Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

2009 Darwin award nominees

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
2009 Darwin award nominees

Have no idea if these are true or not, but here they are anyway:

And once again, it's time for the Darwin Award Nominees. The Darwins are awarded every year to the persons who died in the stupidest manner, thereby removing themselves from the gene pool. This year's nominees are:

Nominee No. 1: (San Jose Mercury News): An unidentified man, using a shotgun like a club to break a former girlfriend's windshield, accidentally shot himself to death when the gun discharged, blowing a hole in his gut..

Nominee No. 2: (Kalamazoo Gazette): James Burns, 34, (a mechanic) of Alamo, MI, was killed in March as he was trying to repair what police describe as a "farm-type truck." Burns got a friend to drive the truck on a highway while Burns hung underneath so that he could ascertain the source of a troubling noise. Burns clothes caught on something however and the other man found Burns "wrapped in the drive shaft..”

Nominee No. 3: (Hickory Daily Record): Ken Charles Barger, 47, accidentally shot himself to death in December in Newton, NC. Awakening to the sound of a ringing telephone beside his bed, he reached for the phone but grabbed instead a Smith & Wesson 38 Special, which discharged when he drew it to his ear.

Nominee No. 4: (UPI, Toronto): Police said a lawyer demonstrating the safety of windows in a downtown Toronto skyscraper crashed through a pane with his shoulder and plunged 24 floors to his death. A police spokesman said Garry Hoy, 39, fell into the courtyard of the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower early Friday evening as he was explaining the strength of the building's windows to visiting law students. Hoy previously had conducted demonstrations of window strength according to police reports. Peter Lawson, managing partner of the firm Holden Day Wilson, told the Toronto Sun newspaper that Hoy was "one of the best and brightest" (ed note: ????) members of the 200-man association.

Nominee No. 5: (The News of the Weird): Michael Anderson Godwin made News of the Weird posthumously. He had spent several years awaiting South Carolina's electric chair on a murder conviction before having his sentence reduced to life in prison. While sitting on a metal toilet in his cell attempting to fix his small TV set, he bit into a wire and was electrocuted.

Nominee No. 6: A cigarette lighter may have triggered a fatal explosion in Dunkirk, IN. A Jay Countryman, using a cigarette lighter to check the barrel of a muzzle loader, was killed Monday night when the weapon discharged in his face, sheriffs' investigators said. Gregory David Pryor, 19, died in his parents' rural Dunkirk home at about 11:30 PM. Investigators said Pryor was cleaning a 54-caliber muzzle-loader that had not been firing properly. He was using the lighter to look into the barrel when the gunpowder ignited.

Nominee No. 7: (Reuters, Mississauga, Ontario ): A man cleaning a bird feeder on the balcony of his condominium apartment in his Toronto suburb slipped and fell 23 stories to his death. Stefan Macko, 55, was standing on a wheelchair when the accident occurred, said Inspector Darcy Honer of the Peel Regional Police. "It appears that the chair moved, and he went over the balcony," Honer said.

Finally, THE WINNER!: (Arkansas Democrat Gazette): Two local men were injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early Monday. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, were returning to Des Arc after a frog catching trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Pooles pickup truck headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older-model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the 22 caliber bullets from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering-wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet the headlights again began to operate properly, and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.

After traveling approximately 20 miles, and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged, and struck Poole in the *********. The vehicle swerved sharply right, exiting the pavement, and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require extensive surgery to repair the damage to his ********* which will never operate again as intended.

Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released. "Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his ***** off, or we might both be dead," stated Wallis.

"I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened," said Snyder.

Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia (Poole's wife) asked how many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them from the truck. Priorities, after all!

Though Poole and Wallis did not die as a result of their misadventure as normally required by Darwin Award Official Rules, it can be argued that Poole did, in fact, effectively remove himself from the gene pool.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not sure where you got that but it is not from this year. I have read most of those already and Myth Busters even debunked a few of those like the .22 cal bullet for a fuse thing. I read the drive shaft one about 5 years ago to.

None the less I could easily see a few of those being true. We have some stupid people out there.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
obama should be on there for spending the most money, bowing to the most foreign dbags, killin the nation etc! all within 11 months of office!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:49 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Not sure where you got that but it is not from this year. I have read most of those already and Myth Busters even debunked a few of those like the .22 cal bullet for a fuse thing. I read the drive shaft one about 5 years ago to.

None the less I could easily see a few of those being true. We have some stupid people out there.
Had a feeling that some of these were not current or true. Oh well, they are still good for a chuckle.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Nominee No. 4: (UPI, Toronto): Police said a lawyer demonstrating the safety of windows in a downtown Toronto skyscraper crashed through a pane with his shoulder and plunged 24 floors to his death. A police spokesman said Garry Hoy, 39, fell into the courtyard of the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower early Friday evening as he was explaining the strength of the building's windows to visiting law students. Hoy previously had conducted demonstrations of window strength according to police reports. Peter Lawson, managing partner of the firm Holden Day Wilson, told the Toronto Sun newspaper that Hoy was "one of the best and brightest" (ed note: ????) members of the 200-man association.
I saw this on one of those worlds dumbest shows not to long ago...
Old 12-26-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
A lawyer finally doing a much needed public service
Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan

Nominee No. 7: (Reuters, Mississauga, Ontario ): A man cleaning a bird feeder on the balcony of his condominium apartment in his Toronto suburb slipped and fell 23 stories to his death. Stefan Macko, 55, was standing on a wheelchair when the accident occurred, said Inspector Darcy Honer of the Peel Regional Police. "It appears that the chair moved, and he went over the balcony," Honer said.
these two sound really fake. i have never heard of these. they would have been all over the news and listen and read it everyday.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto-Dominion_Centre
scroll way down to: A working complex, it mentions the lawyer

---------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/window.asp

It really happened but it was 1993.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2009.html

The real 2009 list, just as crazy
Old 12-27-2009, 03:38 PM

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/1.../frog-gigging/

heh, funny. Comic Lewis Black used to do a bit about this story back in 1998 or something. Kinda disappointing to hear that the story isnt true.

Oh well, Black still makes it funny.