Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best way to kill weeds coming through my gravel driveway?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JyRo,
When school starts, you could ask the lady that parks in your easement to start parking in the driveway right over the weeds. Couple days of this and she should rip 'em out as she leaves.

~Rob
Old 06-20-2005, 07:38 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

It wll seal the gravel together is a kinda crappy cheap asphault. it will kill the weeds and keep new weeds from growing.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:50 PM

the ground up old asphalt ends up working out fairly nicely for a driveway,
it will pack very nicely over time! and gives the driveway a very nice dark color

Ive never seal coated gravel myself though.... always go the asphalt way and pfft concretes gotten to expensive for me now, just do it in the barns i build then reccomend asphalt

Iron ore waste product.... forget the word its called,

you can get the stuff in whatever size you want and the stuff is like 30 cents a ton, cheapest "good" foundation i can find. gah, i cant believe i forgot the name of the stuff....
Old 06-20-2005, 07:53 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

if you lay the ground asphault and give it a year or so to back, then seal coat it, most people will probably not be able to tell the difference.

For those that dont know, seal coat is the stuff that businesses use to make their parking lots really black. it also seals the cracks to prevent weeds and frost heaves.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd assume that you can buy what I buy. We use Clear-Out, which is a generic of Round-Up. We buy that at Rural King, which is like Tractor Supply, Buchheits, etc in bulk, but they do have it in 5 gallon cans. Other chemicals, such as atrazine, for corn, we purchase through our chemical supplier. Any weed killer will work, its just about how much money you want to spend....
Old 06-20-2005, 09:50 PM

Do you know anybody with a Powerstroke? I would imagine the engine oil would kill the weeds.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I can't be the only person that puts diesel in a pump-up sprayer to do the driveway and fences. Gasoline is kinda dangerous pressurized with air.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:36 AM
JKE

Salt.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Banned

TTHA33 - Does diesel fuel kill the weeds as quickly as round-up? Does it stop re-growth?

- JyRO
Old 06-21-2005, 10:04 AM

Jyro, diesel kills weeds very well. I just did not want to reccomend it due to the fact that the EPA might not like that on our site.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After taking a geology class this last semester in college, I would strongly advise not to use gas or diesel as a weed killer. As mentioned above, this can leech into the water table and end up in your neighbor's well. It doesn't seem like it could harm much, but a little goes a long way.

Spend the extra cash and use something approved for weed killing. You can buy a 2 1/2 gallon jug of Roundup concentrate for about $100 which should last a really long time.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:20 AM

Hey Jyro, if it's the old always creeping, close the windows at night Kudzu you had better get goats.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Banned

mcoleman - no kudzu, hehehe.

I Pass Gas - Thanks for the info, I've been wondering what to do about those snip neighbors too! Awesome, killing two birds with one stone! $200 for 2.5 gallons? Who are you kiddin! There's no way I'm spending $100 to get rid of weeds. I'd spend a day pullin' em first. Besides, one of the things that really gall me are things like, "a new study out says plastic is causing cancer." A month later, "a newer study out says plastic is not as bad as we thought." A month later, "an even newer study out says that the researchers on the last two studies were full of ****." A couple years from now they'll come out with a study that says round-up is reaching the core of the earth, and is creating easier access for magma (or whatever cr@p is at the core) to reach the earth and twenty years later will all be swimming in magma if we don't stop using round-up ... or some such lunacy. Cides, us hillbillies down here in Alabama are on public water, we done left them wells behind us ages ago. Actually I'm sure there are plenty of wells down here but my neighborhood is all public water now.

HappyGA - I hear your concerns, however just cause you brought it up, doesn't mean I would do it.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:32 PM

Get the concentrated eliminator from wally world for about $12. I mix it one ounce per gallon of water so the quart will make 16 gallons. If my ciphering is right, that would be $32 of gasoline at $2.00 gallon. Eliminator is way cheaper! You could even double the strength and save money
Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 PM

I mix that Eliminator double strength and spray thorn tree sprouts with it. Works everytime.

Quick Reply: Best way to kill weeds coming through my gravel driveway?