Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Winch multi mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winch multi mount

I'm looking at getting a hitch type moveable front-rear set up for a 12k winch.

Who makes them for our trucks and who has the best deal on winch rope(not cable)?

Rick
Old 09-03-2005, 07:45 PM

I think that the multi-mount setups are only rated for 9k winches.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:47 PM
OX1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, 12K winch would need dual rec mounts. Not sure I'd want a 12K on multi-mount anyway. Going to be tough to find a connector that will supply enough juice to a 12k. I know the std connectors that Warn supplies will not adequately feed a 12k under full load (upwards of 500 amps)........... I run 00 on my 12K warn on my muddin rig, the std connectors are only good for maybe 2 guage max...............
Old 09-03-2005, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OX1
Going to be tough to find a connector that will supply enough juice to a 12k.
Go to your local welding supply store. Pretty sure they could hook you up with some quick connect couplers. You would just have to fab up a little mounting bracket
Old 09-04-2005, 01:29 AM

What about the wholesale price on rope as it is much lighter to carry?

Rick
Old 10-13-2005, 11:59 AM

Get a hydraulic winch. You will never look back. I have had 3 electric winches and they all failed. No lie. 2 on the four wheelers, and one on my off road rig. The motor took a dump right after the 2 yr warranty. The atv winches both stripped their gears right before the 1 yr warranty was up. I bought a 10.5 hydraulic winch and now have 7 years of hard use on it. It was on 3 different trucks, and is now on my 02. I bought it back in 1998 and have had no problems whatsoever. Plus no battery drain, and no high temps of the winch. Plus they make a multi mount. If you have to have one, build your own mount. www.winchesplus.com Talk to dave. He is a straight shooter and will see it to you alot cheaper then an electric. It is waterproof, lighter, no battery drain, 2 speed, hellofalot more reliable, more powerful, and customer service is great. I now have 2 hydraulic winches on my trucks, and 2 electric on my four wheelers. All milemarker.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
Get a hydraulic winch. You will never look back. I have had 3 electric winches and they all failed. No lie. 2 on the four wheelers, and one on my off road rig. The motor took a dump right after the 2 yr warranty. The atv winches both stripped their gears right before the 1 yr warranty was up. I bought a 10.5 hydraulic winch and now have 7 years of hard use on it. It was on 3 different trucks, and is now on my 02. I bought it back in 1998 and have had no problems whatsoever. Plus no battery drain, and no high temps of the winch. Plus they make a multi mount. If you have to have one, build your own mount. www.winchesplus.com Talk to dave. He is a straight shooter and will see it to you alot cheaper then an electric. It is waterproof, lighter, no battery drain, 2 speed, hellofalot more reliable, more powerful, and customer service is great. I now have 2 hydraulic winches on my trucks, and 2 electric on my four wheelers. All milemarker.
I would have to respectfully disagree about making a generalization the hydraulic winches are simply better. I have owned a few MM hydro winches and still have a 6 year old 10.5k 2 speed unit - but it is on the back of my Jeep, not the front.....the reason being is, that as strong and as reliable as the hydro winches are, they are not as good at self-recovery as a good electric winch. The down sides to the hydro winch for my self recovery application are : 1) Since the PS pump has to drive a steering box and a ram, it makes the steering unusable while the winch is running - the PS pump simply does not flow anywhere near enough to run all 3 components to full power.....this can be a notable problem in some self-recovery situations. 2) The hydro winch will not run if the engine doesn't run.....I have been in several situations where there is deep water or where the Jeep has been on it's side and was not feasable or it would be detrimental to have the engine running - but I needed the winch to operate to get the truck unstuck or righted. 3) No load/low load line speed is the same loaded or unloaded on a hydro winch.....this can be an annoyance when your stuck truck does not require a lot of winching force to free it. The result is that you find yourself consisitently over-running the cable since the winches' no load/low load speed is far too slow. For these reasons, I use a Warn 8274 electric winch on the front for self recovery and the MM hydro winch on the rear for heavy recovery, usually of others - there is a few huge full-sized trucks in our 4x4 club that really know how to get there trucks stuck good and jam them into places they shouldn't be!

All that said, if you need to be the all day winch master and find yourself spending a lot of time pulling others out and frequently are involved in heavy recoveries, the hydro winch is the way to go. With huge pulling power, a 100% duty cycle and the reliability of hydraulics, these are the winches to use in those situations but for the the reasons I previously stated, I will not use a hydro winch for self recovery in an offroad/rock crawling environment.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM

My turn. I have owned a M8000 warn winch. This winch was more of a lighter duty, but back in the early 90's, there was nothing really bigger. The 8274 was an option, but seems expensive. The 8k I had burned the motor up at 2.1 years old. Only had a 2 year warranty. At the time I was looking at alternatives and saw the hyd winches. Cheap, light, and can pull a house. Well, I have never been in the situation of rolling. Close but have never done it. I have seen jeeps stall in rushing glacier fed rivers, and the batts dont have enough power to winch the think out of the river. It will move it 20 ft (maybe) forward, but thats about it. Still in the rushing river. So, for me the motor running wasnt a big thing considering the electrics couldnt get you out anyways. It was best for a buddy to pull you back out so motor running wasnt a concern. Like I said, flipping over would be the only thing better for electric. No oil psi is bad. I dont PLAN on flipping over. I have winched for 14 straight hours (no BS) pulling out trees where we didnt want stumps. The truck just idled and that winch never got hot, or had to let the batts charge back up. Plus, in the 7 years I have owned it, I have had 0 problems. My warn broke just past the two year warranty. Actually the high lever came off, pin slipped through the lever. Called milemarker, BAM. 3 days had 2 new levers for nothing. That is customer service. I have two atvs that both had warn 2500 winches. Within a month of each other, but winches had to be rebuilt just before the 1 year warranty expired. Stripped the dam gears right out of the PLASTIC housing. Plus the corrosion and electrical doesnt mix with water. The hydraulic is totally sealed. I bought a ramsey 2500 to replace the old warn, and it has a limited lifetime warranty. Still electric though. The other winch I got is a milemarker electric and it has steel gears. I am just waiting for a hydraulic winch for a four wheelr. No probs with water.
I have had electric winches, and have had bad luck with them. No probs with hydraulic. I have two of them. I will buy them again. To each his own.
Oh by the way, Nut did you know that the 02.5's have 32 spline shafts in front? I set up my eaton electric locker and 4.10 gears and my shafts wont fit in the 30 spline housing? Must have changed it when they got rid of the CAD. Now I am having shafts cut and splined by moser. Pain in the A.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
1) "The 8274 was an option, but seems expensive."

2) "I have seen jeeps stall in rushing glacier fed rivers, and the batts dont have enough power to winch the think out of the river. It will move it 20 ft (maybe) forward, but thats about it." Still in the rushing river. So, for me the motor running wasnt a big thing considering the electrics couldnt get you out anyways."

3) " I have winched for 14 straight hours (no BS) pulling out trees where we didnt want stumps. The truck just idled and that winch never got hot, or had to let the batts charge back up."

4) "Oh by the way, Nut did you know that the 02.5's have 32 spline shafts in front? I set up my eaton electric locker and 4.10 gears and my shafts wont fit in the 30 spline housing? Must have changed it when they got rid of the CAD. Now I am having shafts cut and splined by moser." Pain in the A.
1) Yes, the 8274 is very expensive, but you get what you pay for....it is nearly indestructable and routinely outpulls 9k winches and has a higher line speed than even the HS winches and is the only winch that carries 150' of cable.....there is a reason the design has been around for nearly 6 decades. No planetaries, just a huge steel gears in a sealed wet sump gear box. I would not consider a different electric winch for my application as I have seen many people let down by lesser winches but rarely anyone over the years has been let down by the 8274. My 8274 is on it's 5th season of abuse and superior performance.

2) I use to feel the same way you did until I had the appropriate battery power to run the winch without the engine running.....I can easily reel in all the cable at close to peak capacity without the engine running......obviously this is not possible if you are equipped with one 500 CA battery!

3) I will not contest this for 1 second as I have had plenty of experience myself with these winches and can also attest to their performance.....in this instance, this is where the hydro winch shines!

4) Now that you mention it, I recall some mention of this before......no doubt, Eaton does not offer 32 spline side gears?!?!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 PM

I must have gotten the last eaton electric locker for the 60. Randys ring and pinion doesnt have any right now. A hell of a back order as well. Meanwhile the truck is sitting there with the front axle apart. Well the pumpkin is put together, but waiting for shafts. Eaton will not make a 32 spline side gear. I was checking yesterday. My only option is to take out the e locker, and put in an arb. I dont want to do that. I just wish they would make a dana 80 detroit e locker. Then you can have a limited slip while not locked.
All I know is that the milemarker has saved many people before, and me, and has never let me down. The warn has done it several times.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:11 PM

I have had a 8724 with the cable pull system from inside the cab(old school),on my 73 Cheby 3/4 ton, a M9000, on my 86 Nissan truck and a relatively unheard of Desert Dynamics 9000lb winch on my 77 Jeep CJ5.

The most impressive was the latter as it was one big MO! I had optional 1/2" cable instead of 3/8" and 125 ft of it to boot.

I have thought about going hydraulic but the motor must be running and though this is not going to be a recovery vehicle it may be called upon to do so occasionally.

I also like the fact that the electric winch would be moveable though I do not like the fact that moveable winches do not carry the load ratings I would require.

As a rule of thumb winches should have at least 2 1/2 times the vehicle weight capacity. This relegates my vehicle 6900lb to a 15k winch.Though I will not be able to reach this paramiter it is by far the most logical choice.

Rick
Old 10-16-2005, 11:20 AM

Your winch should be rated for 1 1/2 times your vehicle weight. My truck weighs almost 8000 lbs, and they dont make a winch that would be 2.5 times bigger unless you go industrial for a dozer. Electric winches (I think) have only one way they excell and that is for recovery only. IE you roll over. Hydraulic for everything else. Does this mean I am biased?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:22 PM

ridof I stand corrected thanks! So at 6900lbs dry I'm still looking at 10k + and a 12k winch will not fit a multi mount. Back to square 1.

FYI I did, however, pick up another 8274(electronic control) this week off of a '92 CHP Bronco complete with warn winch bumper! Maybe used 3X . .........cost???.................$0.00

Rick
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Rick, those 8274 winches are fast. Believe me I have seen them work on the trail before. Is my milemarker fast with the two speed? Yes, but it will not keep up with an 8274, even in high range. But it will pull more, and doesnt draw many amps. I think it uses 2 amps for the solenoid. As far as mulit mounts, I would fab something if you have to have it. The pulling to the side is what kills teh multi mounts. Fab up some 2.5" square tubing on both sides of your class? hitch, and that should beef up and make the multi mount work with a bigger winch. If you have an electric already, dont go buy a hydraulic, just giving you options. ALso, sweet pickup for the solenoid. Free is nice.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:49 PM

One thing about the hydraulic MM winches, why don't you just run them on a hydraulic pump if you really want them. This way you get all the benefits of both the electric and hydraulic winches and if you get a 2 valve pump you could use it to run rear steering . Lastly I believe that an electric pump should still be pulling fewer amps than an electric winch, I'm not sure on this one but it seems like it would make sense.

Quick Reply: Winch multi mount