Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Air Force Thunderbird Crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Force Thunderbird Crash

Thought some of you might be interested in this. I know some of you are pilots and there are many who love to watch the Air Force Thunderbirds give demonstrations, as I do.

I went to Mountain Home, Idaho Air Force Base southeast of Boise today to the annual Gunfighter Skies Air Show, a two day event. The climax at the end of the show today was a demonstration of the U. S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron Thunderbirds.

One of the six Lockheed Martin F-16C Fighting Falcons of the Thunderbirds crashed today. :'( The pilot, who was identified as Cpt. Chris Stricklen, appeared to be having engine problems and looked to me as if he were trying to resolve the issue but he got down to around 100 feet off the ground and he pulled the ejection handle and ejected from the jet about 2 seconds before it crashed, and then parachuted safely to the ground. The crowd, estimated at about 85,000, immediately grew so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I'm not sure how far away he was, but less than 1/4 mile, and right in front of us. Right now the speed at the time is unknown but was probably around 600 mph. (Mach 1 is about 725 mph at this altitude and the temp. today)

He was on the ground for about two minutes, then he stood up and waved to the crowd and we all knew he was OK and gave a thundering ovation. After the wave he lay back down on the ground where he stayed until picked up by the ambulance and taken to the hospital. He walked out of the hospital on his own after being examined for about 4 1/2 hrs.

My understanding is that one is severely bruised just from the ejection.

Just thought you might like to know,

Stan
Old 09-15-2003, 05:16 AM

Re:Air Force Thunderbird Crash

Now that is some serious good luck !! I would sure want to buy the ejection seat mechanic a few beers after that one !!

At least he was ok ... soiled, but ok.

PISTOL
Old 09-15-2003, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw that on the news just as I was walking out the dor this morning.
There was also a small plane crash at another show where the plane hit the ground and tumbled end over end several times. The guy walked away from that one too. Guess there are angels out there somewhere.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:23 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Read about this crash yesterday and all I could find out was that the pilot was OK. Over the years have lost a few friends and aquintences in aircraft crashes and now I feel for all involved when this happens.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:20 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

So many problems in the military, it's nice to hear about a victory now and then. I imagine a hundred feet was barely enuff time to get the full effect of a parachute.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:31 AM

Actually Redleg- the Aces II seat can be ejected from the ground and will deploy the chute safely. We've done it here at least once that I can remember.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:33 AM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.

I saw the Thunderbirds perform at the Reno Air Races the day before the crash. Magnificent show.

We had one biplane ground loop there after a Mayday landing. Pilot also walked away. He had just won the biplane "Gold" race there.

If you've never been to the air races, give it a look one of these years. http://www.airrace.org/

100 proof