Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Christians?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife and I are non denominational
Old 07-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I too believe That Jesus Christ died for my sin.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How Are We Saved??

I've been considering whether I should bring this up or not because I'm not sure where it will lead this discussion to, but I'm going to do it anyway simply because I think I should.

This is in regards to HOW a person is saved. To keep from being confrontational, I'll just tell you what I believe and why and then you can decide for yourself whether it's right or wrong. Either way, I'll feel like I've done my part to share the Gospel of Christ and my conscience will be cleared.

I believe the Bible teaches that there four necessary "elements" to salvation.

First, we must BELIEVE that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Hebrews 11:6 says, "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Acts 16:31 says, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

Second, we must REPENT of our sins. Luke 13:3 says, "I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish." Acts 17:30 says, "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent..."

Third, we must CONFESS Christ before men. Matthew 10:32-33 says, "Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." Romans 10:9-10 says, "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation." A good example of the kind of confession we should make is found in Acts 8:35-38, where the the enuch confesses to Phillip, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

The last element, one which most people teach is not necessary for salvation, is that we must be BAPTIZED for the forgiveness of our sins. Most people teach that you are saved before you are baptized. The Bible teaches that you are baptized into the church where salvation resides. Note the following:

- 1 Corinthians 12:13 says, "For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit."
- Romans 6:3 says, "Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?"
- Galatians 3:27 says, "For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ."

Could you walk into a house if you were already in the house? Could you be baptized into the Lord's church if you were already in it?? Of course not.

Notice the following: 1) Salvation is obtained as a member of the church; 2) We must be baptized into the church; 3) Therefore, baptism comes BEFORE salvation.

Notice the prepositions "INTO" and "UNTO". We BELIEVE "unto" salvation (Romans 10:9, 10). We REPENT "unto" salvation (Acts 11:18). We CONFESS "unto" salvation (Romans 10:9, 10). We are BAPTIZED "into" Christ or salvation (Galatians 3:27, 1 Corinthians 12:13, Colossians 1:18).

Each "element" does something different. Faith changes our AFFECTIONS. Repentance changes our LIFE. Baptism changes our STATE or RELATIONSHIP (from the world to Christ). We cannot omit any of these "elements" for salvation...including baptism by immersion in water for the forgiveness of our sins.

Look at Mark 16:15-16 where it says, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creationn. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned." According to Jesus, FAITH + BAPTISM = SALVATION. That is His formula for forgiveness. Yet, men will try to teach you that FAITH = SALVATION + BAPTISM. Does this doctrine agree with Jesus' charge? Something is wrong. If you have to pick between what man says and what God says, who do you believe??

In Acts 22:16 Ananias said to Paul, "Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name." Did Ananias place the washing away of sins BEFORE baptism or AFTER baptism?? Could Paul have wash away his sins in baptism (as this passage teaches) if his sins had already been forgiven before immersion??

1 Peter 3:21 says, "Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ...". Christ says "baptism now saves you". Man says "baptism does NOT save you". Who do you believe?

Mexstan can tell you that I can discuss this for weeks and weeks with anyone willing to talk about it, but I think I've said enough for now. Besides, my fingers are getting tired and it's about lunch time.

So...what are your thoughts? I believe the Bible teaches that a person must believe, repent, confess and be baptized before they are truly saved. What do YOU believe??

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts. Hopefully, if nothing else, it will compel you to study this subject deeper for yourself to see what the Bible says about our salvation.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Thumbs up

Saved by grace
Old 07-20-2005, 12:04 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Austin'sDodge
Saved by grace. Ephesians 2:8-9
Welcome to the site Brother
Old 07-20-2005, 01:11 PM

Hey Hoss,

I think your right on with the four requirements that you have listed. On Baptism, I believe that it does not necessarily mean Baptised by being dipped in water, but more baptised in the blood of the lamb, which you receive when you pray the sinner's prayer and it comes from your heart, and is full of faith.

Water baptism is an outward expression that you have accepted God into your heart. So it is more of a public display to people instead of the actual salvation. The salvation baptism comes from a convicted heart that seeks God and finds him.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:27 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Originally posted by HappyGA
Hey Hoss,

I think your right on with the four requirements that you have listed. On Baptism, I believe that it does not necessarily mean Baptised by being dipped in water, but more baptised in the blood of the lamb, which you receive when you pray the sinner's prayer and it comes from your heart, and is full of faith.

Water baptism is an outward expression that you have accepted God into your heart. So it is more of a public display to people instead of the actual salvation. The salvation baptism comes from a convicted heart that seeks God and finds him.
You got it buddy Spritual Baptism!!
Being dunked or sprinkled is a public show of faith but not required for Salvation

Wanna do doughnuts in the parking lot later?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:39 PM

oh oh I'm a liberal and a Christian and have raised my family to be the same,
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

How do you deal with the Pro Life / Pro Death issue?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by herb
oh oh I'm a liberal and a Christian and have raised my family to be the same,
Hey, atleast your half a decent person!

As for baptising, I have been a christian my whole life, but was finally baptised a little over a year ago, because it was a requirement for my new church. It turned out to have a large impact on my faith and reinforced my relationship with God.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Christian Cnservitive PRO-LIFE ALL THE WAY!!!!!gop
Old 07-20-2005, 02:52 PM

The Pro Life and Pro Death issue is tough, very tough. The answers are in our instruction manual though. I know there are issues like the one that was in FL, and when someone is dieing tragically with imense pain. You have to get deep in the Bible and learn what is right.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Re: Christians?

Originally posted by ds1rider
First of all, I love everyone here, everyone has been such great help with me and my truck, but I was just wandering who my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are. Not trying to argue, just curious. Thanks, George
*stands up and smiles*
Old 07-20-2005, 03:14 PM

Re: Re: Christians?

Originally posted by mataman
*stands up and smiles*
Yessir. And a strong welcome to DTR. Where you from? I'm in Tally.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by ds1rider
Hey, atleast your half a decent person!

are you implying that because i am Christian i am only 1/2 decent

As for baptising, I have been a christian my whole life, but was finally baptised a little over a year ago, because it was a requirement for my new church. It turned out to have a large impact on my faith and reinforced my relationship with God.

Quick Reply: Christians?