Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Bostitch air nailer shoots 2 nails - fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 06:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bostitch air nailer shoots 2 nails - fix?

my Dad's already been shot in the face with this peice, nice crease across his cheeck.
using Bostitch brand NIB nails, oil it everytime.

it double shoots about every 3rd nail, fully drives the first, drives second 3/4 way in

model number n79ww, "industrial clipped head stick framing nailer"

it double shoot since he bought it, but his buddy told him "it needs to be broke in, it will quit"

they built a whole sunroom, and it still does it.

i borrowed, and tried 90psi, 110 psi, and 80 psi.
low psi just meant did not drive either nail in all way, double shot much worse on low psi

can i take it apart & adjust something?

there's a sticker that says
"trigger may be contact trip (black) or sequential tip (silver-gray)"

our trigger is black, what does that mean?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:53 PM
DPG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a lawsuit to me. That gun is UNSAFE! I would return it for repair or replacement.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Where did he get it? Some establishments (big stores, not just mom&pop) sell rebuilds and don't really advertize effectivley that they are not new. Take pictures. Take names. If I had to pull or manually drive every other nale, it would have gone back long ago, that's a lot of wasted time. I hope you haven't exceeded the warranty time.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Ian

Buy a hitatchi coil nailer. I've never had a problem with mine, or my old bosses (10 year old gun). Other than that, take it back if you can and get them to fix it.
Are the nails that you're using the clipped heads, or are they a full head? Using a full-headed nail in a clipped nail gun would do it, I think. Anyway, hope that helps.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:58 PM

Sounds to me like he's using the wrong nails. older and some newer Bostich, craftsman, and hitachi framers use 27 1/2 degree nail bands. Paslode and senco use different. It is labeled on the box. They will still fire but you'll usaully get a double shot then it will jam.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
They have a choice of 2 different triggers. On one, if you keep the trigger depressed, the gun will fire each time the tip touches the work surface. That is all that's happening. You fire the gun, it recoils and the tip bounces back onto the work surface, and fires it again because the trigger is still depressed. If you install the other trigger, it will require a separate trigger pull for each nail to fire. Install the other trigger and you will be happy. You won't be able to nail as fast, but no double shots.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:59 PM

torque fan "hit the nail on the head" my bostich i just pull the trigger and then hit the wall. no double tap that way. if you dont like that then you need the other trigger
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 AM

he's got "clipped head nails" i guess, with half-moon part of them missing, and they are wire brad down each side, and seem to be what the gun calls for on the labels.

maybe it is the trigger. you can seem to control it by firm grip on trigger.

but to me the purpose of an air nailer is to put nails in where it's hard to reach, so by design, it's hard to control the recoil and monkey-grip the trigger at the same time.

wgingg, are you saying to lay the back of the air gun down on the wood, and just let the recoil land the back of the gun, instead of the recoil bouncing on the tip?

i am putting shelves in a pre-existing attic, and it's TIGHT in there. had to cut some shelves, and re build them inside the attic, behind the water heater. trying to nail to 2x4's that have insulation already in them
Old 02-27-2005, 05:24 PM

Just try the other trigger. It will solve all your problems.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:51 PM

where would i get the other trigger?

that's the only power tool i've ever used that really had me scared.

new phrase "i shoulda bought ....a DeWalt"

it scared the POOH out of me today, was putting some shelves behind the water heater, the second nail shot as i pulled away, and it ALMOST hit the water line, then it was double shooting as I was on the bottom, near the electric cord for the water heater (240v) , and of course it popped one about an inch away from it.

had sweat pouring off me. i just retired it after that.
i'm not sure why he did not return it, or how long he has had it, at least a yearr, but it was only used for building his sunroom, so it's new
Old 02-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Banned

Use a hammer.................. solves the problem AND lawsuit

This gets me up to MEMBER status ......................
Old 02-28-2005, 05:39 AM

i can't drive a nail straight...does that take me outta member status?
my wife said "only time i ever heard my Dad cuss was driving nails, and I can see I need to leave now, or you are gonna lose your testimony and start cussing"

i've always used wood screws and drills.

the problem with the claw hammer is getting under the soft airducts, when it would send 2 and not drive the second, you are swinging the "claw" part of the claw hammer back into the air duct to get enough swing to pound the extra nail.

it created more work than it did.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:39 PM

When I bought my Bostitch framing nailer, it came with both triggers. The one that was installed was the contact trip. Like yours, it fires every time the tip contacts the work surface. It would recoil and shoot a second nail. If you don't have the other trigger, you should be able to get it where you bought the nailer.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:50 PM

Not to go off on a tangent but everytime I've disconnected the hose on any air nailer there was a good deal of air inside, why can't they just install an orifice so it wouldn't recharge fast enough to shoot 2 or 3 at once?! I've done this many, many times. I found the easiest way is to hold the trigger and push down when you're ready, then when it kicks back don't push it down again or you'll get some more nails. Recently on a Porter Cable framing nailer I had a nail come back and go through it's own magazine as well as jam the piston. The worst part was I've had my hand there before holding it, good thing not then!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Banned

I used to own a construction company and nothing beats the hitachi nr83a framing gun lightweight, dependable and you can rebuild it yourself.

Quick Reply: Bostitch air nailer shoots 2 nails - fix?