Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone have a smoke ticket??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
On the bike, it's more than just a noise thing.
Probably the only reason you knew he was there was the loud exhaust.
Too many drivers run over too many motorcyclists because " They didn't see them".
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"honest officer, I really didn't see the motorcycle" ...yep I snort mine through the loud pipes when I ride...scooter muffler ticket is $5 here.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shovelhead
Too many drivers run over too many motorcyclists because " They didn't see them".
I am not disagreeing but i highly doubt that is why he had it. Did i mention when he passed me it was up a hill around 5 cars and he almost got hit by a semi. So in his case i dont think that being run over was a worry.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:45 PM

I was speaking from personal experience, gained from 20+ years of riding/surviving in the DC metro area.
I really have no clue what might have been going through that guy's mind at that moment.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Shovelhead
I used to be very sympathetic to that argument, but lately I am becoming desensitized. In town or back roads, maybe, but on the highway or freeway, I see way too many bikes all the way into it. With cars being made quieter (upperend models) or louder (cheap tin-can throw-aways) plus the extra speed, doppler effect, etc., I find it hard to hear any motorcycle unles I am NOT driving. People have no problems picking on my STOCK truck when I start it up and leave for work in the morning, but nobody complains about my neighbor's Harley when it rattles the windows late at night or early in the morning. Rant over for now.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by RustyJC
Rob,

Yeah, but I'll bet that State Trooper can get to "10-Mississippi" pretty darned quick if he wants to!

Rusty
Depends if he needs to put down the spit-cup to continue counting on the other hand....

Just kidding....
Old 07-01-2005, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by zulusafari
I used to be very sympathetic to that argument, but lately I am becoming desensitized. In town or back roads, maybe, but on the highway or freeway, I see way too many bikes all the way into it. With cars being made quieter (upperend models) or louder (cheap tin-can throw-aways) plus the extra speed, doppler effect, etc., I find it hard to hear any motorcycle unles I am NOT driving. People have no problems picking on my STOCK truck when I start it up and leave for work in the morning, but nobody complains about my neighbor's Harley when it rattles the windows late at night or early in the morning. Rant over for now.
The Geezer-Glide has an 80watt low beam headlight and 2 55watt yellow driving lights when under way, and had stock pipes on it for 4 years.
During that time, EVERY daily commute involved doging at least one driver who changed lanes, and when questioned, uttered the famous "I didn't see you" line.
I installed Vance & Hines turn-outs last fall.
The lane changing is now down to once a week or so. and I haven't heard "IDSY" since.

Might not work that way in Iowa, ....but it works that way in DC.

You make the call............
Old 07-01-2005, 07:30 AM
Administrator

OOPS, I didn't see you buried in that huge cloud of black smoke coming out of my stacks.
Sorry, had to say that.

I too believe it is only a matter of time before they crack down on emissions and they will come after the puffers (us) first since they can see what they (we) are emitting. What about the guy in the 20 year old ford that is leaving an oil slick everywhere he goes? The one that pulls into the gas station and says check the gas and fill it with oil. Will they get him? NO.

That is one reason I try not to do it (smokem) unless someone deserves it like the Vdub convertible that was driving under my trailer hitch one morning. He was so close all I could see was the black top on the roof. Dropped off the hammer for about five seconds and nailed it to the mat. Big cloud, no Vdub. He hasn't done it since.

As for the bikers, I give them plenty of room. Seen too many get hurt by stupid people that think then don't deserve to be there and I will usually slow down and let them go around instead of following me too.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
OOPS, I didn't see you buried in that huge cloud of black smoke coming out of my stacks.
Sorry, had to say that.

I too believe it is only a matter of time before they crack down on emissions and they will come after the puffers (us) first since they can see what they (we) are emitting. What about the guy in the 20 year old ford that is leaving an oil slick everywhere he goes? The one that pulls into the gas station and says check the gas and fill it with oil. Will they get him? NO.

That is one reason I try not to do it (smokem) unless someone deserves it like the Vdub convertible that was driving under my trailer hitch one morning. He was so close all I could see was the black top on the roof. Dropped off the hammer for about five seconds and nailed it to the mat. Big cloud, no Vdub. He hasn't done it since.

As for the bikers, I give them plenty of room. Seen too many get hurt by stupid people that think then don't deserve to be there and I will usually slow down and let them go around instead of following me too.

Thats usually when i lay down the hammer. I hate it when some rides right on my bumper. I personally think if someone didnt see a bike it because they werent looking. I feel that if you are paying good attention on lane changing ect you should have no problems seeing one.

Lane changes are big to me i wont even trust the mrirors i always just turn around in my seat. I just dont want to start easing over a smack into someone cause there trying to fly past me or something.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:48 AM

Someone called 1-800-CUT SMOG on me last year...I got a nice letter from the smog *****. I started to reply and then decided to round file it....haven't heard anything since.

If they wanna snap test me....have at it. It won't smoke with the valet switch on
Old 07-01-2005, 11:06 AM

My main question is with all the nuclear plants, and factories dumping tons of smoke right into the air you would think they would have there hands full. How do they find time to mess with us in our diesel trucks. Wouldn't ya think they would have better things to do.

I think the main point is that no matter what its always gonna be something. We could all make our trucks quite smoking and 100% legal in everyway and it will be something else. I am waiting till i see the news report

"Todays top story how diesel fumes CAN cause cancer" Well you wait i bet well see it.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by dezlsmkr
My main question is with all the nuclear plants, and factories dumping tons of smoke right into the air you would think they would have there hands full. How do they find time to mess with us in our diesel trucks. Wouldn't ya think they would have better things to do.

Those corporations have better lawyers than you do.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Administrator

When's the last time you saw a nuclear plant blowing smoke?
I want to see that.
Chemical plants maybe.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:11 PM

Maybe not officially "Smoke"...........

Three Mile Island

Old 07-01-2005, 03:39 PM

Yea i hear ya this is one of the very few i found. Now i know our trucks smoke but c'mon now
Name:  23_32.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  7.2 KB
This said something about the oil rigs burning natural oil. Now how much different is diesel i ask you.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a smoke ticket??