Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

BFG Mud Terrains

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG Mud Terrains

I've been running Kelly Safari MSR's for about 4 years, 2 sets on my 1500 and 1 set on my 2500. On my 2500 they have worn horribly. I've gotten around 20,000 miles on them and although they still have some tread left, it's not nearly what I expected so it looks like I'll be getting some new shoes for my truck.... 285/75/16 BFG Mud Terrains and I was curious if anyone has experience with the on-road manners of this tire?
Old 12-31-2005, 01:29 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're soft. I had them on my old truck and they wore evenly but quickly too.

Any reason why you really need that agressive of a pattern?

Get some Michelins. 60,000 miles of use if rotated right. Just don't get into anything too deep.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:56 PM

I run the mud terrains on mine and I really like them. Good ride, quite and good traction.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:45 PM

I had mud terrains on one of my toyotas, they were great off road but made alot of noise on road. I sold them and got a set of all terrains, they were a much better tire for someone that isn't off road much.

Coop
Old 12-31-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
Any reason why you really need that agressive of a pattern?
because I can...

it's more for outward appearance than any functional reason and I'm getting a sweet deal on price for 33's....
Old 01-02-2006, 12:01 PM

I've had a set of 35in BFG m/t's on my jeep that have been on there for about 40K miles, They will probly make it to 50K before I decided that they are too bald for my liking. The one thing that I didn't like about the M/T was that they suck on wet roads (then again so do all mud terrains). As for noise, I can't hear anything in my jeep, so who cares how loud they are.

If you are just looking for a set of semi-aggressive looking treads for a street monster or moderate 4-wheeler then the BFG M/T is probly your best choice. I don't know of many MT's that will outlast the BFG.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:54 PM

Smile Firestone destination MT's

Ive got Firestones on mine and from what ive seen they are the same as the bfgs. The 33s i have are quiet have good traction on road and can throw mud more than 30 ft at 2000rpm. In short order I have been real pleased with them. Going to go to maxis just because they are 50 dollars cheeper per tire.

96 2500 4x4 cc auto. new fuel plate 300+ 700+.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:53 PM

I run the bf mudders and I will take these over most other mudders.They get good mileage as long as you keep them rotated.I have a set of trxus mudders on my dodge and they aren't anything to brag about.Don't buy the trxus if you have a heavy foot or if you are towing heavy.Don't know about the whole wet road thing,no complaints on my bf's.......
Old 01-06-2006, 07:04 PM

Bfg M/t

I Ran A Set Of Bfg M/t's. 35-12.50-16's. I Liked Them. In The Mud There Awsome, And Clear Easy. Same In Snow. But I Only Got About 40,000 Miles On Them, With 30% Tred Left. My New Set Are Toyo A/t's. When I Put Them On I Got 4 More Miles Per Gallon! No B.s.

If Your Not Going Off Road A Lot I Would Go With A Set Of Bfg A/t's,
Not The M/t's. They Still Look Good, And Will Last A Lot More Miles.

Or Go With A Se Of Toyos, There Sweet!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:38 PM

I've been into 4x4 for close to 20 years and the BFG mud tires are the best all around tire. I've had them in 31's 33's and 35's same result everytime...

Great tire, anyone that says anything different didn't have an aligned truck, wrong psi, or is simply full of crap...
Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 PM

I am on my 3rd set of 285/75r16 BFG M/T's. They are a good all round m/t. Definately more traction than an a/t off road but they don't handle as well on road in the rain. A m/t is going to wear faster than a street tire for sure, but as soon as you leave the pavement that extra wear is definatly worth it for added traction for me.

Next set I will probably try the Toyo m/t.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:11 AM

They do vibrate pretty good. But BFG tire withstand a lot of abuse. Those tires should last you for about 27,000.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

I've been through 3 sets of BFG MT's and each time they lasted just shy of 50K. Never a blowout under heavy loads and I only picked up one puncture in three years. They've got me through the dunes in Coos Bay, West Virginia coal mine roads, numerous scrap yards, and the mud anywhere I could find it. They're quiet and smooth as can be at 80mph as long as your aligned properly. A little slick in the rain, but with the torque we apply to them any tire will break traction on a wet surface.

Unfortunately I'm sitting on MTR's right now at the recomendation of a friend that look about 1/2 worn at 15K. That's the last time I try to fix something that isn't broken. I'm currently on the wait list for the Toyo MT's so I can get back to a load range E and still have an aggressive tread.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:30 AM

I guess I'm full of crap...

I have owned 2 sets of BFG ATs and both were horrible for our New England conditions. Slippery in the rain and terrible on a slick, freshly plowed road. I tried both sets off road and they didn't work that great there either. The ATs loaded up with mud quickly and didn't want to clean out. The hard rubber compound (same thing that makes wet roads slippery) doesn't have as much traction on very hard surfaces like rocks as a softer tire.

On the other hand, the same thing that makes them lose traction ensure that they last a long time. The hard compound did make them last a long time. I didn't run them all the way down, since they were so terrible in snow that I ended up giving them away, but they wore fine while I had them.

In comparison, my wife watched me put the BFGs to a test just before replacing the tires on my old Jeep. I tried a hill behind our shop in 6" of snow with the BFGs and couldn't even make it in 4x4. I changed the tires that night (had the new tires mounted on another set of wheels) and tried the same hill, and made it in 4x2. My wife couldn't believe the difference. New tires were Wildcat EXTs. Not an expensive tire, but they work well.

Jim
Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 PM

I ran them exclusively on my F250 and my Jeep and usually got 40-50k miles off of a set. The larger wheel sized MT's are D rated and not quite as soft as the smaller wheel size versions. For a mudder, they were very good on the street. As they aged they would get a bit noisey but not as bad as some.

Quick Reply: BFG Mud Terrains