Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

How many of you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many of you have?

How many of you have actually been off road hard core to the point that if you get stuck you are severely screwed? What is your story.

Rick
Old 10-07-2005, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen a few ppl stuck to where they were severly screwed. One guy I know was trying to show off for a new girl and ended looking like an idiot. After we finished having a good laugh, it took two dodges and a chevy to pull another chevy out. Luckily the damage wasn't too bad and the guys were able to fix it there before we left. To this day we still have not let him live it down. It's just too bad that we don't have any pictures to remind him what happened when he was trying to be a show off.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No pictures?!?!? Rule #1 around here is if somebody screws up really bad, you MUST have photographic evidence so as others can enjoy the monumental screw up for years to come! For some reason, that rule seems to work against me more often than not!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:30 AM

Me and my brother were out hunting a few years back in his tacoma and were trying to cross this washed out section of the road, big rut and the truck got stuck on the banks sitting on its frame. It was not a good feeling to be out in the middle bfe and not knowing how you were going to get out. Finally after some motivating driving I got the truck out. I'll try and find some pics and post them.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Her are two stories:
First recently this past march The CTD got stuck pulling out of our property. I was not hard core wheeling but got in while the ground was frozen in the morning. I was also pulling a Chipper. Hit a soft spot and she sunk to the frame in the front. Only 20 feet from the road. Had to call a wrecker. When he saw it he said ah no problem have you out in one minute. Well after an hour and repositioning the wrecker half a dozen times he finally got it. When he would start the winch it would just drag the wrecker back or pull it up on two wheels and then drag it.

Second time was 25 years ago in a Chevy 4x4 truck. Being young and dumb and half drunk okay all the way drunk. Out wheeling in a place that we used to go all the time. 12am, in winter and snowing. We used to drive through this pond that had a bedrock bottom. It had just started snowing a couple hours earlier. Get 1/2 way through that section of the pond and ran out of gas. The pond was not frozen when we started. No gas stations around or even open at that area or time. So walk home a few miles go back in the morning around 10. The temp is now below zero. I walk out to my truck on the ice put in some fuel and start her up. She is not going anywhere. The doors scrape the ice when you open them up.

A farmer friend brings his big dual rear wheel JD tractor and no go it just spins the four tires. He says this is crap and goes back to the house and comes back with a huge JD Versatil. The one with 4x4 and big dual rear wheels and front end too. Still no go just spins all 8 tires on the frozen ground. Now I am getting worried. Fortunately they are doing some construction close by and the next day I talk a dozer operator into helping me out. After he hooks up and tries he tells me he is afraid to give it any more power as it may rip the truck off the frame. Now I am thinking great get to wait till the spring thaw.

Then I see this guy unloading a huge Trac Hoe. The type that comes on several trailers and they put together on site. The counterbalances came on their own trailer. I sweet talk him into trying. He says come back the next day about quitting time. He will put the trac hoe together today and tommorrow after he gets done digging for the day he will give it a shot. So the next day go back sure enough he helps out. From the edge of the pond he scoops the ice from almost all the way around the truck with the bucket. Then he has me hook up all the chains and timbers (timbers so the chains dont crush the side of the truck) Then he has me hook the chains to the bucket(the bucket is as big or bigger than the truck). He then proceeds to lift up the entire truck and swing it over to the side of the pond. Truck starts right up but still wont move. Wheels etc are frozen. So after a couple hours with a hatchet and blow torch I free everything up enough to get the truck moving again and apparently no worse for the wear. The trac hoe operator was just shaking his head muttering things like what an idiot except he was using a couple of more descriptive expletives. I gave him his 30 dollars that we agreed to beforehand and even offered him more. He just said no we agreed 30 just dont be so frikking stupid again.

My parents still dont know what really happened. I had told them the truck broke down and was at friends house for the time being. If my dad had known the truth at the time I would not have needed to get it unstuck as I would not have been able to drive for quite some time due to injuries after the whooping I would have received for being so stupid.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 AM

I have a friend with a powerjoke that buried it up to the frame one night. We tried pulling it out with trucks but it didn't work. We even had another friends gas truck with a built 460 on it, and that would get it out.I think he ended up using a dozer to get it out.

Another time we were out wheeling in a ******* jeep one time. There were four of us in that little thing, so it was tight. There was a small swamp hole that a friend could go through with a ranger, so we figured that we could get through it. We made it about half way and got stuck. We tried pulling it out with a truck, then a M tractor, then a 1086 with the pump turned up. We then hooked up both tracotrs and still couldn't get it out. We ended up getting another JD tractor and had to hook up all 3 tractors together to get that little jeep out. We weren't even drinking! It was truely a sight to see all of those tractors pulling out that little jeep. I will never forget that!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

Me and my brother were up wheeling in Estes Park last year and got ROYALLY screwed!!!

My brother was driving a 99 Ford Ranger and I had a 76 F250 with a built 390, 6"lift w/ 36" Swampers. Well anywhoo we got in a nice full day of wheeling and when we got to the end of the trail we decided to jump on another one since it was going to be awhile before it got dark. Everything is going good, trail is FREAKING tight for a full size but none the less a blast. As we get down into this wide open meadow we decided to park and look around for a bit trying to find a good camping spot for later in the summer.

We jumped back in the trucks and start to drive across the meadow. My brother stops real quick and jumps out..................the whole freakin meadow is covered in mud..............no way around it at all. We looked and tried to find the best spot to get through and decided to just give her hell and see what happened. My brother ended up getting stuck twice and I had to pull him out. He finally managed to spin his way through and I tried to follow is same path. Needless to say I had a little to much speed and caught his ruts and tossed me into some sticky soup!!!

A couple other trucks came right after my OOOPPPSS, and tried to pull me out, and nothing worked. My front passenger tire was buried almost 3 foot under ground and had the truck almost sitting on its side with the axles incased in hard dirt ( how that happened I have no clue ) and the tires sunken in slop.

We then decided to head back to Longmont ( about 25 miles from Estes Park ) and go get some shovels and chains. By the time we got back it was almost 10PM. I grabbed my work truck ( 99 CTD Dually ) to try to pull it out with. Me and my brother dug non stop until 5AM the next morning, pulling on it non stop and finally gave up because we were exhausted and COVERED in mud. Later that afternoon we headed back up there with my dad and his 03 F250 and my work truck to try it again. Took about another hour of digging and two trucks hooked together to get me out...............I felt SO STUPID!!!

And the worse part about the whole dang thing was I never got any pictures That was by far the worst stuck truck I have seen to this day. 8 hours of digging, a 3 foot wall of dirt all around the truck, two very PEEVED guys, and a mess of a truck!!!! GOOD TIMES

EDIT

I FORGOT THE BEST PART!!!!!!

Three years ago my brother got stuck in his Toyota at 3AM in almost THAT VERY SAME SPOT!!! I think that I got stuck maybe 5 yards from where he did!!! Thank god for DODGE, that work truck pulled out both of our trucks
Old 10-09-2005, 11:46 AM

ok..how did you get screwed ?? sounds to me more like you just got stuck.

I figured you were gonna say someone stole one of your rigs or something.

And yes, I have had my truck stuck similar to that before. Took 2 - 20,000 # rated manual winches (chain falls) double lined and 2 big a$$ pine trees, and 8 people taking turns pulling to get it out. The 39" swampers were out of sight, but they axles were in hard pack. Broke 3 ****** straps, and burned up 2 warn winches trying to get it out before we went to the shops for the chain falls.

When it came out, the rear axle was sitting crooked under the truck. the right rear leaf spring was 'z' shaped. I had to drive back thru the mudhole that way to get out.

My tcase went out and that was what got me stuck. My buddy said he watched to fronts dig to china, then when they stopped, the rears started.

Like you, it was a 9 pm to 8 am job to get it out.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:06 PM

You guys ought to see a 42k # firetruck buried to the hubs

Yeah that was not a good day...Glad I wasnt the one driving
Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 PM

worst stuck i had

with my old f 250, just buried it to the frame on an old dirt road.. took a john deere to get it out.. My ram, i just dont mess with the mud too much he he he he (right)

Tx
Old 10-09-2005, 01:36 PM

Worst stuck of mine. When I was in high school I borrowed dads truck and went 4wheelin. Barried it up to the hood in a mud puddle. The come along wouldnt budge it so we finally got a ride to get more chains and stuff and when we got back someone stole the spare tire and the battery. Dad about kicked my a@@. Had to drive 30 miles back into town on the alternator and spend a day changing the fluids, starter, and 2 weeks getting the mud/mold out of the carpet. O the good ol days.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:02 PM

that was when my Jeep was a baby. BEfore it looked like this.

Ahhh I miss that thing. Definitely had this thing up to the hood a few times in mud. Also rolled it and drove it home the same night. Another time a wheel came off on the highway coming home from wheeling. It also got left in the woods many a nights when we couldn't get it out. Called in "sick" from work a few times to spend all day digging it out

Good times...
Old 10-10-2005, 12:03 AM

6pm Nov 1984 Raining like cats and dogs my buds and I were trying out a vacant lot next to the restaraunt that we had just eaten at when I sank my 77 CJ-5 up to the axles all 4 in the mud.
My bud tried to pull me out with his 6k warn on the front of his brand new 1983 Toyota PU. To no avail and got stuck in the vile goo in the process.

8pm finally called a tow truck to free us.

8:30-9 pm dark as all get out by now,still raining, tow truck finally shows and proceeds to pull off pavement and finally hooks us up only to find that he is stuck himself.

10pm after much discussion and many beers we are all roasted including the 1st tow truck driver.

10:20 second tow truck shows up! BIG RIG TOW TRUCK!!!! Still on pavement hooks to 1st tow truck, which is still hooked to new toyota, which is still hooked to my little CJ5 and yanks us all out in one fail swoop!!!

Strangely enough I never received a bill for that tow?!!!??

Rick
Old 10-10-2005, 12:34 AM

At Buck island lake third week in March camping under the big jeffrey pine at the east end of the lake all alone. The last tracks were at Ellis creek - they didn't try the snobank coming out of the creek. Snowed 6 inches that night and it occured to me that the old sluice and or the slab might be really tough to get up... Anyway made it out ok but did have some concerns about who I could get to come after the rig if I broke an axle or something. Have pix somewhere will post at a later date.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:02 AM
Banned

In High School i had a 1997 Fird F-250 HD with a 351 V-8. I loved that truck( It was before I knew about Diesels.) I had a friend who had a cool pond that overfilled into a swap. Perfect place to Mud if you dared. One day I got up enough nerver to try it. This mud is complete slop for 4 feet then a hard clay under layer. I hit the stuff at about 40 mph, wheels were spinning like mad and I finally made it through( thanks to 35" Courser MT's) I did this 4 or 5 times and then ran low on fuel. We drove the truck into town and filled up ran back and wanted to do it again. So I came screeming form the road and dived in to the mud. About 30" in I suddenly realized that I was still in 2wd. When I stopped I threw it into 4 and romped it. That just sunk me to the frame. Needless to say we brought out a tractor and got that stuck. A neighbor then had to bring out his Catipillar tracked tractor to pull me out. All in all it cost me 3 log chains new breaks all around and a new front axel ( $2750) but it was worth every second.

Quick Reply: How many of you have?