Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

All you Air Force people, c'mere..

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question All you Air Force people, c'mere..

So here I sit, two weeks from my ship date of Oct. 1st for BMT. Hard to believe nearly 3 years ago I had enlisted in the Marine Corps at 17 and yet I'm fixin to go to San Antone [shrug] . Life happens.

Anyways, here's the deal. I was gunna sign up for the helo crew, but I didn't meet the lifting req. (only lifted 70 lbs, needs to lift at least 90 lbs I believe) Then I was gunna go for EOD. Found out I have zero depth perception. (don't even start asking about me having a problem running into walls and what not) So not only does that take away EOD, it takes away nearly every single other airborne job I was considering. I have an AFQT of 88 (my SMSgt father is still giving me crap about that one. He scored nearly perfect in everything) so I picked to go open mech 54 (or whatever the higher mech field was, I qualify for any job I want except for the DP and higher lifting one). These are the fields that interest me in the mechincal section.

1. Aerospace Ground Equipment Apprentice
2. Aerospace Maintenance Apprentice
3. Aerospace Propulsion Apprentice
4. Aerospace Propulsion Apprentice, Turboprop and Turboshaft Propulsion
5. Aircraft Structural Maintenance Apprentice

I'm at a loss as to what order I want to put my jobs in. "Supposedly" the last two guys my recruiter sent down both got their first picks. Not to eager to put all my eggs in one basket, so I picked out five. To tell you the truth I love engines of any kind. Diesel, gas, two-stroke, four-stroke, turbine (I know some of these overlap) etc. Anything that goes boom and moves because of that boom, I want to work on. At first I wanted to go for the Turboprop as my number one, (I love heavys) but then again I could pick the Ground Equip. option and get the chance to work on diesels and learn more about the engine that's close to what's in my truck.

I'd also like to try for a flying crew chief on a heavy (Aerospace Maintenance Apprentice) but I have no idea what all is required of them. From the description my recruiter gave me, he made it sound like it was extremely difficult. (I wanted to fly before I wanted to work on engines, but then again, what 7 year old doesn't? ) Aircraft Structural Maintenance Apprentice is one I just threw in there as a last resort..

Sorry for such the long post, but if anyone knows anything about these jobs and could give me some input, I'd really, really appreciate it. My recruiter isn't much help, seeing how he enlisted as one of them people that can draw pretty pictures.. And that's all he did. The only bit of advice he could give me was not to pick any jobs that had the letters F-U-E-L in them..

Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

Those are all pretty good jobs.

Structures you'll spend time working on aircraft panels. Rivets, sheetmetal fab, painting, etc.

AGE deals with all the support equipment from Lite Alls to heaters to diesel/gas air compressors, etc. You work back shop (fixing all the stuff) or flight line (delivering the stuff)

Don't know a whole lot about the Aircraft maint. guys.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM

I was a crew chief on the C-5 Galaxy, and to be a flying crewchief it does take a lot. PM me if you want to know more about aircraft maintenance and I will tell you all you want to know about it.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:25 PM

I'm a turboprop guy myself. The good ole' C-130 Hercules. I love that aircraft. Never, ever call those motors jets . If you get the chance to work flightline you'll love it. Depending on which base you go to (Ramstein and Pope for me) it's pretty fast paced. You get a real sense of satisfaction fixing the motor, jumpin' in the seats and firing them up to op check, and then watching them fly away knowing it was you that got that plane off the ground on time. I would recommend turboprop. You get to go to cool places flying with the plane. You can also become qualified as a flying crew chief while still being a turboprop mechanic. Some bases will even give you flight pay if your up in the air enough.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replies y'all, this is a lot of help. Anyone else want to give more input, please feel free.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:30 PM

My nephew is in the Air force. He just got back from Iraq. He loads fighter jets. He was real happy when they came back empty. I will pm you his myspace page and maybe he can help you out. He has been in San Antonio ,New Mexico Houston, and Iraq. Just checked his is private so I sent you his wifes. She can get you in touch with him.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 PM

I was a crew chief on C-130, for four years active duty and 30 years full time air guard. Had a good time. You have to work long hours and in all kind of weather. You were always the first one there and the last one to leave. I traveled all over the world, some good some bad places but over all had a great time, would do it again.