Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Class A test in Va

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class A test in Va

I'm going in for my class a road test next month. I' know I've got to study the pretrip stuff and I'm solid on backing, but I've spent most of my time driving in circles and not having to shift much. I can single clutch and no-clutch pretty easily, but have had no success trying to double clutch like the Va cdl manual suggests. I shift @ 1000 rpms on 12 speed eaton fullers so a double clutch would mean rpms at idle unless I kept on the throttle

I'd just hate to fail the test for not double clutching since I'm borrowing a tractor, trailer, and a coworker Anybody take their road test in Va recently?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:05 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey ph4tty not to steal your thunder but what are you taking your class A for? In the next couple months I will be taking mine here in Oregon and I am nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I work for a beer distrubitor here and I am taking mine as its a nice little raise if i got a cdl an plus also if a driver spot opens up
Old 11-08-2006, 06:15 AM

Shifting at a 1000 rpms sounds a little low. you may not be getting all of the use out of your gears shifting that low. If your borrowing a truck for the test try and get it before that and take it out on the road. You are going to have to be able to down shift to your stops. you are not allowed to free wheel ( clutch pushed in) and coast.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:51 AM

try shifting at 1300 to 1500 going down going up on my intertrashinal i shift at 2K and it works best but all trucks are difrent just keep at it and you will get it
Old 11-08-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by DodgeCowboy
Hey ph4tty not to steal your thunder but what are you taking your class A for? In the next couple months I will be taking mine here in Oregon and I am nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I work for a beer distrubitor here and I am taking mine as its a nice little raise if i got a cdl an plus also if a driver spot opens up
I've been going between working in a warehouse and moving trucks outside for a couple years now, but now they say that I have to get a cdl to work outside. This is for the US's #1 carpet maunfacturer which owns their own shipping division.
Originally Posted by volly818
Shifting at a 1000 rpms sounds a little low. you may not be getting all of the use out of your gears shifting that low. If your borrowing a truck for the test try and get it before that and take it out on the road. You are going to have to be able to down shift to your stops. you are not allowed to free wheel ( clutch pushed in) and coast.
I thought it was low too but it works so well I kind of want to stick with it. Thanks for the heads up- I'll go practice some downshifting too. Kind of hard practicing this stuff in a little truck yard full of 30 tractors and 60 trailers =\
Originally Posted by duffer26
try shifting at 1300 to 1500 going down going up on my intertrashinal i shift at 2K and it works best but all trucks are difrent just keep at it and you will get it
The fun part is I don't know if I'll be driving a volvo, freightliner, or mack. I'll keep at it.