Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Attracting Fireflies with a Flashlight (and Cow Tipping)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus
OK. I grew up on the farm. I've tried this. Unless your cows are signifigantly smaller down there, it's not possible. I'm a big guy and I still can't do it. The power to weight ratio isn't there. Until I actually see it, I have to call BS to anyone that says they've actually gotten a cow over.

Now if you were to use a truck, that would be a different story. Probably end up damaging the truck and the cow.
It's like snipe hunting... Fun to get the city boys to do. Thus my assumption that Beagle had been talked into it.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
No but if you poke them in the left eye, they will fly in a right hand circle
Your telling me you've poked a firefly in the eye before?? I gota watch what I order from here

All in all, been cow tipping once. Was fun, but after a while of hitting something that weighs in around 1000 lbs or more, starts to hurt. Get a few good ones in then call it quits. It's the "one more" or "watch this" that has ER at the end of the sentance.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

lived around cows. prefer to shoot them with paint ball guns. tipping sounds like too much trouble, especially the getting out of the truck part.

I prefer to just slowly cruise the dirt roads with a bright light...
Old 06-28-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knew a crazy guy who knocked out a horse with his potato gun and it fell down. Does that count?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RTillery
I knew a crazy guy who knocked out a horse with his potato gun and it fell down. Does that count?
Knew a guy who killed a cow with his potato gun.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

more fun paint marking a deer with paintball gun, then after 24 hours letting the real hunt begin, 20 bux a man, the one who legally takes the animal, takes the pot. makes it a bit more tough, shooting one certain free range deer rather than any random one that walks by.......
Old 06-28-2006, 08:22 PM

Go watch 'Cars' and go try tractor tipping, much funner...

As for the fire flies, move to the Lake of the Ozarks, here the fire flies hunt you...
Old 06-28-2006, 09:16 PM
BCB

i have lived around cows my whole life and never been cow tipping.... and now thanks to DTR i gotta go try it now.. not tonight though.

i am about 6'3'' and about 210-215lbs and play on the line for the football team. if i get about a 10 yard run in before i hit it anyone think i can tip it?

something tells me this is gonna end with a dislocated sholder.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
All this courtousy of Beagle1.

Beagle1, can we expect test results of you trying to talk to fireflies? Did you become infatuated with them cause you find them in the pool strainers?

I think I need an asprin................. or a cyinide capsual.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned

I'm with a bunch of farm guys who grew up around here and none of them have ever actually tried to go cow tipping. And then we all watched Cars and got inspired, and now we got to do it. (Actually, we were all wondering if cows would really fart if you pushed them over, and then it was realized that nobody had ever pushed cows over to begin with, and so now we are going to film it...)

As for tractor tipping, we darn near flipped over a McCormick Farmall today tearing down some hog fence. That count?

The fireflies are what I really need to know about. Somebody (not me, I swear) made a bet that he could get fire flies to land on his hand with a flashlight, and I kind of want it to happen... So, what we're thinking know is smearing a bunch of sugar-saline-bug-attractant solution over the palm first.

What do fireflies eat? Think they'd be attracted to smashed grubs and sugar?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:13 AM

Ok now I know about cow tipping. That''s what I'd guessed. Back in college days part of the pledge training for the frat I joined was to go out at night to the local dairy farm and jump on a sleeping cow. It's hard to believe something that big and heavy can wake up that fast and take off at a dead run. What's even more surprising is how fast they can turn around.!! However fast it is is fast enough to leave you flying with nothing under you except thin air. Landing is equally hard only softened up by fresh cow pies. haha don't ask how I know. They also don't go mmmoooo either they bellow MMMOOOHHHAAAAA

How'd we ever survive youth and college.????
Old 06-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geico266
All this courtousy of Beagle1.

Beagle1, can we expect test results of you trying to talk to fireflies? Did you become infatuated with them cause you find them in the pool strainers?

I think I need an asprin................. or a cyinide capsual.

LOL, I think its bedtime.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Festus
OK. I grew up on the farm. I've tried this. Unless your cows are signifigantly smaller down there, it's not possible. I'm a big guy and I still can't do it. The power to weight ratio isn't there. Until I actually see it, I have to call BS to anyone that says they've actually gotten a cow over.

Now if you were to use a truck, that would be a different story. Probably end up damaging the truck and the cow.

You ever played football? You have to fire off the line. haha

Oh, by the way, it is real.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
I'm with a bunch of farm guys who grew up around here and none of them have ever actually tried to go cow tipping. And then we all watched Cars and got inspired, and now we got to do it. (Actually, we were all wondering if cows would really fart if you pushed them over, and then it was realized that nobody had ever pushed cows over to begin with, and so now we are going to film it...)

As for tractor tipping, we darn near flipped over a McCormick Farmall today tearing down some hog fence. That count?

The fireflies are what I really need to know about. Somebody (not me, I swear) made a bet that he could get fire flies to land on his hand with a flashlight, and I kind of want it to happen... So, what we're thinking know is smearing a bunch of sugar-saline-bug-attractant solution over the palm first.

What do fireflies eat? Think they'd be attracted to smashed grubs and sugar?
I think I'm gonna have a headacke.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by BCB
i am about 6'3'' and about 210-215lbs and play on the line for the football team. if i get about a 10 yard run in before i hit it anyone think i can tip it?
NOPE! im 6'1 250 and have never come close to knocking one down. i was a lineman too. i played center, so im used to lining up w/ a big sticky animal cows sleep so lightly, if u make any kind of noise they wake up instantly. honestly i dont think they're actually sleeping while standing. good luck, twiggy

Quick Reply: Attracting Fireflies with a Flashlight (and Cow Tipping)