Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cattle Vacination

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cattle Vacination

Question for anyone out there managing or working with a cattle operation.<br>What kind of vaccination program do you have as far as calves and cows?<br><br>I am currently leasing a house and 5 acres that is part of a 2000 acre ranch in central Texas. At this time the ranch is going through a split up because of death in the family, and the trustee of the estate has been talking to me about managing a part of the cattle operation. I am not sure what their practices are right now because I haven't gotten all the details. The trustee has asked me for some up front figures on what it would cost to feed and maintain a herd of about 90 cows. I have some pretty good figures for hay and feed, but have not dealt with the vaccination part as much. He also wants to know how much my costs would be as far as labor. <br><br>Bascially, I was just curious as to how and when other people vaccinate. Also, what is a good round figure for your yearly vaccination costs per cow/calf? I have talked to several ranchers I know, and as with most things, everybody has a different opinion to some degree. I value them all, and try to learn a little from each. <br><br>Any input is appreciated!<br><br>Thanks...Bob<br><br>
Old 11-20-2002, 10:01 AM

Re:Cattle Vacination

I can't remember the price but I think we do it every other year on maybe every two years. depends n how many cows we buy and sell.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:15 AM

What about your calves each year? Do you give them vaccinations 30-60 days after birth, or maybe before weaning? I've talked to some that do, and some don't vaccinate the calves at all. I guess they figure it's a waste of money to vaccinate if they plan to sell shortly after weaning.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:28 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Up here in the frozen north, the calves get an 8-way about 1 month after they're born. Cost is about a buck each. At weaning, the calves get a booster of 8-way. Again, cost is a buck each. If any of the heifer calves are going to be held back and returned to the herd, we give them another booster of 8-way before they get stuck out with the bull.<br><br>In the fall, every animal gets Ivomec'ed. Average cost for cows is 10 bucks, calves about 5 bucks.<br><br>And thats about it. I may start with a scours shot on the bred cows in January, but we don't have many scours problems around here.<br><br>Your best bet is to talk to the local vet. If anyone knows what diseases are common in your neck of the woods, he will. Each area tends to have certain diseases which favor the environment.<br><br>Rod
Old 11-20-2002, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly, talk to your local vet, then talk to area producers (well managed ones!)<br><br>We use triangle nine at weaning (needs two shots) and a booster to all the cows. Stockers that aren't vaccinated around here get docked heavily. It's important for herd health as well.<br><br>While running those cattle through, great time to Ivomec, preg check, tag and cull right?? Good habits to get into for sure.<br><br>Good luck.!!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:58 AM

Thanks for all the info, and I will call about the Southwest Reference 2002 guide.<br><br>What are your practices on cutting bull calves? Some say cut early and use surgucal method. Others say use bands at early age. One study I read said to band at about 5 months because leaving them as bulls for first few months increases weight gain and muscle growth.<br><br>Thanks again....Bob
Old 11-21-2002, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We pinch 'em with the good ol' Burdizzo bloodless. Usually around 5 months. Do it myself, usually pinch, dehorn, Ivomec, tatoo etc. in one go.<br><br>We are in the seedstock business, like to leave the bulls that long to pick out the good ones for replacements and breeding bulls. The rest get castrated and sold as stockers.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:01 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=TXBobcat link=board=10;threadid=7308;start=0#70557 date=1037894310]<br>What are your practices on cutting bull calves?<br>[/quote]<br><br>We're growing beefers (not breeders) and use the band at 3 days old. As an experiment over the past couple years we left a few bull calves until 5 months and used one of the big banding tools on them. Weaning weights were up on the bull calves, however feedlot performance was down such that by the end of backgrounding, there were virtually no differences between the two groups.<br><br>Rod