Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Tips pulling a stuck vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys have some great ideas. Heavy duty straps like the ones being asked about can be found at AWDirect.com. Also, when hooking up a chain with a hook....always face the hook down. The tip should be facing the ground so if something breaks, it's momentum is aimed at the ground. If not, it will come flying through the air. I have seen this many times. Anytime you guys have questions about towing, winching someone out or where to buy supplies, feel free to ask. I have been on hundreds of accident scenes, winchouts and recovery type work. I know my way around chains and straps. I am still open to learn new things to help me out at work. Every little bit of knowledge helps.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:51 PM

I'll be the odd man out here and say that I prefer using a chain but you've got to have the right chain for the job. For hard pulls I have a 25' long grade 80 5/8" chain, it weights over 100lbs so it's not something I use often but I've seen it stop a D-6 or a 22,000lb 4wd farm tractor dead in their tracks. The advantage I like about a chain is they are easier to hook up and they can be hooked shorter when needed. You do need to be careful not to jerk when using small chains and I know even my big chain can break but I've seen it do some things I wouldn't try with a strap.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

As far as using a chain goes, NEVER!
I was almost killed pulling a truck out of a mud bog using a John Deere 710D
The hook snapped and flew right past my head. I felt it go by.
The chain landed between me and the rops of the machine.
The hook was later found about 150 feet behind me.

Pulling in reverse is a sure way to break a ring gear.

Use a pulling or rigging strap.

Never hook to a tow ball.....really dumb move!

Remember, should you break something or hurt someone, chances are that your insurance will do nothing for you.
You'll never get paid what the job is worth, so why bother?
For that reason, its best to call a tow company.
They have insurance to cover the unknown and have more experience than the average weekend worrier.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:00 PM

That is true rollover pete. Tow trucks are made for that sort of thing and are insured in case something happens. The only downfall is some companies, like the one I work for, wont let their trucks get off the pavement. They are too heavy.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by RollOver Pete
Never hook to a tow ball.....really dumb move!
What about a pintle/ball combination w/ the pintle closed?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hodowanec
What about a pintle/ball combination w/ the pintle closed?
Probably depends on the rating of the ball. If it's the standard 2K ball, I wouldn't do it. The ball needs to be rated as high as the tow strap IMHO.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 PM

tow trucks

tow trucks hmm unless towing company owns a dozer there is now way they are gona come and pull me out of the places i go
Old 09-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TRCM
The toolbox door and hood being up are good ideas, as I have seen a chain that was hooked to the end of a tow strap go thru a tailgate, thru the cab, and took the carb off the engine.

Yep, much better to have a dented funny looking hood/toolbox than a decapitation any day.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always pull my 2 5/16" ball receiver out & use my 2" ******-n-strap. I don't like the straps with the hooks on each end- I can just see that becoming a missile aimed at you.
I put the strap into the receiver past the hole where the pin goes thru, & put the pin in & lock it, holding it that way. Best way to do it.
I like the idea of putting the cargo box lid up if your using a chain.....
Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 AM

Location: Home station is Fort Bragg, North Carolina, overseas- CSC Scania, Iraq
Now..snow pulling. Was rear axle deep in snow a couple years back with my '92 chevy 1500. Had no traction at all. What happened was I was comin around a turn, lost traction, slid 180 degrees into the opposing lanes snow bank. I was screwed. And an hour away from anybody unless they just happened to drive by and also no cell phone reception..Now, I got pulled out by a Ford about 6 hours later but it wasn't exactly what I call a recommended way. He attached a **** tow strap to my axle, attached the other end to his hitch and jerked me the hell out. Only problem was that when he jerked me free, I went flying all over the icy road back and forth bouncing off snow banks. I got traction about 100 yards down the road.

Any suggestions to be safer about it in case this happens again. This was some time ago when I was...stupid, but still, could happen again.

Nick
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 AM

when i get called to pull people out of the mudd they hook their own chain up and then they are told to "hold on" what ever happens happens
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 PM

As for the chain vs strap saga. I use a combination of both most of the time. Usually when you are pulling a vehicle not equipped with tow points a chain is necessary to attach to it. I usually double up the chain. Then run a strap to my truck.

I NEVER use the hammer down and yank it out method. Stupidest thing to do IMHO. Just asking to break things or injure people. I always try to find level ground or a dry area then just put the truck in lowest gear setting possible. Then pull steadily.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
You won't have any trouble with twisting the driveline, you're sig says you have an auto. If what you are pulling is really stuck or you have limited traction a tug-em nylon strap works wonders. No violent jerk and no damage, but a lot of force if you are moving when it gets tight. Chains are OK if you are very careful and don't need much initial force to get the stuck vehicle moving, or if you're towing with a heavy machine like a buldozer or tractor. Never jerk with a chain. The strap is better if the towing vehicle is lighter than the stuck one or if you just want to move someone who is broken down on the road. I never go on a trip without my strap.

Wetspirit
amen i have a deasert rat 6 in wide 30 f/t long 60 k and will not hook a chain to my truck . robbie
Old 01-07-2008, 12:53 AM

best investment to make is the largest winch within buget alot of large chain and two ****** blocks to double the winchs power. and a shovel and axe. also i found when pulling someone else out the axe can come in handy for holding down the brake pedal, just hold down the pedal wedge the axe btwn seat and pedal and move seat forward.or chain truck to tree.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Better yet, use a synthetic rope made of UHMWPE, so that if it breaks, it drops harmlessly to the ground instead of whipping through the air in search of a head to sever.

You want a tow Strap?? Try the Super Yanker. This joker is unreal. See below:

For the ultimate in recovery equipment, contact Emile at MasterPull:

www.masterpull.com
HOHN - I am thinking of getting one of these (1-1/4") - will it have trouble fitting in the tow hooks on my truck?? Im guessing no... but wanted to be sure before I spend that kind of money... Looks like it would fit a lot easier than a 3+ inch strap....

Quick Reply: Tips pulling a stuck vehicle