Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The August Masks Up virtual breakroom

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 06:12 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Weather sounds nice up there, Coug.

66* f today. Sunny, and no rain... Finally

Hope y'all doing well

Woof !

Old 08-17-2020, 10:02 AM

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
Packa pooches.
Frustrating. Excavator's a no show. So time to start lining up plan "B". This is going to take a lot longer delaying other thing I need to do before winter.
Speaking of winter, the fire weed is at the top and seeding out, and leaves on the cotton woods are starting to yellow. Being mid August, this is a little distressing.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:09 AM

Beautiful warm yesterday, but not hot. Continued on with my log pile. Every time I use that electric chain saw I get hand cramps after. Got a tree cutter lined up. Once he's done I can bring in the heavy equipment. Still haven't settled on what to get. I'm thinking excavator with a blade. Though weak in some aspects of this job, it is the most versatile. I hate dealing with insurance companies. They love taking your money, but when it comes to a claim they sure know how to run you around. Going to be a rainy day anyway, so I guess I can waste part of it on them.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:33 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Hi Guys and gals and whatever else is hanging around here. Been a long time since I officially checked in, but have been lurking in the background and waiting for something exciting to happen. Nothing exciting happening, but thought that I would be neighborly and at least stop by and say hi to y'all.

Still 100% retired and can't see me ever going back to work full time as jobs in my line of work have become scarce with more and more associates getting laid off or somehow made redundant. In any case, my age is now against me. The majority of people working in HR appear to be ignoring real work experience and go for youngsters with lots of papers behind them. Seen over and over again that real life work experience beats book knowledge, but most HR personnel don't seem to understand this. From my experience most of this kind of youngster cannot do a proper job, no matter how much "education" that have. In any case, don't need to go back to work as I am quite happy and keeping myself very busy and have everything that I need. Never have time to sit in front of a stupid TV.

Still enjoying life down here in central Mexico and cannot see myself ever living anywhere else. Been here now for almost 20 years and just love it. The weather and low cost of living makes this place hard to beat. Don't know anybody with C-19 in spite of the mainstream media every day yelling about how many people are getting sick. Have some land out in the middle of nowhere, 8,000' feet up in the mountains, near a small village of 611 people and nobody in the stuck in time village is sick. Have built a small cottage on this land and keep myself very busy working on making it nicely livable. It is totally off grid as there is no cell phone service, no internet, no electricity and no local sewage. Have build my own solar power and now have electricity 24/7. All the hot water comes from a very efficient and cheap solar water heater with no need for any backup. The water in this device boils every day around 10 or 11 a.m. even when there are lots of clouds.

Coug, hope that things turn around for you soon and you can go back to work.

Rock crawler, that really sucks about your nice truck. Hope things get resolved quickly and that you can either get your truck back and build it up again, or obtain something close to the equivalent.

Hope things turn around for the rest of you and that life can soon return to some semblance of 'normal', whatever 'normal' is you each of you. Yeah, I know, many DTR members ain't normal anyway.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 09:27 AM

I hear you Stan. and welcome home. The reason they do it is because they can get them cheaper. A prior employer did that to me. Laid me off saying my position was eliminated, then turned right around and hired an inexperienced kid for half the salary. They also say why should we invest in an old person when they are going to retire in a few years. So many places here have shut their door permanently and left the state. Nothing but minimum wage and no benefits jobs to be had. In my tiny community where everyone knows everyone there are supposed to be 4 C-19 cases. No one knows who they are. Same thing in the large city down the road.
Between pee and cat walk breaks, I put 8 hrs on the mini ex yesterday. Got most of what I had planned done. The tree cutter won't show until this afternoon so I won't be able to finish until he is done and I already have a trailer full of stumps. Typically while digging up stumps in an old river bed your going to find a !ROCK! The ex couldn't lift it so I rolled it over to the pit. Can't say I like this particular machine, a Bobcat, the controls aren't as intuitive or smooth as the Kabota I used was. Or as comfortable. I felt like that last sardine in the can stuffed into the cab.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:22 AM

48° and partly cloudy, possible high of 65°.
Hauled the stumps a few more loads of brush to the dump. The tree cutter didn't show until almost 4 and wasn't done until 8. I have to rent the equipment for another day now.
The guy I'm renting the equipment from is an Alaska State Trooper. We had an interesting conversation about current affairs. He believes like I do, this is all staged. Had the same conversation with the tree cutter. He also believes this is staged. As I continue to talk to people, I either get this is stage or it's all Trumps fault.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:43 AM

50° and rain off and on for the day. Hauled off another load before I had to turn the equipment back in. Front yard, driveway, and parking area are all torn up. Didn't have time to smooth it back out. I'll have to send the wife out with a rake.
More paperwork from the life insurance people. The usual delay tactic, different person wants different paperwork.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:35 AM

Went to Wally world Saturday, couldn't get in. They had only one door open and nowhere within 200 yards to park. They effectively barred the physically impaired from their store. I need an alternate to their 2 cycle oil I've been using in my trucks.
Our days have gotten short fast. Dark by 9 and doesn't get light until 7. With that, colder overnight temperatures, staying below 40°. The days will get even shorter by December. The rain has settled on us for a while, a wetter than normal August and a soggy start to September.