Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

AMD or Intel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMD or Intel?

In the market for a new laptop.

Question of the day: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL64 or Intel Core 2 Duo T5300?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Tough call, On a laptop, I would probably go Intel. they seem to run cooler for the same clock speed. I havent used an AMD laptop however. Mine is an Intel.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess I proved how much I know about computers
Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Ok on my opinion since I work on computers for a living. I would go with a AMD Turion X2. I am a Computer Tech at a law firm office in Oklahoma City. there was a test done a while back that i saw online two processors one AMD and the other of course Intel what they did was they took the fans off and they turned them on in three seconds the Intel was toast in about a 1.5 min the AMD finally was cooked. That’s all i needed to see to make my decision on what Processor I want. Plus the Turion is real good for battery life.

Lee
Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM

what kind of battery life are you seeing on the turion? Im getting 3 to 4 hours depending on drive activity out of my dell Latitude D810 with an intel processor.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMD. My cousin and a guy I know, both are computer "nerds", say AMD runs better (for those of us who know the lingo, it uses shorter bit(?) strings), battery friendly, and very fast compared to Intel. But one thing you need to know, Windows was made to run on Intel, so when it looks at the processor speed for AMD, times it by 2. AMD takes the same string of commands that Intel does but cuts it in half. Hence Windows only "see" half of it, it is not smart enough to knw to times it by 2. That is the reason the AMD run cleaner and sometimes faster than Intel.

Clear as mud?

Jon

Ok, computer techies, re-teach my thinking. I am going by info that is like 1 year old. Could be new stuff now.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM

Ive got a slightly older T2500 2.0ghz core chip in my laptop and love it.

Desktop runs a E6300 1.8ghz clocked now at 2.9ghz and love it.

Both run very cool.

Taking the heatsink off a cpu is not really an everday occurance. They run so cool (around 40c) that they have a decent amount of time before they warm up, they will then speed step down to reduce clock cycles to save temperature before ultimately hitting around 80c and powering down. They dont fry anymore.

When it was Pentium 4 / D vs FX-xx series AMD was doing good.. but the Core series from Intel offers the utmost performance, battery life, and value.

Oh, and intel has less warranty issues !

-cheapshotatthecompanywhosstockhasbeenonadownwardsp iralvsintelwhosstockisstillclimbingduetosuperiorpr oduct!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM

"AMD runs better" is what people say when they have no facts.. kinda like the "feels like the truck has 500hp".

Some facts can be found at:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

That link compares desktop chips, and when you search for laptop chip comparisions it all adds up about the same.. intel chips all over the top.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 PM

I have been an AMD guy since the athlons first came out. But I am pretty happy with my core2duo notebook. I got my dad a turion and it has long battery life and works well for him, but I feel right now the core2 duo is the way to go.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by jbjarko
In the market for a new laptop.

Question of the day: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL64 or Intel Core 2 Duo T5300?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh
The Turion has a much better internal architecture and clock cycle for cycle is faster. Especially the X2. However don't think that if you get a single core Turion Laptop you can later upgrade the cpu to an X2. You can't, it's a different socket unlike the desktop versions in socket 939 and AM2 which has both single and dual core versions in both sockets. The AM2 replaces the 939 and supports better architecture in the 64 X2 desktop cpu's.

The Turion also has a much better memory mapper than the Intel chip which gets a lot of complaints as well. Lots of code optimization is necessary to support the Intel chip that isn't necessary on the AMD chips.

I can't speak about 64 bit support since I have yet to find any hardware set that's fully 64 bit supported in either 64 bit XP or Vista 64. The drivers just aren't there so for all intents and purposes Microsoft doesn't fully support 64 bit cpu's. A big reason for this is because they have such a labyrinthine process to get a driver certified and you can't use unsigned kernel mode drivers. So make sure your laptop comes with 64 bit Vista if you want 64 bit because you probably can't upgrade.

Also If it says Vista Capable it will only run Vista home or Vista Basic and won't support Aero. Microsoft is now being sued over that.

I bought a Compaq with an AMD Turion 64 thinking I could upgrade to 64 bit Vista which I get in my Action Pack subscription but HP/Compaq doesn't support the 64 bit drivers either and has no plans to. It was also labeled Vista Capable. Which is BS.

Best advice if you're buying a new PC or Laptop make sure it comes with the version of Vista you want with ALL the features you want enabled. You will have extreme difficulty in upgrading if it's even possible.

Edwin
Old 08-23-2007, 01:45 AM

Older AMD Athlons ran benchmark tests around P4s in a desktop application.
Every AMD I have had run to compared to an Intel.
I haven't kept up with technology, Im still running an Athlon 800 on my desktop. My lappy is modern, but its corporate standard so I take what they give.

Every component comes into play on a computer to make it "seem" fast. Hard drive speed, to motherboard brand. all effects how fast a computer opens your web browser (which is what 90% of people use their computers for)
Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Either processor is fine for standard use laptop. Unless you're planning to use as a workstation and run Wildfire 4.0. Then I would pick the Intel Duo Core.

If planning to run Vista Business 64 at least get 2gig of memory for better performance. That OS has a lot of overhead due to security and networking.

MikeyB
Old 08-23-2007, 10:29 AM

I'm running a 64 bit AMD in my laptop. I prefer AMD myself. Just a personal preference. I've been using AMD since the k6-2 series. They are more affordable and I've just had better luck with them. Every time I've had an Intel setup it died prematurely. Maybe it's just my luck.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Every component comes into play on a computer to make it "seem" fast. Hard drive speed, to motherboard brand. all effects how fast a computer opens your web browser (which is what 90% of people use their computers for)

Voice of reason.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:18 PM

GO MAC.. I have had it with Bill and his windows. Went Mac never looked back, Runs great. Pooy on Vista and all the troubles it has, GO MAC and have a trouble free compter, no virus threats, no update issues, the list goes on and on and on.

03 Qcab Sbox

Quick Reply: AMD or Intel?