Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best GPS/Navigation systems for vehicles???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best GPS/Navigation systems for vehicles???

Hey guys, im thinking about asking for a GPS/Navigation system for my truck since im doing a lot more traveling around to different truck meets etc. Ive heard a lot about Tom-Tom, Magellan, Nextar and some others, but i want to hear from guys who actually use them, which ones do you run, and which do you prefer to have. Also, which ones are easy to use and do you prefer the voice cammands or not. Just some stuff to think about.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:28 PM

I went here to learn about them. http://www.dell.com/content/topics/t...=19&l=en&s=dhs
Now is a good time to buy. Amazon, bestbuy, circuit city,walmart sams club all have some good prices.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:41 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I have a Garmin street pilot 111. It works good and is easy to use. Another feature is that the software downloads on your PC. So you can find way points and make routes on the PC and download them on your Garmin. When you get one make sure that you can enter long and lat as a way point. Some wont do that. So that way if you want to go where there is no street address, such as a camping spot on a lake or river then you can do that. I have put long and lat into mine and it routed me to the way point on old logging roads that had no names. Sure makes it a lot easyer when out in the boonies and all the roads start looking the same. I have also used Google Earth looking for spots to go and transfer the long and lat over to the GPS software. Once you have one you will become very dependent on it, maps are for the horse and buggy days. I have come to places in the dark and found them, or no parking at the front so go into the back ally and right to the house.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 AM

I put in a Garmin 7200 just after I got my truck and I have to say I love it. In fact I dont think i've ever taken the map out since we installed the 7200. I will say that the 7200 is large (7" screen I believe) so installation is a challenge. When I get the truck back from the dealership today I'll post up some pics.

7200 does allow lat long inputs, does do turn by turn voice commands(these can be turned off if you like) and so far its been correct every time. 7200 also offers real time traffic updates, and weather. Auto route calculation and detour calculation. One feature I have found to be very useful, Truck routing verse car routing...If your pulling a trailer and want to stay out of tight spaces the 7200 will avoid small streets and backroads to keep you out of trouble. Also the lookup features for Food, shopping, fuel, parts stores, etc...works extremely well. The software that the 7200 comes with could be a bit more user friendly, but it works for updating the unit and adding points.

I will say don't follow these GPS units blindly, some common sense should be used. Only time I got in trouble with it was in Iowa down near Grand River after they'd had about 8" of rain. GPS took me down a road that turned into a "B" class road with a 90 degree right at the bottom of the hill. Didnt realize that the road turned B class till it was to late. Ended up putting the truck in the ditch because I'd dropped to much speed going round the 90 degree turn. Truck shifted left into the ditch and had to have a local get me out with a big John deer dually tractor. Other than that...it will deliver you right to the door every time.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:15 AM

I got up at 4:00AM this morning to go to Best Buy sale. Got a Garmin Nuvi 660 for $399.
I'll let you know how it works out. Looks pretty good, wife is learning how to use it.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:10 AM

Bought my daughter a nuvi 650 yesterday on a one day walmart.com special for under 300 bucks. I have a nuvi 350 and love it.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:32 AM

Here are a couple of good websites for a GPS
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/
http://www.gpsreview.net/