Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

coffee snobs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear you on Folgers . Best coffee I ever had was while in Jamaica – Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee… I’ve ordered it a couple of times from various places, it was good but it just wasn’t the same.

Think I’ll stay away from Kopi Luwak.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Blake - water just off boil in a press is the best way.. I prefer the nicaraguan, and my gf likes the Cost Rican. For Thanksgiving, we get Kuai Hawaiian and for Christmas, we get a bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain - spendy, but it's really really good...

Right now, I'm enjoyin some Brazilian Santos.. nice.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Some of the best coffee I can remember was at 10,000 ft on a crisp mountain morning. Pot off the camp fire, dump a bit of cold water in to settle the grounds, black. Mmmm, cowboy coffee.

At the office I drink a blend called Jet Fuel. Bold flavor.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by Redleg
Strong and dark, a little bitter. Reminds me.
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Sounds more like your preference for, uh... nevermind.
Other than the strong part, he basically just described you to a tee

I like my Dunkin' Donuts Coffee just fine..
Old 07-23-2010, 11:13 AM

I am an avid home coffee roaster. If you want the best of the best you have to make it yourself I feel. I get all my green beans from the company listed below. Their website is a gigantic boiling pot of information on coffee. If your as snobby as me when it comes to coffee, you'll know what I mean by a good cup of coffee. There is so much more flavor to coffee that gets lost in the first week. If your crazy enough to home roast like me, then you'll reap the rewards. One caution, it is not for the faint of heart and requires a lot of effort just to make a stupid cup of coffee to get you going in the morning!! Ha ha!! I love it and find it hard to even sip at anything else.

www.sweetmarias.com

Have a good one!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Coffee flavored steaks....

Now that is different.
Here, try this. You won't regret it.

Coffee Rub:
1/4 cup ancho chili powder
1/4 cup finely ground coffee (espresso)
2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons chili de arbol powder

2” thick rib eyes (boneless) work the best but I’ve done most popular cuts as well.

Rub one side of the steak with olive oil liberally. Next, shake/pour rub on the oiled side of the steak and let it sit while preparing the grill/oven. The rub will be about Ľ” thick on the steak. Don’t worry, some will cook off and it will not over power the meat at all. I use cast iron skillets for ease of use and retention of heat. I pour about Ľ” of oil (canola/vegetable) in the bottom of the skillet and place it on a hot gas grill. I let the oil heat up to where it will sizzle anything that touches it. Place the steaks rub side down and let it cook for ~3 minutes. The rub will infuse into the meat and sear on the outside. Turn the steak, carefully, and let it cook on the naked side for another ~2 minutes. Transfer the cast iron pan to a preheated 425 degree oven and cook for another ~8 minutes for medium rare. You can adjust the oven cooking time depending on the thickness of the cut of the meat. Once the steaks come out of the oven it’s important to get them out of the cast iron quickly as you don’t want them to keep cooking. I plate them on a room temperature plate and let them stand for about 5 minutes before cutting into them.

Enjoy.

Alternative cooking method:

Prepare the steaks the same way as above using the olive oil and rub but place them directly on the grill instead of in a pan with hot oil. Cook them the same amount of time on each side directly on the grilling surface. Once they are grilled, place them on a cookie sheet or similar and transfer them into the oven using the same exact cooking times and temps.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Just might have to give that a try...

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

"It's alllll in the grind, Sarn't."

What movie was that from?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Best coffee I've had has all been in Central and S. America. Didn't really matter whether San Salvador, Panama, Columbia, Honduras, Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Argentina, Columbia (most of the areas I've been to) the coffee was all close to the same flavor and just most excellent! I have never been able to duplicate the flavor regardless of what bean, grind or coffee maker.

Another coffee I grew to like is the Turkish coffee the service gave us in the Middle East. Ate it with a fork and it woukd wake you up in the morning!

I cannot stomach Folgers regular.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Other than the strong part, he basically just described you to a tee
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But I beat ya to the punch on this one so your comment doesn't count! And I was being NICE too, I didn't even bring your name into the conversation. See if THAT ever happens again!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I drink the cheap stuff on a daily basis but when we have company, I get the good beans out of the freezer and use the grinder and french press. I know, freezings supposed to dry them out but in an airtight container it seems to keep them fresh longer.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by patdaly
Sorry, to me Coffee is not measured in taste, it is measured in it's relative ability to deliver the goods.

Show me a cup that delivers the jitters, and I am happy.
a redbull and a hand full of mini thins will do the same thing.

Drinking coffee for a caffine rush is like drinking beer to get drunk.

Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
I really think the key to good coffee is a good coffee machine - one with a grinder. I have one and it almost doesn't matter what kind of coffee beans I use, so long as they are fresh and not ground already. That said, I usually do the 8 o'clock coffee brand. Keeps me up all day long!
Im leaning towards a grinder. Most of the time, I use the K-cups. they are sealed after grinding. I may try a small bag of dunkin donuts original ground coffee before I start looking at roasting and grinding my own. The local coffee shop can probably order a few types, but outside of that, its either order online or walmart.

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
You keyed in on an important part there. Proper preparation is a must.

I fresh grind my owns beans. And when It comes to the "machine" french press is the only way to go. Use water that is just off of the boil, 190 degrees to 205 degrees is perfect.
french press is a pain.
my Kuerig heats the water between 190 and 200 I think. I run it at 195.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Redleg
"It's alllll in the grind, Sarn't."

What movie was that from?
Blackhawk Down
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I know you said foldgers makes you barf, but I like their black silk blend.

Other than that, Barnie's 'Master Blaster' is some pretty good stuff.

I really have not been out of the country other than Japan to sample coffee.

Gramps makes camp coffee, it's too rough for me. I'll explain how he does it if anyone wants to know, but it's bad...
Old 07-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Mark I thought yall just ripped open the block of coffee with yall's teeth and chewed the grinds for maximum effectiveness....

At least thats what ever other Marine Ive ever known told me.

Sure I want to know Gramp's method. Down here the old folks brew what, in Cajun, is known as Demi tass. It means, roughly, up til midnight. Its black as pelosi's soul and thick enough to float a horseshoe.

Quick Reply: coffee snobs