Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Chains Are Better Than Straps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chains Are Better Than Straps?

I would never touch a chain and hook it to my truck unless it was for a trailer, but i couldnt help but read in this topic where people actually say a chain will fall down when it snaps, and that chains could be better than straps.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=20

I took your guys advice on straps and bought a 27,000# strap to hook my truck up to someone elses with. im sure a chain would work better though
Old 11-14-2005, 08:26 PM

Well, its apples and oranges really....Both are strong, but both will break...Both WILL fly and take you out....But webbing sure carries less mass and KE when it's flying...

BTW, anyone know the strength of 1/2" shackles?

For fun:
http://www.recoverygear.com/DEFAULT1.HTM
Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Every year I go to a Jeep Jamboree USA event and NO chains or straps with steel hooks are allowed due to safety- only straps with folded-back-and-stitched hooks are allowed. I've seen a strap break and I'de much rather get hit by it then one with a hook.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:43 PM

the strap weighs less so therefore it has less potential energy, so it's less likely to hurt you.

don't say i didnt learn anything in physics class.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StrokeThisCTD
I would never touch a chain and hook it to my truck unless it was for a trailer, but i couldnt help but read in this topic where people actually say a chain will fall down when it snaps, and that chains could be better than straps.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=20

I took your guys advice on straps and bought a 27,000# strap to hook my truck up to someone elses with. im sure a chain would work better though
NOT TRUE!!

Yanking out a stump, my chain was saved by my closed pintle hook from causing further damage than if it were on an open hitch... Chains or snaps, enough force on them and they are gonna snap.. ...

I agree on one thing, you guys are right with the strap having more potential energy and causing more damage upon impact, but my guess is it still gonna hit just as hard as any chain, just not as solid a hit due to the webbing.

Newtons law..

For every action, there is an equal yet opposite reaction..

Tx
Old 11-14-2005, 10:26 PM

A friend of mines father was killed pulling out a truck when the chain broke. Came through the back window of his truck and hit him in the head.
Think of it everytime I pull some one. Nothing but nylon straps on my truck.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:27 PM

but the strap weighs less, and the chain weighs more and is more dense resulting in more pounds per square inche of force on impact. which would you rather have dropped on your head from a tall building, a bowling ball or a beach ball that is much larger but weighs the same?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take into account gravity pulling down at -9.8 meters a second

the force is mass of chains and strap x acceleration, and u are correct.

Tx
Old 11-14-2005, 10:34 PM

I find you get a better pull with a strap anyway. The strap will stretch back like a rubber band, giving you more pull. The worst set up, is the nylon rope or strap with a tail hook. ( short length of chain on the end )
The rope breaks and the chain flies.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 PM

you can jerk something with a strap, i have found that this is something you would not want to do with a chain.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Take into account gravity pulling down at -9.8 meters a second

the force is mass of chains and strap x acceleration, and u are correct.

Tx
Professor hilton would be proud.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by drew03
but the strap weighs less, and the chain weighs more and is more dense resulting in more pounds per square inche of force on impact. which would you rather have dropped on your head from a tall building, a bowling ball or a beach ball that is much larger but weighs the same?
Similiar to the old question, which weighs more a ton of bricks, or a ton of feathers....lol
Old 11-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I have a 100' of 4 inch double braided nylon line. Its usually used as mooring lines for ships. They pull just fine and barely even stretch when pulling.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by drew03
I saw a guy loose his right eye when a strap broke. Neither one is safe when they break.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by fozzy777
A friend of mines father was killed pulling out a truck when the chain broke. Came through the back window of his truck and hit him in the head.
Think of it everytime I pull some one. Nothing but nylon straps on my truck.

I was pulling on a stump at my in-laws with the 99. We had a Chain and a duobled strap (strap was from Harbor Frieght). When the strap broke it nicely placed ALL (except for what hung over the tail gate hooked to the hitch) of the 30' chain in the bed of my truck. It missed the rear window by inches.

One time a wrangler was stuck in some muck and a friend also in a wrangler was pulling on him. The owner of the stuck wrangler put the strap around the end of the bumper like a choke chain. My B-in-L stood way back. The end of the bumper went over us and landed about 200' from the stuck vehicle just beyond us.

As said when something breaks neither is safe.

Randy

Quick Reply: Chains Are Better Than Straps?