Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

My truck has no traction what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction device in the front NO NO unless selectable or CAD disabled. Truetrac is NOT a locker. It's a helical gear positraction. Do a search and you'll probably find some of my tirades on traction devices. I've played with them a bit.

The only really easy solution is the rear. From easiest to hardest:

1. rear Lunchbox Locker (aussie, lockright ezlocker) replaces side and spider gears. VERY VERY easy to do. Install with the axle on the ground. Pull shafts, cover, and carrier caps. Blast off ring gear, pop out pin and gears. Replace with locker. Put it back in. If it was really hard to get the carrier out, you may need a spreader or a thinner shim, but for the most part it's pretty easy usually.

2. Full case posi or locker same thing as above, but additionally you will need to install new bearings (or a splitter and press to reuse your old ones), and have shims to set backlash. Getting a little trickier.

3. Selectable front locker. You'll have to take nearly the whole axle apart to get the carrier out, and backlash will need to be set.

4. CAD disable or delete + locker or posi. plumb vac to keep CAD constantly engaged. If the dummy light drives you nuts get the shifter switch from a precad transfer case and wire it to your dash light. But with the CAD always locked in you can now run any traction device in the front. The easiest install will be a lunchbox locker, and full carriers will need backlash adjustments and carrier bearings put on.

Last would be upgrade to 35 spline fronts and freespins so the locker doesn't break your stock 32 spline shafts, and perhaps 35 spline outers-some freespin kits come with 30 spline outers so beware.

Best bang for buck is traction in the rear first as that's where you'll lift a tire first. Open diffs drive both tires, but when the bias of torque exceeds the traction available, and the traction on one side drops below 1/3 of the other side it begins to spin a "one legger". Flat ground on slick surfaces they usually spin all four.

Posis handle slightly funky-especially if very tight. Ratchet lockers handle quite funky. you know they are there! The exception being a lunchbox locker when in the front axle. In 2wd they are virtually invisible. Even with the hubs locked in.

PS if you get as far as freespin kits I'd look at Ford knuckles and inners and get a locker with 35 spline sides, but the seal location might become an "issue". The Ford outers on the correct years (can't remember which) will fit the dodge inner. Pirate has a pretty solid fully illustrated (and cute!) write up on this conversion.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
Go with a locking hub conversion first, then put a Lockright in the front. No special gear setup required. There's a few different ways to go about it using Ford parts on the Dodge housing. I've had a hand in getting 4 different 95-99 trucks converted. 2 of those guys drive their trucks daily.

If you have an open diff in the rear, you can Lockright that too. If its posi, the Lockright doesn't fit, so you might as well get the Detroit from the get-go.

I have both ends locked in my F350 (selling shortly). I'll be doing the same on my 'new' w250.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:41 PM
DJM

Anyone have any experience with the Auburn Gear ECTED Max that works as a limited slip differential when dis-engaged and as a full locker when engaged via a dash mounted switch ?

This sounds like what I have in my jeep rubicon in the rear, works great in the jeep and was thinking about the same type set up for the RAM. This is the only unit I have located that works as a LS & a locker for the truck.

Any experience ? comments ?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Doesn't look like there's an ECTED application for Dana 60 and larger diffs

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...aftermarket%2f
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by DJM
Anyone have any experience with the Auburn Gear ECTED Max that works as a limited slip differential when dis-engaged and as a full locker when engaged via a dash mounted switch ?

This sounds like what I have in my jeep rubicon in the rear, works great in the jeep and was thinking about the same type set up for the RAM. This is the only unit I have located that works as a LS & a locker for the truck.

Any experience ? comments ?
I thought the Rubicons used ARB Air Lockers in them?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 AM

I think they use an electric locker as well as does the powerwagon I think.

I'd use the powerwagon parts on a 3rd or 4th gen. I don't think the 2nd gen had the AAM axle though.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 AM

No the second gens have dana axels. IIRC the TJ Rubicons use an air locker and the JKs use an electric one.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 AM

No. Both gen rubicons use electric lockers. Both gens also use Dana 44 axles but they are different from each other in size.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:59 AM

I would like to put a set of tj rubicon axles under my yj.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 74dart
I would like to put a set of tj rubicon axles under my yj.
You could go go full width! If I had a yj id have full width dana 60s under it! Not too much fab save for some spring mounts and also the 'free' lift you get by going spring over..
Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 PM
DJM

Red .... is the power wagon rear a limited slip along with a locker ? That is what I am really looking for, just like the jeep rubicon has in the rear.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 AM

Its apparently called a TracRite E-locker... and it comes in the 9.25" and 10.5" (not 11.5") axles used in the Hemi Powerwagons. Found some threads on it:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r-t230011.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868000

I've driven the last two years with lockers both ends ('95 F350 w/Lockright and Detroit) and driven mostly to/from work plus the odd camping trip. Not a big deal. My W250 is getting a lockright as soon as I change the oil in the front diff.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 AM

Location: This Nazi state of California 2nd home Gilbert AZ under God
I love the setup in my signature. I run on logging roads a lot of the time. When I have to lock the front hubs which is rare the Truetrac's spin all four tires. I should says it throws roosters Listen to the people who have them or other locking units as true lockers can be a pain. Air lockers are also nice as I have them in my jeep that is heavily moded with a LT1 and Muncie. For work the Truetracs in my dodge work truck work when needed but don;t have any quirks on the road like some true lockers.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by xjrev10
No. Both gen rubicons use electric lockers. Both gens also use Dana 44 axles but they are different from each other in size.
This is wrong. JKs use electric lockers and I know for a fact a 2004 Rubicon uses air lockers with very expensive parts from what I hear.