Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

An amazing video Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
An amazing video Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM

music is annoying.

footage is Mad Max.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea_ you can find the same thing in Flint- Saginaw -Lansing
if i said anything else i would be considered a racist
Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

a bit rough to watch from all the shaking and jumping around and generally poor editing.
Its funny tho, I watched that thinking, ya know, I bet you could pick up quit a number of continuous acres there and bulldoze it once and let nature finish taking over for a nice little plot.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM
DTR Mom

Wink

then watch the inhabitants come back looking for their checks and demanding their free houses...sorry, katrina still stuck in my head....

long time experience with fixing up places inner city type. my dad and I fixed up apartment buildings for a rich uncle.

you get it painted and nice windows and such- they get broken by the 'neighbors' to put it politely or have some big scary person of color waiting for you 'give me this house, it's nice' as he stands up with a steel pipe...shame if it burned down....

but, for you fronty- I'd sell ya the land for cheap LOL
Old 01-07-2010, 01:41 AM

I think I seen more boats then I did cars... weird.

How would you even start to correct a situation like that?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
How would you even start to correct a situation like that?
Help those that can't, stop helping those that won't and let nature run it's course
Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 AM

got this in email a while back... thought it was very interesting...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2349112/posts

Bryan
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like a rough place to be. I would not want to be there after dark. All those boats sitting around looks like times were good at some point. There were actually some nice looking houses if they were fixed up. Read about some of the social problems and how much government money was spent in a 9 square mile area (something like 400 million) and everything is now burnt out because it was just given to people who did not care.

Looks like something out of a mad max movie...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM

I guess we are supposed to feel sorry for a segment of the population that chooses to live this way and then complains when others don't come and clean it up.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Wow, what a mess. I had the same thought...get a dozer and haul the garbage off and you have a clean slate to work with but like justwannabeme said someone will take it or destroy it. My neighbor from Chicago was telling me the same thing a few weeks ago. I was complaining about some of the neighbors we have here in Phoenix and he said "you have no idea how much worse they can be". Then he told me a few stories but I wont repeat em because like Old Dog said, dont want to sound racist.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Wow! A squadron of giant bulldozers and a fleet of fuel tankers to fuel them wouldn't be able to make much of a difference.. There seems to be no end to it...
I would say burn it, but it looks like 4 out of 5 are already torched.
Maybe USAF needs a new bombing range.. If its still standing, it's a target...
Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
then watch the inhabitants come back looking for their checks and demanding their free houses... you get it painted and nice windows and such- they get broken by the 'neighbors' to put it politely or have some big scary person of color waiting for you 'give me this house, it's nice' as he stands up with a steel pipe...shame if it burned down....
The fact of the matter is that those areas looked like that long before the economy took a tank. I was there in the late 90's, early 2000's and there wasn't any difference. It may be more expansive now, but it's still the same crap hole it always was. The people that 'live' there, CHOOSE to live like that. They like it and thrive in that existence. There are small areas like that here in K'zoo and people have felt sorry for the inhabitants. Someone takes an initiative, goes into the area and starts to clean it up and rehab it. About a month later stuff starts burning, gang riots erupt and the area goes back into disrepair. It happens quick, but once it's back to the dive it started out as, the violence subsides and things quiet down somewhat.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

They have it made, I don't have a boat. lol
Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
Wow! A squadron of giant bulldozers and a fleet of fuel tankers to fuel them wouldn't be able to make much of a difference.. There seems to be no end to it...
I would say burn it, but it looks like 4 out of 5 are already torched.
Maybe USAF needs a new bombing range.. If its still standing, it's a target...
Why not use areas like that for urban warefare training....I spent two years working on a 70 million dollar project for just that...Funny thing about some of the bldg's was they wanted them to be built like they had been blown up...not thrown together...everything had to be safe for whomever was traing there....brick walls were built with simulated blast holes in them....Then the power lines....I asked the "builders" why are they running wire...Was told they wan't it to be real so when a team comes in to train they can pretend to cut the lines...I about busted a gut, they looked at me an I told them I knew that but they don't cut the wire in between the poles....They kinda thought for a second then laughed....Luckely they at least used Al. wire
Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
A helping hand is good. Handouts have never worked. "God helps those who help themselves."

Quick Reply: An amazing video Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto