HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

up and quit on me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
up and quit on me...

too good to be true... -10F, pregnant wife and kiddo on board... truck up and dies on me... you know the drill. i've had a heck of a time getting this thing to start this winter (*fairbanks) and am wondering if it's a sign of a failing vp. i've read a bit today and think (hope?) the fuel sending unit is lying to me (fuel gauge just a touch under a quarter)? felt like i ran out of fuel though at 55mph and now it won't fire. i've got a 230 and 1689 code- both look like the kiss of death... but could it just be related to the idea of running out of fuel? buddy towed me to the shop and i just added 5 gallons and cracked the banjo nut @ the input of the ip and blew out some air (!). tried to bleed out the high pressure lines at the injectors (#1, 3, & 4) but just saw little amounts of juice after four turns cranking it over 30 sec. each- not the puddle i would expect)- plus, history has shown i suck at bleeding this system i'm charging battery now and looking for reasons to NOT buy a new vp (replaced the lp last summer). any ideas would be great. thanks guys...
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM

oh... signature isn't showing?

2001 with the HO engine

thanks,
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First step is to always change the fuel filter. Doesn't matter if you changed it last week. Put a new one in. You might have a bit of water in your fuel, and it iced, or you might have gotten a little bad fuel, even though that's really not likely in Fairbanks. While you're there, plug the block heater in. A few hours won't cook your batteries in a warm garage, and it'll make a big difference in how the truck cranks. After you get the fuel filter changed and it's warmed up for a few hours, go try to bleed the system. If you had air at the IP inlet, yo'uve got air between the IP and the injectors. Crack as many injectors as you can reach (I usually get at least three) and have someone crank it over. While it's cranking, see which lines start seeping fuel, and carefully, (with a long wrench) tighten those lines. If it starts running, just keep carefully tightening the injectors until it smooths all the way out and runs normally. I always had problems getting my '02 primed after a normal fuel filter change, and gelled fuel was a miserable PITA!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 AM

so you're not really worried about the 230/1689 code that showed up?

thanks man... keep yer head low
Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not right away. A lot of things can cause a code to set, and fuel delivery problems, regardless of what they are, will usually cause a pump related code to set. If it's a plugged line or filter, the codes should reset after a series of successful starts.