Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Aug. 8 History Channel

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS is great for high speeds, but solid axles are better for rock crawling and other high stress applications.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maxwellp
FORD

So in a FORD a 450 is a 1 Ton
A 350 is a 3/4 Ton
and a 250 is a 1/2 Ton
And a 150 is a

and I get to bash them I have one, don't drive it but I have it. can't give it away.

Didn't see the show and not positive about 2011 but wouldn't that make the Ford F350 the equivalent of the Chevy 1500HD and the F450 equal to the 2500HD?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
... wouldn't that make the Ford F350 the equivalent of the Chevy 1500HD and the F450 equal to the 2500HD?
No. It makes them equal to the Mahindra diesel mini-truck; long awaited, a big disappointment and not what everyone thought they'd be.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:53 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by clemson725
The american version is a joke. All 3 of those guys are jokes. Watch top gear BBC the REAL one. Those guys are entertaining and knowledgeable about their cars. In their defense however, Top Gear has never been about fair. They put cars in ridiculous scenerios just for the sake of doing it and name the winner as the "best" car. Always an opinionated show.

My favorite quote of the show was when Tanner said, "that chevy is an IFS. Independent suspension is great on the road but not that great off road"... I guess he should tell the rally racers, all atv/side by side manufactuers, and trophy truck racers that.
I think that was said after the first episode last year.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM

the F350 is still the one ton, Fords frames are the strongest of the three, the 450 uses heavier springs, I believe they use the same axle package though. I liked the drag race, while the 450 was smoking the tires off at the start the chevy had a 4 length lead but that disapeared by the end of the race, The Ford had the highest MPH, if we wait a little while the Ram will make it to the end,
What a wimpy way to show pulling power, pulling down a talephone poll, we do that at work when the chainsaw F%#$ up, we tie a rope to the top and 5 guys pull it over with relative eas.
They should have put each truck in the same situation for pulling power,that would have made the show a little more realistic.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by bobfbigman
the F350 is still the one ton, Fords frames are the strongest of the three, the 450 uses heavier springs, I believe they use the same axle package though. I liked the drag race, while the 450 was smoking the tires off at the start the chevy had a 4 length lead but that disapeared by the end of the race, The Ford had the highest MPH, if we wait a little while the Ram will make it to the end,
What a wimpy way to show pulling power, pulling down a talephone poll, we do that at work when the chainsaw F%#$ up, we tie a rope to the top and 5 guys pull it over with relative eas.
They should have put each truck in the same situation for pulling power,that would have made the show a little more realistic.
You know i've heard this from time to time. Where is the proof of the stronger frame? Stiffer springs don't make a stronger frame (not that you were saying that). I've never seen an FEA of any trucks frame or any stress, toughness, or yielding.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 AM
DTR Mom

we do abusive things to our work one ton dodge. it will still crawl almost 60 degrees up the ravine trails after dumping a two ton load of rock, then throw you back in the seats if you get on the pavement and hit the throttle a lil too quick. 155,000 miles. would I want to drag race it? no. stopping may be expensive...

yeah, the 'test' was no comparison or even showing off one's strengths. but it is entertaining and I think the guys are funny. BBC is the standard high quality, so american audiences would not be entertained....

i still want to wrangle cattle with a car.....(prior episode)