments during the day. But I learned to stay up real late. And if you weren't in athletics or something, I think 17 hours could be a breeze.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:33 PM

There are TONS of scholarships each year where the money goes unused.
I would look (or have her look) into some. Do a search online, I'll be you come up with something.

~Rob
Old 12-30-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dslchk_cowgirl
I am currently taking classes through University of Phoenix online.
Yea right! Your mean the U of DTR!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't worry about the cost too much. The education is too important. Having said that the difference between a "cheap" school and an expensive one is neglagable in the job market unless you are talking Harvard, Yale or a prep for med school.

* Get as many grants & scholarships as you can.
* Go to a local college if you can to save the cost of dorms. (easier said than when she gets a taste of the freedom) Get an appartment and have her get a part time job to help out.
* Take out student loans for the rest. Most are interest free until she stops school.
* Congratulations dad, you have a college bound kid. That is the best choice she can make.

I've put two through college. $17K for one, $30 K for another, total. (different schools) same exact degree.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caleb c.
Good advice from TxDiesel, only I dont think 15 hours is max. I take 17 and am on the rodeo team full time. Which means we practice every day, so I can't study or do any assignments during the day. But I learned to stay up real late. And if you weren't in athletics or something, I think 17 hours could be a breeze.
Thanks Caleb!

i guess i should have included, ranchwork,my horses and id rope as well during that time, Im not trying to outdo you or anything, and I admire u for being able to handle it.. But what u say is true as well. U learn to stay up late, get up early and u get used to the routine.. Heck i still catch myself driving to school at the moment... I know, best of luck Caleb, PM me if you need anything or are down my way....

Rick
Old 12-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

the cost when you start can be drastically different than when you finish. Afte I started we began to see a trend, each year was a grand more than the year before. Somhow that changed, for the worse! It went to almost a grand per semester !!! no wonder I had to take it slow and finish on the extended experience plan, I got more job experience and then the experience of starting to pay for it before I finished. As soon as I dropped below 12 credits a semester the good old loans wanted payment. Best thing I ever did was pay that beast off early. I tend to type like heck due to some nerve damage honest, I is edjamacated propper wheres that smiley w/ teeth missing?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:27 PM

just save the money and tell them to get a job at mcdonalds or whatever cuz thats where many of them end up at after school anyway

Quick Reply: Cost of College