Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Considering a new bike.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:46 PM
VPI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Considering a new bike.

Well I have made the decision that at 29 year old I no longer need to be jumping 60' jumps on the dirt bike . The problem lies in self control, if it is in front of me I feel that I must get over it! SOOOOO I am considering a street bike. My wife is mid supportive and I am still looking but I thought I would get some thoughts on it. The two bikes I have narrowed the search down to are the Honda VTX 1300 in Burnt Orange. The other is the Suzuki Volusia 800 limited. I can't afford a Harley and I want to purchase new.
I have always been scared of street bikes because of stupid people, but the dirt bike is just beating me up. I love being on two wheels but know that a crotch rocket would not be a good choice for me " I would be doing stupid things at 90 + mph on it. " So let me hear the good the bad and the ugley. I guess if I can be talked out of it I should not do it.

Thanks Tom
Old 05-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had both Hondas and Suzuki's and was happy with both.

If those are the final choices, I say go with the Honda if only for the bigger engine.

I've had Hondas in both 750cc and 1100cc, both got me around fine, but bigger is always better.
Just look at what we chose for our 4 wheel transportation.

I, like you, would have wanted a Harley, but couldn't afford one new, so settled for the Honda.

1998 Shadow 1100 A.C.E. Tourer purchased in May of 1998.

Hasn't let me down for the 5 years I've had it.

phox
Old 05-15-2004, 07:13 AM

Coming from a guy with shallow pockets, if you want a Harley... keep your eyes open, there are good deals out there if you are patient and don't mind taking a road trip to pick it up.

Bartell's HD in Tx used to put out a good used bike ad magazine. Maybe you could look it up on line. They saw an ad that I had in the local auto Trader for my old chopper and offered to advertise my bike for free. It was sold within the week to someone three states away.

Check it out ...
PISTOL
Old 05-15-2004, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're willing to be patient there are good deals to be found on Harleys. Barnett HD in El Paso and Chicago HD seems to be dealing. I have friends that bought from these dealers and saved a bunch of money.

MikeyB
Old 05-15-2004, 08:10 AM

Honda 1100's are bullet proof and the easiest to maintain, I rode a 1100 spirit for a few years and wished I had never sold it. As far as dangerous just keep it in a upright posisition and you will be alright Goodluck,,RIck
Old 05-15-2004, 09:20 AM

Being a Norton owner, most of the newer bikes don't really grab me BUT............the Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak, oooohhh, I like that one.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:26 AM

There are great deals on Harley's all the time. you just have to keep your eyes peeled. Also, Harley's tend to ahve a much better resale value. If I ever strayed from Harley, I would say I'd go with the Honda
Old 05-15-2004, 10:37 AM

I have a Harley and would never sell it, barring some kind of emergency.

But if I was looking I'd buy the VTX 1800.

I saw one yesterday with hard bags and it's a nice looking bike.

And, most important to all the folks here on this board, it has STUMP PULLING TOURQUE!

Awesome power and a great touring bike.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:52 PM

HD has some pretty good interest rates at times,6% or so. It seems all asian dealers want 14-16% interest. Big jap bikes arent cheap anymore either 14k plus around here. It really is what fits your riding style. I sold my last moto bike years ago and miss it bad. A buddy has a BMW tour/adventure bike and its good for fire roads, I cant keep up on my HD. Sides the belt and pulleys are spent from going up and my dirt road to my house. So now im lookin for a dual sport to use this summer in the mountains. Cant beat something you can go anywhere on legally.Just get what you want first, soon youll be beggin the wife for a few others.
Just remember one thing,not to sound to morbid, When riding street, look as it as if everyone wants to kill you, many people just dont pay attention who`s on the road. My other half just got a bike and finished her class and certification, now Im always afraid she will ride it work and get run down. Thank God we dont live in a big city with lots of traffic.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:09 PM
VPI

Hey thanks for all the replies. I have spent a fair amount of the day tooling around to to dealers and looking at bikes. I am still torn between the two. I have looked at Harley's and there is no way I can pay cash for one. Both bike I am looking at I can get for under $8500 out the door around here. The equivilant Harley is much more.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:16 PM

There is some killer deals to be had on 2003 Moto Guzzi`s here in cali. under 8K new,Even saw a Daytona for cheap. To me these are great, also old Ducatis, but thats just my twisted way. Check out cycle trader on the net for sales and deals. Have you tried any HD`s?. My buddy cant understand them or there appeal, I just tell him its like owning an old hot rod that you can always mess with. Me, I like em all.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:57 PM

Yep Apache you're right about riding defensively.

You gotta watch your butt out there.

I've dumped twice in my life and I DO NOT WANT TO HAPPEN AGAIN!

Ride safe and don't challenge any other vehicles on the road, it's a contest you're gaurenteed to lose!
Old 05-16-2004, 12:03 AM

Depending on your size ... you could pick up a new Sportster for under $8500. They are nice bikes and can be bomb'd to make them almost scary.

Of course, if you are like 6'3'' and 250 lbs .... you would look like a dork on a Sporty

PISTOL
Old 05-16-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by PistolWhipt
Depending on your size ... you could pick up a new Sportster for under $8500. They are nice bikes and can be bomb'd to make them almost scary.

Of course, if you are like 6'3'' and 250 lbs .... you would look like a dork on a Sporty

PISTOL
Sounds like a buddy of mine. Road a Sporty until his Ultra came in.

MikeyB
Old 05-16-2004, 11:08 PM

Before buying rent a Harley. They are more money but they hold their value. I have owned various imports, and liked them, but I love my Harley.

Many dealers rent. Its great to ride the bike your considering for a couple days without any expectation that you will purchase. Rode a Fatboy before deciding on the Road King.

Enjoy whatever you get
Greg

Quick Reply: Considering a new bike.