Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

86 Jeep CJ7 help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Jeep CJ7 help

Aight here goes. My teacher has a Jeep CJ-7 1986. She changes the oil every 3-4000 miles. We went to go look at her jeep today and notice that the air filter has oil in it and the PCV is completly clogged. I notice her HG is cracked. She has basicly gotten frustrated with this motor. She wants to know where she can go in the HOUSTON AREA where she can get a new motor. What would be better rebuild the motor or buy a new one and sell the one she has now?

Thanks for the info.

Sean
Old 11-07-2003, 01:32 PM

Re:86 Jeep CJ7 help

Can't help you on any good wrenches in Houston, but?

The HG (Head Gasket) is cracked? Or is there another HG I'm not thinking about? Is it a blown head gasket? Is there coolant in the oil? Is it blowing coolant out of the radiator/coolant tank?

How many miles - on the engine, on the PCV, on the air filter? Has she done any maintenance on it other than having Jiffy Lube do the oil changes? How much compression in each cylinder?

Just hate to see her buy a new engine for nothing. If she does, remind her that you normally get what you pay for.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:44 PM

Re:86 Jeep CJ7 help

Hey TxRed,

I used to have an 81 CJ-7 and I had quite a bit of difficulty with the PCV valve getting clogged up. Change the valve, the filter element where it enters the air cleaner and try spraying WD-40 on ALL vacuum lines. A rise in engine RPM indicates a leaky vacuum line. Also check all of the plastic Tees and splices in that they used to be known for getting brittle and cracking, especially down here in the Houston heat. Also if your teacher is having "power prob's with engine, add an in-line fuel filter in the gas line before it gets to intake. I used an aftermarket A/C Delco filter housing that utilized, I believe, a GF-35 filter. This set-up will allow for a small amount of water seperation should it pick up condensation or water from gas tank. The stock filter would fill up with H2O fairly rapidly and choke off fuel flow. One more nifty trick I learned on mine was to spray the inside of the distributor cap and plug wires with waterproofing coating. The way the distributor was designed made it prone to condensation under the cap, thus crappy power.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Also if the HG is head gasket, have teach drop old engine out and opt for a 304 V-8. That will make the beast ROCK!!