Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any Hog Hunters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Hog Hunters?

Well, with all the threads with hobbies, occupations, favorite songs, guns, etc., I thought I would add one for the hog hunters. So lets hear about it. Any hog hunters out there? Woods hunting or strictly baying evens? If so, what kind of dogs you use?

I breed/train/hunt Catahoulas in the woods.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM

I've ben hog huntin a few times at my uncles ranch in TX. It just started with me scouting white tail and I picked up on their routine. So after a few nights I pciked out a big un and dropped him. No dogs, I just knew where they would be and when.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:16 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I go to visit buddies in south Fl we usually go. Strickly bay and catch. If we where to kill one it would only be to eat and it would be a bar. Usually just catch the boars and cut em.

pretty much just run catahoulas too.
We have some catahoolas here in Ga, but we only use em for cow work.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:40 PM

Just got back

from Mason on a pig hunt/sight in the rifle/your favorite beverage, 2 weekends ago. Out of our group, we only got one boar that was 122 lbs and he is in the freezer. I missed a shot at one Sunday morning - he was under the feeder about 150 yds and really moving around. I am sighted in at 300 yds for Colorado elk and I guess I went over the top of him because I got in a hurry. We only saw those 2 all weekend. Some years are better than others. It sure was a good weekend though.

John (DH)
Old 02-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Sometimes, (not often) when I'm pretty trashed and the bars about to close, I go hog hunting. HahahH! Thank goodness I have good friends who'll usually save me!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

They have hogs up in your neck of the woods?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:33 PM

Love hogs

they are fun to hunt from prone position with a 22-250. Hit em all in the head! i got three like that this season.. I have a buddy who is obsessed with huntin them as well, but he goes with knives, and dogs..

Rick
Old 02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
I have a buddy who is obsessed with huntin them as well, but he goes with knives, and dogs..

Rick
As a kid in East Texas I didn't know there were other ways to hunt them untill my mid teens. Running them with dogs is fun, but now I am wanting to drop one with a shotgun.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:53 AM
wap

Originally Posted by desertram800
Sometimes, (not often) when I'm pretty trashed and the bars about to close, I go hog hunting. HahahH! Thank goodness I have good friends who'll usually save me!
I know the feelin brotha, me and some buddys went to Birmingham Al one night (quite a drive) to visit some ladies. Lo and behold when be got there, they werent no ladies, they were definately hogs. So long story short, we went to waffle house and let the hogs fend for themselves.

very disapointing night but it made for a good story.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 AM

i hunt at my friend place, 8k acres full of hogs. it is in high bank texas are with the brazos river running through the center of it.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:00 AM

I have hunted them, trapped them or run them with dogs.

I have one of the best strike dogs that I have ever hunted with a little red bone. THen we keep some Cur dogs. I normally keep some catch dogs but right now I don't have any.

I'm more into trapping right now.
I'm not into the baying contests, just chase em in the woods.

Wes
Old 02-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've hunted with dogs, but trapped the most of them. Have not for a while. Lots of fun running through Florida woods in the middle of the night baying hogs. Ran up on some hogzillas, (or close at least) I've called the dogs off a few.
Good times...
Old 02-23-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by desertram800
Actually, the proper term for it is Hoggin'. As in, "Larry started off a-hoggin' at last call, and we let him go".
Old 02-23-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
Well, with all the threads with hobbies, occupations, favorite songs, guns, etc., I thought I would add one for the hog hunters. So lets hear about it. Any hog hunters out there? Woods hunting or strictly baying evens? If so, what kind of dogs you use?

I breed/train/hunt Catahoulas in the woods.

a few hogs here in south carolina...grew up hunting on horseback...bluetick hounds to trail and then bulldogs to catch them by ears, snout and tail so we could tie them up....cut out their nuts....throw some corn to them a couple weeks before butchering and bbq.

now a days I hunt them with my recurve and longbows with heavy ash arrows tipped with a handsharpened steel broadhead.....or one of my firearms like Marlin 1895 45-70 or a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in 45lc with hot loads.....

Matter of fact got a little 50lb pig ready for bbq when it gets a little nicer....mmmmm mmmmmm good.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Went once, about 2 hours South of Atlanta. Tonsilitus set in the day I got in Atlanta and everything went South from there, no pun intended. Never had the urge to do it again, guess being sick those 3 day's kinda ruined the experience.

Quick Reply: Any Hog Hunters?