HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
won't start

I have a 99' 2500 4wd. Drove it to the store and came out about 10 min and truck would only crank no fire. Does anybody know where I should start troubleshooting? Thanks in advanced!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:59 AM
Chapter President

Welcome to DTR!

Now - you need to post some data about your truck - mods, gauges, miles on it, etc. - mod your signature so we can all see what you're running....

These trucks need only air and fuel to fire, and I'm pretty sure you're getting air, so -

*Are you out of fuel? The 2nd gens are taking risks when running below 1/4 tank due to the inadequate fuel pick up assemblies and marginal lift pumps on them....and the fuel gauges are somewhat unreliable; Thump the tank to see where your level is.

* Is your CEL (Check Engine Light) on? If you can find someone with a reader, get the codes read: P0216 is the killer, VERY bad if you see it (that's the YP44)

* When was the last time you changed the fuel filter ? It may be time to do so... If this is plugged, you get no fuel to the VP, no fuel to the injectors, and a dead truck.

* The 2nd gen trucks like ours QUITE often kill the VP44 (Injection Pump) due to low pressure / flow from the LP (Lift Pump)...so you need to see if you've any fuel pressure to the VP, and from there to the injectors.
Does the LP run when you turn the key on, prior to start? If so, you can see how much pressure you're putting thru the filter by putting a Schrader Valve on top of the fuel filter, VP side. If the LP does NOT run with key-on, that's the first thing you will need to replace - and it would be a GOOD time to go with a FASS or Walbro pump rather than the OEM style, and add a fuel pressure gauge, assuming you don't already have one!

If you have good pressure post-filter (14+ psi), you need to check at the injector -crack #3 and crank the engine, you should get flow at this point

Post back with what you find -

Good luck!

Rauschbo
Old 10-01-2006, 05:58 PM

i would agree with rauschbo, it sounds to me like a lift pump or a vp44 dying also watch for p1688 that is also a death code for the vp44.

good luck!
chris