Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any Seadoo mechanics or experienced owners on here???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Seadoo mechanics or experienced owners on here???

Hey fellas,

I just got a 1997 Seadoo GTX 787 from my uncle. Ill give you the run down on how things went while trying to start. Ski sat for about 2 years with stabilizer in tank. Got the ski, found batt. to be bad, got new,charged it, tried to start, started after 3rd 30sec crank attempt, ran ok, smokey, then cut off, batt. too weak to restart. Tried starting again w/fresh batt., started and ran for 3-4min, hooked up water, messed w/reverse lever, randomly the ski shut off , a few crank cycles no re-start after killing batt. again.

Went ahead and removed old and put in new fuel, cleared all the fuel lines, put in 2 new ngk plugs, tried to start again, fuel took a while to come up, but has, NOW my prob is, ski fires right after i hit start button an then immediately shuts off because it looses spark. Try and re-start, nothing. Wait 20sec and it does the same fire up and cut right off with no spark. (verified spark/no spark with extra plug while cranking)

I have two dss keys but they dont change anything. Display will read low fuel (5gal in tank) and 12v low sometimes (even with fresh charged batt)
Fuel strainer is clean

Black junction box next to batt. shows clean tight non corroded connections.
Grey box up front (cpu box) shows the same, with the exception of two bolts holding the black board on, they are a lil rusty.

I understand that the carbs may need to be cleaned and things need lube and inspection, but right now im trying to fig out why the spark cuts off as soon as it fires up??? As it didnt do this earlier that day it ran for a lil bit???

All help is much appreciated
Thanks -Jake

Last edited by DZLPWR; 05-30-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to put name in
Old 05-30-2010, 08:37 AM

Does it make any beeps? Sea Doos give codes by beeping. I'm pretty sure there is a way to make sound codes but I forgot how. Do you have the owners manual? Also I would clean the carbs for sure. It is kind of a pain to get the air box off but after that it is not to hard. Also, inside both carbs is a small fuel filter. make sure that it is clean. Another thing, does it have the RAVE valves? I forgot if the 787 motor does. Anyways take the valves out and clean them if they are dirty. This is unrelated to the problem, but it is always a good thing to do. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the info, yeah i beeps twice when i hook up the dss. I dont have a manual yet, yeah im going to clean the carbs after i fig out this ignition prob, yes it has rave valves. Do you know how tho clean them? Is it just a simple disassemble and reassemble procedure?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:10 PM

this may help

http://www.seadoomanuals.net/
Old 05-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Sea doo says coil ohms should be .34-.62 and im getting .7-.8 Would it be safe to say that the coil needs to be replaced?? This issue seems to be related to heat/load on whatever is malfunctioning. The more i start it the shorter the run time 1-3 sec.. This am when i started it, it ran for 3-4min.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 PM

I don't know enough about ignition systems to tell you if the coils are bad or not. For the rave valves it is just the two cap screws on each to pull them out and then some carb or brake cleaner to clean them off. I used a wire brush on mine but then later found out your not supposed to do that.