Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Dodge Diesel website?
DieselRam.Com
1.91%
Turbo Diesel Register
14.01%
Diesel Truck Resource
84.08%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Controversial Poll?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 12:06 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I agree with NJOVERKILL, I vote against a "Members Only" pay section... after all, that is why I am a member here and not @ TDR. IMO, being FORCED to pay will steer newbies away... like TDR did to me. Besides, since I am already a Member, as are all of you since you have signed up, this is already "Members Only". I think that the best way to raise money for the site is to sell stickers/shirts/hats/truck badges, etc. That way the site is getting free advertising, and we are able to express our loyalty for this online community."

O r raise money from donations.........like a few other websites i go to.....they arent diesel sites but they just ask for donations and i gave each of em 5-10 bucks.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:02 PM
CJ

I think this is a great site. I've learned a lot of very important info here. One reason I joined this site instead of the "other" site was becasue I am cheap and didn't want to pay for a membership when I could get every thing I was looking for free. CJ
Old 06-07-2004, 07:27 PM

What can I add...I've only been a member of DTR for a few months. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to CTD's. People who have responded to my questions have all been helpful. This site found me:
  • a 1st Gen donor truck
  • an exhaust vendor
  • a trans vendor
  • and a hotshot to haul my trucks when I was stuck

I've looked at TDR, but the whole idea of paying for content sight-unseen sticks in my craw and I won't do it.

I'm sure once I get the dually on the road, DTR will continue to help me.

Thanks to everybody and thanks to Jack for creating this board.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:31 AM

This is my favorite dodge site.

I've never heard or Dieselram.com before. I do go over to TDR once in a while to check out articles and occasional interesting threads. TDR seems to have more threads about conversions which can make interesting reading.

I like the price of this site, and the atmosphere here is generally pretty nice and the people are helpful.

The only things I'd change about this site are some frivolous things:

1. design the site to make it easier to surf when I have images shut off on my browser (when my internet is slow)
2. Ability to change user name (I used to have it set as GraemeDiesel, but at some point it went to just my name... i'd like to change it back to match what I use on other sites)
3.Make the smilies appear where the cursor is.
4.Freedom to get my own avatar (set the site up like others I have seen that automatically prevent you from selecting a picture which is over a certain file size, in order to keep speed up)
Old 06-09-2004, 11:18 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
I pretty much only spend time in the 1st gen forum, which limits my exposure, and biases my response.

Folks here are very friendly, and the site is very well moderated!!

I have found that the quality of information here is quite high. Higher, I think, than on TDR. DieselRam just doesn't seem to have the volume to make it interesting.

The classifieds area does not seem to be as strong, but it will grow with time and popularity of the site, I assume. I think location should be a required field in the add.

I would like to see a conversions forum.

I would also like a tech database that is indexed accross all the generations of trucks, with detailed specs and part numbers: Air filters, fuel filters, wear items, updgrades, etc. Like a list of aftermarket clutches, by size, type, capacity and manufacturer. Or a list of injector bodies and nozzles manufacturer's numbers. Or if you wanted to convert to a six speed transmission -- what are the part numbers for the flywheel housing, bell housing, etc., etc. Monty has a listing in the Tech FAQ's for us 1st genners, but I think everyone would benefit from a consolidated and indexed database of parts information, and there is a huge amount of information in our collective membership.

The smilies need to insert where the cursor is, not the end of the field .

I like the fact that the site is free. I even think that the quality of advertisers is pretty high, too. (As in, I might care that they exist.) Maybe I have just missed it, but an index of site sponsors would be useful (like an advertiser's links page) -- so I can find that cool vendor a couple months later.

Thank you Jack for bringing this together for us.

Alec
Old 06-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Muted User

I voted yesterday & didn't have any suggestions at the time but just came across a site with #'d replies & would like to see that implemented on this website as well. Would be especially useful on longer threads. Here's the link to a recent thread that just happens to be diesel related. Look to the right of the page for "Post #1", etc.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:22 AM

Ive been to all three, and although, I still haven't decided which truck Im getting (debating between CTD and PSD :gasp: ) I plan to stick around here for a long time, no matter which truck I end up with. I like the people and the atmosphere here, and I am glad that you don't make it mandatory to "join". Thats one thing I hate about TDR. You HAVE to join to post anything.
Scott
Old 08-17-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dieseljunkie
Ive been to all three, and although, I still haven't decided which truck Im getting (debating between CTD and PSD :gasp: ) I plan to stick around here for a long time, no matter which truck I end up with. I like the people and the atmosphere here, and I am glad that you don't make it mandatory to "join". Thats one thing I hate about TDR. You HAVE to join to post anything.
Scott
What I really like about this site, is that the people here will accept you any way if bought the PSD. We will kid you, and poke genuine fun, but would be interested in the experiences as well. I see people Post questions about GM Diesels they just acquired, and have gotten honest tips and opinions from current Cummins owners who had experience with the 6.2 or 6.5 engines. That kind of genuine response says volumes for the memberhip here. I visited the other sites, and several sites for Ford and GM, but DTR is the only one without downright ridicule to anything other than "the brand", whichever was the site focus.

I Love DTR, spending hours per week here. I have developed a genuine feeling of friendship for the people who have posted responses and tips to my questions. I enjoy the dedicated forum for the politics and personal threads. I feel pride knowing the concern we show for each other and our families when tragedy strikes (Haulin_in_Dixie's grandson Ryan is the strongest example, though I have read several equally responded to by the membership) or good things arise.

Even the majority of the political discussion is pretty civil. Thanks to Jack and the Moderators for setting and enforcing the rules, so all can enjoy. When a societal group finds the boundaries are set and enforced, then very little is needed to maintain the society. It tends to self regulate, requiring only periodic reminders.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-17-2004, 08:51 PM

I enjoy that a person can ask for opinions, and get an opinion, not flamed in front of the world for what an idiot you are. Folks are friendly, moderation is excellent. I would let my kids surf here if they could read. The other 2 get a little hostile at times seems like, to the point of having to pretty much ban certain topics (TDR's automatic transmission policy).
Old 08-21-2004, 04:08 PM

you guys have always answed my questions very well sometimes with a little sarcisam , but that i can take . i love just sitting in here and reading and figuring if any of it applies for me, the only thing i see you could do is more after market products analyzing, but thats just my thought.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:05 PM

I check all three, but honestly spend more time on TDR...and very little on dieselram.com.

Personally, I prefer the looser moderation on TDR...but I also don't have any kids looking over my shoulder. It takes an awful lot to offend me, and I find some of the "discussions" over there pretty entertaining. With a few exceptions, people are pretty good about avoiding personal attacks and anything really foul.

I think the quality of the tech info is about the same on TDR and DTR, and have never been flamed or told to use the search function on either site. Of course, I generally stay in the 1st Gen forum - things might be different with the other groups.

The classifieds at TDR are much better, IMHO. I also like the TSB and FAQ sections over there. The "part number" on TDR has been helpful, too. All of these could easily be incorporated at DTR.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:24 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you for your honesty. I was surprised to see your comment on the classifieds though. The one thing I think it much better about this site is that. It's fairly easy to put an ad on, notification is simple, it integrated into the user system etc. If anything, I find it much easier not having to register two or three times to perform certain functions. I also like our web format much better, but that's me.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
Thank you for your honesty. I was surprised to see your comment on the classifieds though. The one thing I think it much better about this site is that. It's fairly easy to put an ad on, notification is simple, it integrated into the user system etc. If anything, I find it much easier not having to register two or three times to perform certain functions. I also like our web format much better, but that's me.
Seems to me that you are a bit partial

I looked over the other sites and like this one here best. I didn't use the classifieds (shipping issue) but the rest is really OK since it was made to be readable under all OS's

AlpineRAM
Old 08-25-2004, 11:47 AM

Jack - My complaint with the classifieds here is how they're organized. On TDR they're by date, with the most recent being on top, which makes it much easier to look for any new ads that I might be interested in. If you could set the default view as "most recent" on the DTR classifieds it would make them better.

I've only posted a few items for sale on TDR and didn't find it difficult, and haven't listed anything here so I can't comment on that aspect.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
ahhhh ok, I get what you're saying. I'll check into that. Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated