Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Clutch cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch cable

I recently bought an old work car to keep the miles off my oil burner. Somehow using a diesel for a daily driver and not hauling anything just seems wasteful.

Anyway, any Mopar mechanics here that can tell me how to get the blasted clutch cable off the clutch pedal on a 1994 Plymouth Sundance? I can't seem to find anything on the internet and what manuals I can find are pretty useless. It SEEMS simple but my elderly joints don't like getting under the dash. I suspect this is why I gpt it for $800. I pulled the seat out to make room but I just can't seem to disconnect the cable from the pedal assembly. Anybody got any tips?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
This any help? I never changed one but the retainer clip looks like it just pulls out, easier said then done, right.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
94fw_6_002.pdf (63.6 KB, 88 views)
Old 10-31-2016, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
This any help? I never changed one but the retainer clip looks like it just pulls out, easier said then done, right.

I've often felt that engineers that design things like this don't really like people. The same with wiper blades. Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try again after work.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Might be similar to the brake pedal clip in these first gens. Slips right on, but you about have to destroy it to remove it unless you know some tricks and happen to be under sized and double jointed.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:34 PM

I'm thinking of wimping out and taking the clutch pedal assembly out and work on it out on the floor rather than under the dash. I've owned mostly Mopars since I started driving during the Nixon administration. Any more though, too many foreign companies sticking their noses in. I'm looking at a new, or fairly new used, car but it won't be a Chrysler product ever since they quit putting dipsticks in the automatic transmissions. I know of three tows as a result of this and one destroyed the transmission as the owners couldn't add transmission fluid out in the boondocks when a line sprang a leak.

Now, older stuff, I'd rather have a Mopar over anything else. I miss my old '54 Cornet with the 241 Hemi engine and "Betty" my '84 W150 with nearly 400,000 miles when she finally got to be too much trouble to keep going. (Rust problems.)
Old 11-02-2016, 08:15 PM

My new bushing set for the shifter came in. As I was putting the new ones in, I found out why it was so sloppy. No bushing left at all in the shifter mechanism. rather than keep the car up in the air indefinitely, I noticed the bracket for the clutch cable is bolted straight to the back of the transaxle assembly. A few washers as spacers and I can take some of the slack out of my clutch cable. It's not a permanent solution. It should last until I can find a car to take apart and see how that darned thing goes together. My van gets 11 mpg and my diesel gets 18. I should get 25-30 out of the Sundance. I figure to sell the truck down the road and buy a new vehicle. Don't know what yet. I haven't had a car payment in 20 or so years. If I get a screaming deal, I'll buy new. Otherwise I'll let someone else take the depreciation hit and get 2 or 3 year old car just off lease. the Sundance is my work car until then.