Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone wrestling with depression...

Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone wrestling with depression...

This is a serious thread, involving a serious situation.

I've had some formal training with regard to tramatic life events, and handling them afterwards. Therefore I'm placing this article out for others in this community to review and consider how it may affect them and thier families. Perhaps it's not you who is depressed, but maybe a family member or close friend. Maybe there is a way they could talk with you and recieve help. Or maybe you may need to be the one to recieve help.

Please, do not do as this young man did in this article, now his widowed wife, dealing with (now) the death of her daughter and her husband, and trying to take care of an adopted little girl.

Please also try to for get this is a big-name athlete, it's what happened, and what did not ever get helped that are the real issues at stake.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...ide/index.html
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sadly, I've been in almost the same position as the person in the article. No, I didn't step in front of a train, (obviously!), but it's one heck of a feeling to want to do something like that.

Thankfully, the way I was brought up and the values instilled in me didn't allow me to commit the act, but I did try for quite a few years to achieve the same result by methods other than at my own hands. It's what got me involved in sky diving, rappelling and the fire service. After-all, if I didn't really do it myself, and it was just an accident, then it wouldn't be suicide. Right?

Yeah, I know... twisted way of thinking. But depression has a way of making you think backwards sometimes. And more people consider suicide than you could ever imagine.

There are a lot of subjects I tend to make some pretty sarcastic remarks about... this isn't one of them.

chaikwa.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM

I want to be informed so I listen to WBAP on my computer while working. I listen to Rush, Hannity and Levin. I can maybe make it through Beck's TV show.

Then I must honestly shut the news off as I am so depressed about what's happening in Washington.

Family is all employed & healthy. We are truly blessed, I'm just worried about the country and not knowing what to do other than tea parties and writing to Congress.

I pray alot.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 PM

SUFFERING from depression is an apt way to describe it. Sometimes I think
the biggest accomplishment in my life is that I have not hung myself. I would not do it to my family though. I have had kidney stones several times requiring lithotripsy, severe compound fx of lower leg requiring 5 surgeries to save my foot. Surgery on my wrist requiring external fixator to name a few. None are worse than depression. I am not ashamed to say I got help for it, and it gave me my life back. I implore anyone who feels they may be depressed to just take a quick test on internet and find out. THEN go make an appointment with a board certified physchiatrist if you need to. You could go to a G.P. - but I would recommend going to someone that does it for a living everyday. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. At some point in a person's life I have read that as high as ? 40 - 50 percent develop moderate to severe depression. NO, this is not something I would normally tell hundreds of people over the internet. 12V brought up the tragic self termination of the soccer player, and if it helps 1 person get the professional help they need, we need to encourage someone to seek help, because there is help available, good help.

Suicide: A PERMANENT SOLUTION TO A TEMPORARY PROBLEM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its all too familiar....I've been rowing on a dry river for a few years now, up and down every other week. Always feel like so much is asked out of me, but none appreciated. Can never figure out why girls are so psychotic...(I guess not all of them) Been down in the hole for quite some time. parents stress me out, can never make money without my equipment crapping out in some sort of fashion. The list goes on, it gets quite overwhelming...

Been on an antidepressant (Lexapro) for quite awhile now and it has help somewhat, but now all is left is my responsibility. Sometimes I do all i can to not take myself out. Gotta let things remind me of why I'm still alive. I've made it this far, I can go further.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:08 PM

Rip, we're just gonna have to ride it out till the bitter end. You never know what will happen. Sometimes you may find a "Stream in the desert" so to speak.
We all have Valleys to walk through. At times, it seems there is no end to the deep, dark valley. Then you begin to see some light up ahead, and keep trudging along. For me, then I realize I am standing on a Mountaintop - surveying the beauty of God's creation. I enjoy it then. But, I've been thru this enough to know there will be more dark valleys to journey thru. AND more mountaintops. Anyone who has not been thru the deep dark valley yet, just hasn't walked far enough . Just as sparks fly upward, Man is born to trouble. Faith makes a difference for me, and can for anyone.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 PM

This is one of the best threads that I have read on this site.
Thank you
Jay
Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rip 112
Its all too familiar.... Always feel like so much is asked out of me, but none appreciated.

without my equipment crapping out in some sort of fashion. it gets quite overwhelming...
way i feel, between, work, wife, church, and trying to sleep.
the Mega's HVAC is pure trash, the Wipers are going crazy, i dented the bed last month, and it got a door ding last week.

both bikes need work, the other car needs a clutch & SFC's installed, and a window motor put in.

i just rebuilt a car for my dad, now my wife had me buy a "drag car" for her.

i make a daily "to do" list at work, then go home and try to accomplish ONE thing each day. but, like you say, i spend more time working on my tools than working on the project. my air compressor must hate me

i hauled 50 bales of hay 40 miles one way to give it away yesterday. i bet i moved them bales 6 times in & out & around (made a "corn maze" in an enclosed trailer)

it amazes me how much is expected of me.

i think i must have been a superhero when i was MadHat's age.
now, i just feel tired & wore out.

took nap most day yesterday, that was what this veteran needed.

Originally Posted by nelrod
Rip, we're just gonna have to ride it out till the bitter end. You never know what will happen. Faith makes a difference for me, and can for anyone.
i pray alot. and i hope i get more right than i do wrong.
i get ALOT wrong. alot.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:02 PM

during my divorce...(wife cheated on me) i was in a bad way. i sat on the kitchen floor, tears on my face wondering which rifle to use. i sat for 10 minutes trying to think of 1 reason why not to do it. i finally looked up on the fridge door, and saw my 2 kids pics on it. that was my reason.my head became clear for the rest of that night. i went to doc, got some pills, and some therapy, and it made a world of difference. i was on meds for about 6 mths, and haven't needed them since. everone has that "reason" in them some where. remember, crap going on in our lives might win the battle, but can't win the war.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
way i feel, between, work, wife, church, and trying to sleep.
the Mega's HVAC is pure trash, the Wipers are going crazy, i dented the bed last month, and it got a door ding last week.

both bikes need work, the other car needs a clutch & SFC's installed, and a window motor put in.

i just rebuilt a car for my dad, now my wife had me buy a "drag car" for her.

i make a daily "to do" list at work, then go home and try to accomplish ONE thing each day. but, like you say, i spend more time working on my tools than working on the project. my air compressor must hate me

i hauled 50 bales of hay 40 miles one way to give it away yesterday. i bet i moved them bales 6 times in & out & around (made a "corn maze" in an enclosed trailer)

it amazes me how much is expected of me.

i think i must have been a superhero when i was MadHat's age.
now, i just feel tired & wore out.

took nap most day yesterday, that was what this veteran needed.

i pray alot. and i hope i get more right than i do wrong.
i get ALOT wrong. alot.
Just because there are not alot of thanks coming back to you, just ignore it brother. It is a generous and giving heart that God will and does see coming from you. It does not go unnoticed.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
Just because there are not alot of thanks coming back to you, just ignore it brother. It is a generous and giving heart that God will and does see coming from you. It does not go unnoticed.
good words.
thought about it after i posted.

my little neice called me last nite, thanked me for being a veteran.
i told her about my ~year deployment away from my girls when they were her age,

told her we 292 days underway in one year.

she was amazed, and appreciative. made me feel better.

they were a lot of lonely angry people in the service.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel that way right now. GF and I broke up on Tuesday and found out yesterday that my Great Uncle passed away on Tuesday as well. Then veterans day is a tear jerker for me thinking of all my brothers and sisters that are still in, fighting the fight and those who lost their lives and I am here on the homefront when I should still be in helping them by their side. This time of year is tough for me but thinking of my kids and them being so supportive helps a great deal. Also being around like minded people in the motorcycle club helps too.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Two cousins of mine suffered from depression and took their lives when I was a teenager. That's kind of a blessing as it doesn't seem to affect you so much at that age. My mother was schizophrenic starting when I was twelve. She was a loving soul but was tormented by demons most of her life. That was in the 60's when mental illness was something you didn't talk about. Therapy and new medications seem to be sparing people afflicted with mental illness some of the anguish their forebearers went through. I've oftentimes felt I was next,but religion and my wife have helped me through the valleys. I'm hoping a health plan can be enacted reforming the present system but without 118 new government bureaucracies sucking up the bucks. Hang in there everybody!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM

God has promised not to give you more than you can handle. You may think sometimes that's not true. There will ALWAYS be better times. Remember these things: There is always laughter after pain, and, there is always sunshine after rain, these things have always been the same.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 PM
DTR Mom

Wink

Everyone- goes through some doubts. we have sooo much stress now a days from work, money, relationships, feelings of being not good enough...

yes, thank you's are few and far. please do not get in the habit of volunteering just for the 'glory'. that's a tip that your inner self needs some bolstering. it puts you further in the hole too.

your local social worker is an excellent 'talk' partner, all completely confidential. some medications aren't right for some types of personalities. and yeah, it may take three changes before you start not to worry or think negative thoughts over and over. look for:

a clear mind, not one working like the stock market with multiple ideas or negatives flashing.

listen to yourself, are you criticizing everyone and everything? liek a machine gun verbally? that is frustration. soon to anger (arguing with a boss or loved one) warning sign.

feelings of self worth low? as some have already done- thinking about that gun? very selfish. leaving your problems to 14 other people. (data based)
there is always some one to talk to, it is NOT a problem but just needing advice.
it is a trust issue. know a coach, guidance counselor, dept of labor (yep, they listen to frustration issues too), bank loan officer for money worries,

do your part, even though you won't feel like it, smile, live for one event to the next (chore, task, job, making the air compressor work) and be proud of little accomplishments.

responsibility folks (35-60) get hit pretty hard, society and experience. lot of folks out there, you start by talking first. PM me even, I have been there.
I'll even bake you cookies.
Heidi

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone wrestling with depression...