Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum

and new to anything diesel related.. I've owned General Motors products my whole life other than a 2002 Dodge 1500 for a couple years.. I'm in the market for a new truck.. Was planning to go with a Ford F150 with the 5.0 liter V8 or possibly the twin turbo charged 3.5 liter Ecoboost V6.. In the past year my wife has gotten back into horse riding and I pull a horse trailer about 11 or 12 times a year.. Normally fairly local here in North Mississippi and the tri state area, but also a couple times a year to the Nashville, TN area & Lexington, KY.. A couple of our local Dodge dealers in the area have Ram 2500 ST crew cab 4x4's with the 6.7 liter Cummins priced within a couple grand of what i would pay for a half ton Ford gas burner.. Trailer, horses, and tack only weigh approximately 6,000 pounds.. i know diesel ranges from $0.80 to $1.00 more per gallon, but if i'm not being mislead, from my understaning with the difference in fuel mileage that the cost would come out in the wash.. What I was wanting to know from you expereienced diesel owners are your thoughts ?? Pro's & con's ?? I hear maintenance cost are much more with a diesel engine.. I know i don't currently need this much truck, but you never know if i may end up with a bigger trailer and hauling more horses?? Any input would be greatly appreciated..
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Personally I wouldn't own anything but the 5,9 's. But I have had
ford and Chevy gassers and have been driving the dodge 5.9 for over 20 years. With the high price of Fuel ou'll find I still save money because of the fuel mileage when towing. Maintenance is only higher if you break something. Study about them and you will find they are well worth the cost. I personally have had one with over a half million miles and 5 with 300k and never had high cost maintenance. The '90 model now has close to 3.4 million and still runs like a peach for the guy down the road! The torque of the cummins will haul your horses around with ease and haul the farm if needed ! Welcome to the mad house !
Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks Whiskers.. I reckon I don't have the option to go with a 5.9 unless I wanted an older model Ram.. This would be my daily vehicle, so I'm going to go with something new, as i drive right at 75 miles per day round trip just straight to work and back home.. I guess emmisions is ruining everything now and into the future.. I did see where the 2012 2500 doesn't require the addition of DEF (urea) which I assume is a good thing ?? I'm in the beginning stages of my research and doing as much as I can in my spare time..