Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Tips pulling a stuck vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or something like this my friend showed me off an F150 site:

Nice truck eh?

A little stuck....

Old 06-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

Opps...

Escovators running after daylight is never a good sign.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM
JAX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy, that is bad on so many different levels. Any Diesel powered pickup, in a 3/4 ton chassis or bigger, just isn't the right rig to try and mud with unless you have done a BUNCH of work and put even more money into. Sure, we have gobs of power, but our trucks are so freakin heavy. Man, that guy had no business being there with that tank of a truck. Anyway, you can get heavy duty straps, like the ones we have been talking about at most any 4WD shop around. If you don't have one close to you, check out
http://www.4wheelparts.com/.

They'll have anything and everything you're looking for.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 PM

man that guy with the ford is a retard. buy a strap off ebay. 4 wheel parts is a joke. ive had my trk in the mud one time, never again. I had a trailer behind me also to turn around in a field not to play. it was in 4high on the floor and barely moving
Old 06-10-2007, 03:08 AM

Just to add about the right vehicle/equipment argument. I watched a buddy get pulled out by a JEEP in his diesel excursion with lockers, chip, blah blah blah. He had half his rear end a canal and the front of his truck was barley tracking on some sand. The jeep pulls up, hooks up his winch, digs himself down and into a hole and winched the excursion right out. This was after several vehicles tried to yank the excursion out. I gained a little respect for jeeps that day...
Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DECEPTiON21
I gained a little respect for jeeps that day...
I have full respect for jeeps, but the respect in that case was due to the winch. Properly rigged, that 10.5k winch on the jeep could lift a truck straight up... now if he tried to get her out by pulling, not winching, I bet that wouldn't work, and he knew it.
-P
Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Banned

the tip of the strap hook must face up. that way if the hook fails, the energy will throw it into the ground, not into the air.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:04 PM

One thing about getting stuck...it is not fun. I have been pretty lucky with my Dodge and have been able to get out of some places I shouldn't have been with a loaded trailer. My current job I drive a 10 wheel Peterbilt with a 3400 gallon water tank hauling chemicals for spray trucks, that truck is great as long as it is solid ground, but if it is just a bit soft forget it! I have had that truck stuck 6 times since March! I never listen the spray truck driver any more, when he says it's solid come on out to me, last time I listened to one of them I turned into a field entrance and made it 8 feet before the front end bottomed out! So now I park as close to the edge of the field as possible and tell them to get to me since they have the floation tires!
Heck I have even managed to get the truck stuck on level ground on wet grass!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:17 PM
JAX

Originally Posted by jwb600
4 wheel parts is a joke.
Well, care to enlighten us as to your all seeing, all knowing attitude?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by PG4x4
Here is what I have learned in my years of playing in the mud.

1. Only a diesel can pull out a diesel. Dont waste ur time trying to pull it out with a gas truck.

2. Only use a chain if u dont have to take a run at it and have good traction.

3. Havn't tried this but I heard if u stick a coat on the middle of the chain/rope and it breaks, the coat will keep the chain from coming up.

4. It is best to use a big(1"+) nylon strech rope and start trying to pull with no slack and if that dont work back up in 5' and try again and so on.

5. If u are playing in anytype of mud u might aswell go get a winch right now or have a buddy that has one. This saves alot of damage.

6. If u are pulling someone else out give them the roap to hook up to their vehicle. Cause if u hook it up wrong and tear something off it is their fault cause they hook it up.

7. I found it was best to use to stick a big shackle on the trailer reciever and hook the rope/chain to that.

8. Roll up all windows cause it's gonna get messy and it alot easier to clean the next morning.

9. Have 1 buddy stand back and video tape so u remember how u got ur truck dirty, or how bad u or buddy was stuck.

10. Have beer in hand when pulling cause it will spill if in the cup holder.

11. Have a set of rubber boots in the dry box, cause wet/muddy feet really suck.

12. The person getting pulled out must eather pay in cash or alcohol. Half before and half when pulled out.

I'll add to the list when I think of more.
I would agree with that. I installed a brand spankin' warn 16.5ti last week and was using it to tension a tree in the backyard yesterday (1st time the winch had been used other than to tension the line) Threw a moving blanket over the middle as this is what the Warn directions say to so (been using a winch for 20 years & haven't ever read the directions) low and behold the one time I follow the directions, the 7/16" wire rope decides to part ways with one another at about 10 feet out from the winch.

This dampening action really dies work. The cable pulled rather than sprang back. (to my disappointment.) i would think that a like would be overrated for the winch and especially wouldn't fail on the first pull on a brand like Warn.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by annabelle
Coat, blanket, tarp will take the energy out of the chain/winch cable/tow strap,if it breaks.

Better yet, use a synthetic rope made of UHMWPE, so that if it breaks, it drops harmlessly to the ground instead of whipping through the air in search of a head to sever.

You want a tow Strap?? Try the Super Yanker. This joker is unreal. See below:

For the ultimate in recovery equipment, contact Emile at MasterPull:

www.masterpull.com
Old 08-19-2007, 06:31 PM

either that rope posted abover or a ****** strap (same as a tow strap but it stretches a little when you pull, can be found at tractor supply). NEVER use a chain! Make sure you hook it too a good tow point too. That may sound like common sense but ive seen many bumpers pulled off this way.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:03 PM

yeah and never wrap a strap, hook, or chain around a trailer ball, i know someone that did this once and they started yanking and the ball sheered off and broke free and then it turned into like a cannonball. It went right through the back window and smacked the passenger a-pillar and left about a 2 inch deep dent in the sheetmetal A-pillar, luckily it went that way instead of back at the driver. that would have been bad. Just because that's the weekest point inbetween the reciever tube, and the strap since we were using a 40,000 lb. strap made for towing tractors and big rigs.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:45 PM

mud

well heres my 2 cents

my dodge has won me over 4 mudding contest they are has good has anything else in the mud you just need to use your head

has for that only diesel can pull diesel ive pulled my truck out with my 4whealer so

the best thing i saw for pulling is a wich i had on an old gm i had a 9000lbs ramsey winch the wiring went to the front and the back and the bed. i hooked it up on a hitch receiver i had a 10000lbs hitch in the back same under the bumper in the front and in the bed a 5000 lbs hitch for gettin in moose and such.

ive used it many times when i get a chance im putting a similar rig in my dodge
Old 08-26-2007, 01:19 AM

The toolbox door and hood being up are good ideas, as I have seen a chain that was hooked to the end of a tow strap go thru a tailgate, thru the cab, and took the carb off the engine.

And as for 4 wheel parts...they are lousy. I ordered some parts from them a few years back. All for a 79 dodge truck. They sent me half of the parts (gears & bearings) for a chevy. I sent the wrong parts back to them, and never got my money back. They CLAIM I never paid for them, but the receipt clearly shows a complete install kit, which includes bearings.

I got tired of fighting them and just wrote it off to a learning experience.

I WILL NEVER send them money again, no matter how good the deal is.

Quick Reply: Tips pulling a stuck vehicle